No announcement yet.

Hurrican SDL Port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basically it is impossible that oss is emulated without using padsp on u 12.04 as the kernel does not support oss emulation. Are you REALLY sure that you can get a /dev/dsp with u? aoss/padsp are just wrappers for outdated software. However pulse audio is routed as default alsa device if you mean that.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      Basically it is impossible that oss is emulated without using padsp on u 12.04 as the kernel does not support oss emulation. Are you REALLY sure that you can get a /dev/dsp with u? aoss/padsp are just wrappers for outdated software. However pulse audio is routed as default alsa device if you mean that.
      ALSA can emulate OSS fine. However, PADSP has race conditions with libmikmod, which is what was fixed in lastest libmikmod. Which is still not inside.

You can check this very easy by yourself. But I don't know if debian sid, which your distro is based off is using lastest libmikmod or not. Neverless:

apt-get install gweled

and run it inside terminal for minor debugging, first run directly, second run opening PA mixer or anything that plays sound, even alsaplayer somewav. Trying to route it through PADSP won't help either.

Comment

new xserver - same probs

Hi Pickle!

TI updated their xserver / PVR drivers yesterday so I updated then did a clean build of Hurrican (with the small changes to the Makefile I've mentioned previously) but I still have the same problems.

crazycheese:

Its funny you mention the sound (ie the libmikmod bit) a a problem as that is the only thing that is working under Hurrican on Pandaboard for me. I'm running Pulseaudio without any probs whatsoever - JACK with the onboard audio is a different story.

Comment

Originally posted by danboid View Post
          Its funny you mention the sound (ie the libmikmod bit) a a problem as that is the only thing that is working under Hurrican on Pandaboard for me. I'm running Pulseaudio without any probs whatsoever - JACK with the onboard audio is a different story.
          Danboid, have you tried running something using the sound in PARALLEL to hurrican?
          Because, if you don't have any sound apps, then libmikmod grabs the monopoly over audio card and works ok in ALSA oss emulation.
          Also, it does not work with pulse audio at all, because if you start pulseaudio volume control, you can clearly see that application using libmikmod is not using pulse audio sink (no application volcontrols there).

Comment

I think the debate on libmikmod is not worth much, really for a much better experience the libmodplug support should be used. The issue I had with libmikmod was how multiple tracks were handled internally. Again libmodplug solves all of the issues and is thought to have better sound quality.

danboid: so you get the crack intro and then once you hit a key it freezes? There nothing graphically special going on there, just a progress bar while everything is being loaded.

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle View Post
              I think the debate on libmikmod is not worth much, really for a much better experience the libmodplug support should be used. The issue I had with libmikmod was how multiple tracks were handled internally. Again libmodplug solves all of the issues and is thought to have better sound quality.

danboid: so you get the crack intro and then once you hit a key it freezes? There nothing graphically special going on there, just a progress bar while everything is being loaded.
              Ah, no, you missunderstood. It was not "debate", it was a bug, that is fixed in recent version. Again thanks for the port!

Comment

@crazycheese

I know, but not when the kernel config is without alsa oss support. The kernel 3.2 form U 12.04 is definitely without - check:

# CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS is not set
                # CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER_OSS is not set

There will be never a /dev/dsp with those kernels!

Comment

@crazycheese

I know, but not when the kernel config is without alsa oss support. The kernel 3.2 form U 12.04 is definitely without - check:

# CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS is not set

There will be never a /dev/dsp with those kernels!
                  I'm currently under Linux Mint DE x64:
                  Code:
                  linux cc # ls -lh /dev/dsp 
                  crw-rw---T+ 1 root audio 14, 3 Aug  3 11:00 /dev/dsp
                  linux cc # cat /usr/src/linux-
                  linux-headers-3.2.0-2-amd64/  linux-kbuild-3.2/
                  linux-headers-3.2.0-2-common/ 
                  linux cc # cat /usr/src/linux-headers-3.2.0-2-amd64/.config |grep CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS
                  CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS=m
                  CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS_PLUGINS=y
                  linux cc # cat /usr/src/linux-headers-3.2.0-2-amd64/.config |grep CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER_OSS
                  So, under Ubuntu you shouldn't theoretically get sound at all... Unless they pushed lastest version in :/
                  Well, just upgrade, and case closed.

Comment

You use Debian and not Ubuntu! When do you get it?

Comment

You use Debian and not Ubuntu! When do you get it?
                      Geesh, I know. I didn't know Ubuntu kernel was built completely without OSS support as you wrote. It doesn't matter which distro you use, actual build config does matter.
                      So, if you want to test on Ubuntu behaviour, try run firefox html5 video and then in this time start gweled, to see if you can get sounds out of it. The chance that I get to Ubuntu is very low, probably in VM. I will be migrating from this distro very soon as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X