A Message From Valve's Gabe Newell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
    There is no reason to trust Michael. He's just a random guy on the internet that happens to have a blog.

I imagine it would result in a huge thread on his forum with two distinct groups arguing over whether or not he is lying. Kinda like this huge thread that has two distinct groups of people arguing about whether or not he is lying.

What proof? A picture of an email that could easily be faked with vim and gimp? That's all it takes for you to believe anything? How does your credit survive all of the phishing attempts on the web?

Seriously, without a public beta from Valve it's just a bad joke.
    Michael is making money on this site. If he was lying he will loose a lot of money, because many people would just turn adblock on or even leave Phoronix. Let's hope we'll get something more official.

Comment

• The burden of proof

The burden of proof is very much on those claiming someone is a liar. That is a very serious accusation to make. Notice though, just because you aren't a liar you can still be mistaken or lied to. Lying implies an attention to deceive and as such excludes mere mistakes or humor and other forms of speech.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
        The burden of proof is very much on those claiming someone is a liar. That is a very serious accusation to make. Notice though, just because you aren't a liar you can still be mistaken or lied to. Lying implies an attention to deceive and as such excludes mere mistakes or humor and other forms of speech.
        I have posted evidence the last time this got really hyped here. After how Phoronix behaved the last time when asked for proof of such a claim Phoronix belittled those requesting it.
        Phoronix was shown to be over-hyping (over many,many months..) an in-passing,non-substanciated throwaway remark made in a sunday tabloid, hype that ONLY stopped once Valve came out with a press statement to contradict it

Essencially Phoronix have form for spinning shit like this.
        Likewise noone has actually called Phoronix/Michael a Liar, we are asking for independent citable evidence, remember it is Phoronix/Michael that are making these claims, the onus is on them to back them up, NOT on us to prove he is right - we never made the claims that Valve are actively searching for game coders for linux

The burden of proof is on Phoronix here not anyone else

Comment

• Originally posted by kraftman View Post
          Michael is making money on this site. If he was lying he will loose a lot of money, because many people would just turn adblock on or even leave Phoronix. Let's hope we'll get something more official.
          Do you really believe that he loses money with these blog posts that guarantee massive page views from people arguing about it in his forums?

Comment

The burden of proof is always on the person making the outrageous claims, in this case the claim is Steam coming to Linux.

Comment

I don't think you get the issue at hand here. Everyone can claim something will happen in the distant future and get away with it since there's no way to refute it. Why hasn't phoronix stated any _concrete_ dates if it's so certain there will be a client? The fact those claims are lying about (ha, ha) so long and haven't materialised _is_ already proof enough that this is some form of lie, intended or not. Even if it turns out true it doesn't make it better. I mean if you go about following this logic then I can claim blue aliens will land here in the future or anything else I want. In dubio pro reo is only relevant when you accuse someone of doing something wrong, not when you look at someone completely random who's making completely random speculations.
              Last edited by susikala; 01 April 2012, 10:34 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by susikala View Post
                I don't think you get the issue at hand here. Everyone can claim something will happen in the distant future and get away with it since there's no way to refute it. Why hasn't phoronix stated any _concrete_ dates if it's so certain there will be a client? The fact those claims are lying about (ha, ha) so long and haven't materialised _is_ already proof enough that this is some form of lie, intended or not. Even if it turns out true it doesn't make it better. I mean if you go about following this logic then I can claim blue aliens will land here in the future or anything else I want. In dubio pro reo is only relevant when you accuse someone of doing something wrong, not when you look someone completely random who's making completely random speculations.
                And that is what separates a news and review site from a gossip site
                Let me quote:
                Phoronix Media is the largest Internet media company devoted to enriching the Linux hardware experience and catering its content to Linux gamers and computer enthusiasts. Its properties primarily focus on Linux hardware reviews, software previews, community technical discussions, and other technology related topics. Phoronix Media also backs a free software repository and the leading open-source Linux benchmarking software.
                So what are Phoronix? a review site or a gossip site? if it is a review site than based upon how they handled this same farce 2 years ago they require some independent citation, otherwise the creditability of Phoronix as a review site has again dropped and they are turning more into some random blogger who spews anything to drive traffic to their site for some google ad rev...

Comment

• How about people give it one month (until May) to call Michael a liar? Until then, please sit back and come down.

@kraftman: would you please clear your private messages? They're full. I have a question related to the KDE distribution you're running.

Comment

• Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                    @kraftman: would you please clear your private messages? They're full. I have a question related to the KDE distribution you're running.
                    Ok, I'm also waiting for another one and I didn't know there's such low limit at Phoronix.

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
                      Even (and hopefully) if this turns out to happen eventually, credibility seems lost somehow.
                      Didn't came across a single news page jumping on that train (again).

Comment

Working...
                      X