A Message From Valve's Gabe Newell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by susikala View Post
    Just make a video of the game running under linux and everyone will believe you. I'm sure your ever exclusive direct access to sources will allow you to do that, wouldn't it?
    Just don't do it at April Fools' Day.

Comment

• Even (and hopefully) if this turns out to happen eventually, credibility seems lost somehow.
      Didn't came across a single news page jumping on that train (again).

Comment

• exactly!
        I can see it now and I even commented on it that when Valve release STEAM/SOURCE for linux (as I do believe some day in the future it will happen), Phoronix/Michael will be all over it "see see I told you that it was coming!!!"

The issue I have with the sensationalistic rumour driven journalism that is employed by Michael is that it gets peddled as fact far to often.

I have no problem with a rumour/hint of something being reported... but to stubbornly stick to a jackanory tale in face of other mounting evidence - I mean go back and read some of the other articles where he holds onto the "it will be released this summer" and upto when valve publically announce "no client due" - He basically belittled those who didn't believe him.

Fact is we didn't believe because no citable proof was provided WHILE there was signs it was not happening (posta3 being pulled for linux...)

Its happening again, no real proof... a screenshot of some email doesn't count - like I said some link from a valve controlled domain.

Let it be recorded now: Microsoft will release office for linux.
        You heard it here 1st and I believe that some day it will occur, doesn't matter if it is 2years after the fact or 10years! I said it would happen

Comment

• I want to believe, but the "independent proof" not being independent at all makes this hard for me.

Comment

• It'd be pretty darn cool if this Valve + Linux effort lead to something like a "SteamBox" running Linux.

Comment

• I'd just like to add how easy it is to doctor something, with a little something I whipped up in ~15 minutes:

It strikes me as odd that Michael took a photo of his screen instead of just taking a screenshot.

Comment

• Originally posted by leif81 View Post
                It'd be pretty darn cool if this Valve + Linux effort lead to something like a "SteamBox" running Linux.
                That was another rumor that got debunked by Valve.

Comment

• If Valve was doing something for Linux, they'd know that sending an e-mail about a Linux programmer to a Linux news site (?!?) rather than through more discreet channels would be tantamount to announcing it, so why not just put out a press release/announcement? That's another thing that doesn't make any sense. It would be like Angelina Jolie e-mailing the National Inquirer tabloid and asking "You cover a lot of celebrity divorces... can you recommend a good divorce lawyer?"

Comment

• Originally posted by alcalde View Post
                    so why not just put out a press release/announcement?
                    Because Valve isn't announcing support for Linux. They are simply making R&D efforts. Iff it pans out, then we'll get a press release.

Comment

• Originally posted by alcalde View Post
                      That was another rumor that got debunked by Valve.
                      Hardly. Valve just said they are "a long way from Valve shipping a hardware device". It certainly doesn't mean SteamBox isn't in the works.

Comment

Working...
                      X