List of Linux friendly Kickstarter projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
    It's slowed down considerably since they posted their stretch goals. They need to clarify the game mechanics beyond the dialogs of Planescape, the combat of Icewind Dale, and the setting of Baldur's Gate. All we know is that it is a new RPG system that isn't D20.
    I wouldn't call BGs setting one of it's strong points.
    Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
    I just LOVE how these obsidian trash-generators set Linux support hostage to TWOFOLD of their base demand, just to wrap winelib around.

Nevertheless, thanks for mentioning them...
    A) What proof do you have for that claim?
    B)Alpha Protocol is one of the best RPGs of the past 5 years. Sadly it's not a Forgotten Realms/Fantasy RPG so it passed under a lot of peoples radar.
    Last edited by Raven3x7; 17 September 2012, 07:02 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Raven3x7 View Post
      I wouldn't call BGs setting one of it's strong points.
      I'd rather see a mix of Arcanum and Temple of Elemental Evil than anything similar to Baldur's Gate but from the latest update:

The maximum party size is the player's main character (PC) and up to five companions for a total of six characters. This does not preclude the addition of temporary characters in special circumstances. Companions are never forced on the player. Players can explore the entire world and its story on their own if they so choose. We feel companions are excellent sounding boards for the player's (and other companions') actions, but the story is ultimately about the player's personal conflict among the larger social and political complexities of the world.
      Makes it sound like what BioWare attempted to do with Dragon Age, which was a "mature" Baldur's Gate, it would be rage inducing if not for the ranger dwarf concept art.

Comment

• I thought this looked promising

Comment

• Obsidian has settled on Unity for Project Eternity. Since Unity (4) already supports Linux out of the box they've removed Linux support from the 2.2 million stretch goal and just went ahead and committed to supporting Linux right now. They were easily going to reach the 2.2 million stretch goal anyway, but it's cool to get it confirmed early, I guess.

I'm pretty jazzed about this. The Infinity Engine games were some of my most treasured gaming experiences of my life and they occupy numbers 1 and 2 on my top RPGs ever made list (Planescape: Torment and Baldur's Gate 2 respectively). This project is on track to finish up somewhere between 3.5 and 4.5 million, so Obsidian should have the funds to make something truly meaty. Let's just hope it's less buggy that their usual publisher-backed efforts.

Comment

• Well Project Eternity is going to use Unity so it will support Linux

Liam of www.gamingonlinux.com and www.linux4today.com

Comment

• Originally posted by sirdilznik View Post
              Let's just hope it's less buggy that their usual publisher-backed efforts.
              For the life of me, I have never came across a single bug in any of their games. I have always been able to completely play through their games and finish all quests I start.

The meme that Obsidian games are bug ridden needs to die in fire.

Comment

• I'll be keeping an eye on this one though anyway as it's a genre I used to love!

Comment

• Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                  Arakion will have Linux support at launch.
                  And I think more Linux users need to support Arakion simply for having Linux support right from the start. Seeing games like Project Eternity make Linux support a stretch goal that is double the initial goal of Windows support (and 600 000 US dollars more than Mac OS support) is a bit of a joke in comparison.

Comment

• Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
                    And I think more Linux users need to support Arakion simply for having Linux support right from the start. Seeing games like Project Eternity make Linux support a stretch goal that is double the initial goal of Windows support (and 600 000 US dollars more than Mac OS support) is a bit of a joke in comparison.
                    Actually Project Eternity are supporting Linux from the start now , as they are going to use Unity FYI.

Comment

• Originally posted by liamdawe View Post
                      Actually Project Eternity are supporting Linux from the start now , as they are going to use Unity FYI.

It's not really "from the start" if it's 1.6 million dollars later

Comment

Working...
                      X