No announcement yet.

Trine 2 Linux Client Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi guys, Joel from Frozenbyte here, developers of Trine 2. We're still in "stealth" mode regarding the Linux release - so that's why there's not a lot of official information available etc. We made the current beta available to our Humble Store customers so we can gather technical feedback (thanks btw). We will announce the beta officially this week, and final release will probably take a couple of weeks.

The Steam references are only for the Windows version, of course. Linux does not use Steam, it's a DRM-free version naturally. The only downside is that multiplayer won't have as much players as Windows/Steam, but the Linux version will (eventually, after final release) be able to play against other DRM-free Mac and Windows versions (we'll release a DRM free Windows version at some point but not yet).

I hope this helps a bit. Thanks for supporting us in any case, and to those who buy the game I hope you enjoy it.

- Joel, Frozenbyte team, developers of Trine 2

Comment

What about users who have got a steam copy already and want a linux one?

Comment

Ok, linux version here I come (as soon as I get some free time on my hands). I don't like having steam on my PC so this linux release is just what the doctor ordered. Assuming it works on 64bit Ubuntu, that is.

Comment

JoelFB, will you release this on Desura? Trine 1 is on there, but nobody has answered any questions regarding Trine 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            What about users who have got a steam copy already and want a linux one?
            You can email our support at http://www.frozenbyte.com/contact/ and we'll see. We won't make the Linux binaries available on the Steam distribution and the savegames might not be compatible (well they should be but transferring them can be a pain, it might work if transferred from the Steam Cloud user folder, i.e. userdata/xxxxx/37520/remote/slot1 and rename as slot1.fbs to ./frozenbyte/trine2/ in the user home dir).

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            Assuming it works on 64bit Ubuntu, that is.
            Should work fine, I have Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit at home and it worked great. (We only have 32-bit binaries available but it should work ok.)

Originally posted by benmoran View Post
            JoelFB, will you release this on Desura? Trine 1 is on there, but nobody has answered any questions regarding Trine 2.
            Ah, yes we will release Trine 2 on Desura as well. We'll wait until the final release though, most likely, but in any case shouldn't take more than a few weeks I hope.

Comment

The Humble Store has quite a history already of making people grab things before they are 100% ready.

Thank you for the information Joel.

Comment

This is probably the wrong place to ask, but I'll try anyway.

So, I just installed the linux client and tried to run it on my Kubuntu 11.10 64-bit. The "launcher" (the pop-up where you select resolution and such) works fine, but after I click "Start" the screen turns black for 1 second and then I'm back to the desktop.

If I try to start the game "by hand" (bypassing the launcher) the same thing happens, but I get an error in the terminal:
                Code:
                Assertion 'pa_atomic_load(&(b)->_ref) > 0' failed at pulsecore/memblock.c:590, function pa_memblock_unref(). Aborting.
                Aborted
                The only thing that tells me is that it has something to do with PulseAudio, but I have no idea what. Help?

Comment

Originally posted by albatorsk View Post

So, I just installed the linux client and tried to run it on my Kubuntu 11.10 64-bit. The "launcher" (the pop-up where you select resolution and such) works fine, but after I click "Start" the screen turns black for 1 second and then I'm back to the desktop.

If I try to start the game "by hand" (bypassing the launcher) the same thing happens, but I get an error in the terminal:
                  Code:
                  Assertion 'pa_atomic_load(&(b)->_ref) > 0' failed at pulsecore/memblock.c:590, function pa_memblock_unref(). Aborting.
                  Aborted
                  The only thing that tells me is that it has something to do with PulseAudio, but I have no idea what. Help?
                  What does memblock.c say at line 590?

Seriously now, you should ask FB directly. Maybe raise a bug, if they allow it.

Comment

Originally posted by albatorsk View Post

Code:
                    Aborted
                    I had the same problem.
                    For some reason, playing in windowed mode solves this problem for me, don't ask me why :P
                    Give it a try and see if it works for you too.

Comment

Originally posted by Znurre View Post
                      I had the same problem.
                      For some reason, playing in windowed mode solves this problem for me, don't ask me why :P
                      Give it a try and see if it works for you too.
                      Thanks, that works!

However, I have some kind of mental barrier against playing games in windowed mode instead of fullscreen. It's just not the same. I know, I know, I should seek help :P

Comment

Working...
                      X