Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake2World Goes Into Beta With Nice Graphics

Phoronix: Quake2World Goes Into Beta With Nice Graphics

Quake2World, a standalone game built atop the id Tech 2 engine but with sharply better graphics and other improvements, has finally reached a beta state. There's a number of features to this latest open-source first person shooter...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would like to see some games built on top of the Doom 3 engine.

So we can have some modern open source games.

Comment

1997 wants it game back...

Like uid313 said, it would be nice to see open source games with modern engines, something made in the 21st century would be nice. "Nice" 1990's graphics and gameplay are not very entertaining in 2012...

Comment

I was looking BF3 review and its screenshots like http://gamingsquid.com/wp-content/up...2/03/bf3_1.jpg or http://www.gamekyo.com/Webmasters/Im...5131_1_big.jpg and then I looked at this video.

My age suddenly went 10 years back. Michael, it's year 2012 how can you dare say "WITH NICE GRAPHICS". Who are you trying to convince?

Comment

Nice graphics by Linux standards.

Comment

Originally posted by anonymous123456 View Post
            Like uid313 said, it would be nice to see open source games with modern engines, something made in the 21st century would be nice. "Nice" 1990's graphics and gameplay are not very entertaining in 2012...
            So take the source and start to code in it! Make with uid313 a small team and go through the source code and split it into pieces, and see if you can make a level or a monster.
            Quake 2 source is much smaller than Doom 3, so maybe the guys that started it, had less trouble understanding it.
            As for a free-folks I think this game looks great, upgrading Quake2 to look like UT 2003, I think is a great feat, and the gameplay seems to be nice and polished, so I really think they deserve a lot of credit (not April 1st prank)!

Comment

damn people here are picky. this game is VERY detailed for what it is. yes, in today's standards it is not impressive at all but its not an eyesore. to me the problem about this game is it doesn't offer anything new. there are too many generic FPSes out there, we don't really need another one. on the commercial side, I'm sick of games like BF and COD (WW2 and modern), and on the indie/free/open-source side i'm tired of seeing these fast-paced deathmatch games. Prey was probably the most original FPS i've played and that game was very short with very little replay value.

what i think would be cool is a simple, fast-paced deathmatch game liike quake2world or unreal tournament, but using mideval weapons and spellcraft. there's no reason deathmatch games MUST be played using only projectiles, and there's no reason olde tyme weaponry MUST be played in adventure/RPG games. something like this wouldn't require some crazy leveling tree or a drag'n'drop inventory or a "dice rolling" system. you just pick a class and join the action and try picking up better weapons or scrolls.

Comment

If you need like 4+ years to port/create a game on top of a newer engine then don't bother at all, by the time you're done it's gonna be unimpressive and likely obsolete, instead, focus on finishing porting/creating the game within 1-2 years.

Comment

Q2W is lesser-known outside the community of ID Tech engine hackers, but among them it is a very well-respected engine. It pioneered a lot of optimizations which were later picked up by other engines, and remains one of the most efficient engines out there. (And no, obsolete engines like stock Q2 are not automatically fast, because they were optimized for obsolete hardware and much lower detail levels.) If you're into that sort of thing, have a look through their codebase, you might find some cool stuff. (My favorite is of course the "infamous" r_optimize.)

Also, the video doesn't really do it justice. Here's a better one:
                  A brief run-through of TRaK's new map Penumbral Wake for Quake2World. Beta release set for April 1st 2012.

I'd say it's actually almost competitive with Doom 3 in terms of graphics, although to be fair D3 is no longer really the engine to beat among open-source engines.
                  Last edited by MaxToTheMax; 02 April 2012, 05:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    I would like to see some games built on top of the Doom 3 engine.

So we can have some modern open source games.
                    CRX, DarkPlaces, XreaL, and probably a few others have been more advanced than Doom 3 since before it was open-sourced. D3 didn't even use GLSL extensively.

Comment

Working...
                    X