No announcement yet.

A Message From Valve's Gabe Newell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dunno, I can't say I've ever heard someone say "If only Mac had this feature, I'ld switch over". Even with steam coming to Mac, did anybody change OS? This is a different situation with Linux, there are people waiting to make the switch.

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
      Now, wouldn't a Steam console make most sense when Valve is able to use the entire Steam (back) catalogue?
      Sadly, I fail to see how that is possible with a Linux-based system.
      Many people I know spend most of their gaming time in 1-3 games (css, wow, dota). Some of them said directly that if those were available they'd switch the same day.

Extrapolating, I'd say they don't need their entire back catalog. Just the most wanted ones, and that's enough for many to switch.

Comment

• Originally posted by curaga View Post
        Many people I know spend most of their gaming time in 1-3 games (css, wow, dota). Some of them said directly that if those were available they'd switch the same day.

Extrapolating, I'd say they don't need their entire back catalog. Just the most wanted ones, and that's enough for many to switch.
        Maybe... But is it worth the effort for Valve?

I'd really like this to become reality. Steam and Source on Linux would be wonderful.
        Additionally, the distribution platform may be an incentive for other publishers to release Linux ports.

On the other hand, this also comes with a very high danger IMHO.
        "If" Valve fails with Steam on Linux (for whatever reason), my bet is that this would be the death
        blow for AAA gaming on Linux and nothing great like this will ever emerge again in the future.

But ofcourse, someone has to try first...
        Let's hope that it'll be a great success!

Comment

• maybe valve can post it on kickstarter.com

Comment

• Rumors fluttering about Valve's entry into the hardware market just got a little less salty. According to the outfit's own jobs page, it's prepping to offer consumers "whole new gaming experiences." A call for an experienced electronics engineer says it all, "For years Valve has been all about writing software that provides great gameplay experiences. Now we're developing hardware to enhance those experiences." The ideal candidate ought to have a hefty load of prototyping experience, a knack for working with embedded systems and microcontrollers, a proficiency in thermal management, high speed serial interfaces, ARM / x86 system design, and more. We're not about to hazard a guess at what this adds up to, but Valve promises it's more compelling than "me-too mice and gamepads." Hit the source link below to apply, get hired, and let us know what's up.[Thanks, Alexis]

hm.

Comment

• More and more the rumours point to a console/hardware device being created by Valve. IMHO it makes business sense for the drive for Linux steam and source engine to come from this push. Even though the majority of the games available for Steam are only MS Windows compatible, maybe they'll surprise us with something for the long term.

It almost seems a bit "Don't put all your eggs in one basket"...

Comment

• 10 days or so to ponder...
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  10 days or so to ponder...
                  Nothing to add, but - indeed!
                  Hope you can get some answers Michael!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kamikaze View Post
                    More and more the rumours point to a console/hardware device being created by Valve. IMHO it makes business sense for the drive for Linux steam and source engine to come from this push. Even though the majority of the games available for Steam are only MS Windows compatible, maybe they'll surprise us with something for the long term.

It almost seems a bit "Don't put all your eggs in one basket"...
                    I'm not sure they'd come right out and say that was their plan though, even if it were. It'd make more sense to release a linux steam, big screen mode, then attempt to persuade other developers to use linux by saying we'll give you a better deal if your game is steamplay.

Then we would see the Linux steambox, though at this point it could well be based on Windows, but that seems a bit silly considering they'd be directly competing with Games for Windows Live and the Xbox.

Who knows though.

Comment

• Considering the next consoles look more like weak PCs ("the PS4 may use the AMD A8-3850 APU and Radeon HD 7670 GPU" and maybe the "Xbox 720 using the Radeon HD 6670"), its pretty reasonable that Valve wants to iron out Linux for a possible Steambox.

Comment

Working...
                      X