No announcement yet.

Ryan's Tools For Linux Game Porting, Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ryan, please allow me an offtopic question.
    I'm aware you can't talk about the VALVE offer details.
    But - would you have taken the offer, if you weren't required to move?

Btw, thanks for all your amazing Linux related work!

Comment

Originally posted by e_tank View Post
      i agree, why not bullet?
      I'm sure it's fine, but the slide was accompanied by a statement of "I don't know much about these, but they exist if you want to do more research." I just haven't had much opportunity to work with open source physics libraries.

--ryan.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        Thanks for the links. Though, looks many of them are simply public domain replacements for better known libraries (zlib, libpng, freetype). Are there really places where you can't reasonably use zlib-licensed code?
        Where I recommended replacements (stb_*, miniz), it wasn't a licensing issue. The usual libraries have perfectly fine licenses.

zlib is fine, but has all this bulk and complexity to support ridiculous systems...as illustration, miniz provides a drop-in replacement in 300 lines of C code.
        libpng fails (and fails in hard-to-understand ways) if you used different build options between what you built and what's on the end-user's system, which means you have to ship your own libpng on Linux.
        libjpg and libpng force you to use setjmp(), which is unforgivable.

All of these have dozens of C files and possibly complex build details. The alternatives tend to be a single .c file you drop into your project.

--ryan.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
          But - would you have taken the offer, if you weren't required to move?
          I think my interactions with Valve have been overstated.

--ryan.

Comment

Originally posted by icculus View Post
            I think my interactions with Valve have been overstated.

--ryan.
            Is there a video from your talk at Flourish?

Comment

Originally posted by fettouhi View Post
              Is there a video from your talk at Flourish?
              They usually publish them within a few days...probably this upcoming week? I assume http://twitter.com/flourishconf will let everyone know.

--ryan.

Comment

@icculus

I really want to see Croteam HIB for Linux and Mac OS X similar to:

Find in-depth news and hands-on reviews of the latest video games, video consoles and accessories.

Did you ported Serious Sam to Mac OS X?

Comment

Working...
                X