• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• icculus
    replied
    Originally posted by mattst88 View Post
    By the way, I'm from Rock Hill!
    Come hang out at the Southeast Linuxfest! It's going to be in Charlotte this year!

--ryan.

Leave a comment:

• mattst88
    replied
    I'm plenty busy.

By the way, I'm from Rock Hill!

Leave a comment:

• icculus
    replied
    One would think it would have been fixed by now. The upstream bug has *260* votes and was reported in May of last year, but there haven't been any updates to the SVN branch since last October.
    You don't look busy. Submit a patch.

--ryan.

Leave a comment:

• mattst88
    replied
    Originally posted by icculus View Post
    I'm sure they'll fix that (soon|eventually). We went through this with SSE and other opcodes, too. They're usually pretty good about this once people start hitting it. When you can run it, you'll be surprised by the things Valgrind can dig up for you.

--ryan.
    One would think it would have been fixed by now. The upstream bug has *260* votes and was reported in May of last year, but there haven't been any updates to the SVN branch since last October.

Leave a comment:

• Vax456
    replied
    Also, out of curiosity, why is Open Dynamics Engine on the list, but not Bullet?

Leave a comment:

• Vax456
    replied
    Originally posted by jhansonxi View Post
    Paid endorsement? Maybe someone from the Blender project bought him a beer.
    Disclaimer: this is just a hobby of mine.

I use Blender a lot. I don't know how to use most of the features it offers, but I do use it for:
    • Creating 3D models
    • Texturing
    • Rigging
    • Animation

It's also integrated pretty well with Ogre3D with the blender2ogre plugin. You can use this to export your mesh's to Ogre (another tool on Ryan's list) and preview the mesh's in OgreMeshy to make sure the mesh, its texture, and animations looks okay before you put it in your application.

You can also preview your scene in Tundra (which also uses Ogre). You can preview your mesh just like in OgreMeshy, but you can also simulate physics. This should be pretty good for testing scenes in a video game.

I've had some problems with the exporter and had to edit a couple lines in the script to get everything working correctly. Other than that, I think using Blender to create Ogre3D applications is a pretty good solution.
    Last edited by Vax456; 03 April 2012, 04:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• icculus
    replied
    Originally posted by vertexSymphony View Post
    Well, except the last 3, I know all of them ...
    Direct links to all the projects I mentioned (and a .pdf of the talk's slides) are here:

--ryan.

Leave a comment:

• icculus
    replied
    Disappointingly, valgrind doesn't support AVX instructions. And being a Gentoo user this means that if you built your system with -march=native that you'll have AVX instructions and can't use valgrind.
    I'm sure they'll fix that (soon|eventually). We went through this with SSE and other opcodes, too. They're usually pretty good about this once people start hitting it. When you can run it, you'll be surprised by the things Valgrind can dig up for you.

--ryan.

Leave a comment:

• icculus
    replied
    Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    Probably just an oversight on his part I am guessing.
    Oops, total oversight on my part. I didn't intend to have a "complete engines" slide at all, so I threw it in there at the last moment for completeness with a note that this isn't close to a complete list. Mostly I wanted to talk about the lower level tools, so a "complete package" slide was always going to be an afterthought.

DarkPlaces is pretty sweet, and good professional games (like Steel Storm: Retribution, etc) are shipping on top of it. I probably should have listed that instead of, say, Crystal Space.

--ryan.

Leave a comment:

• vertexSymphony
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Googling a third of those libs shows this article as the only related result :P
    Well, except the last 3, I know all of them ... maybe the bubble got you? http://dontbubble.us/

Leave a comment:

Working...
X