X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So nothing new.

Comment

If you read the Fractal Tree PDF

You'll notice that fractal trees use lots of CPU time and memory storage (plus bandwidth) as a method of being able to write to disk at full speed.

They have to keep much of the index in memory in order to lay down data sequentially. They mention 1GB minimum.

But, according to their math, the fractal tree is better overall for read and write to a rotating disk. Interesting.

Comment

The year of the Linux desktop will never come

There will not ever be a widely succesful Linux desktop, because the desktop concept is pretty much dead.

Let's take a look at what's happening:
        Ubiquitous computing: tablet, smartphones, coffeemachines, whatever...
        The internet is not in full swing; it's just getting started! Plans are well underway to put a SoC into every device and hook it up to the internet. Protocols are underway.

So imagine you have an apointment on your tablet/phone, a ubiquitious speaker will wake you up the next morning (alarm clock), the coffeemachine will make sure your coffee is ready, the heater will have already warmed your house and when you walk out of the door with your stuff, the door on your car will unlock and the car will automatically drive you to your destination for your appointment. The EU thinks this will become the normal way of life around the year 2020.

Cloud computing (Bill Gates and Steve Jobs)
        Rember the Microsoft vision of the future? Everyone will have a server in the wall (lol... wall?), somewhere in the house. What they mean is, of course, a server. This should power everything that you own. Windows tablet edition was Bill Gate's hobby project and part of this future vision.

Meanwhile Steve Jobs was working on his iDevices, which he claims to be part of the post-PC era. Many people seem to think that what he means is that we will do all of our work on tablets and smartphones. They are missing the point completely.

Let's rewind the clock and look at the introduction of te iMac. The "i" stands for "internet". And it all suddenly makes sence. iTunes: internetTunes; buying music from the internet for your internetPod. internetPhone: remember Steve saying, at unveiling the iPhones, that nobody needs apps, because you can use the web for webapps? Tada! And before the iPhone there was the internetPad (iPad) that they worked on.

iOS stands for internetOS. You can add webpages as icons on the homescreen, because that's what it was designed for.

Google's CEO (ex Sun) Eric Schmidt, said that his viseon for Google was that in order to get rid of the Microsoft monopoly, he simply needed the web as his Win32, because that could be run everywhere. The reason for Chrome was obviously making webapps runs faster (javascript engine boost).

AppStores are interim solutions
        Sadly, the state of webapps is pretty painfull and HTMLv5 is stillnot quite there yet. Plus; you can't make money from running someone's webapp on the iPhone. 3G networks are painfull for doing more than just browse Phoronix. Here be appstores. Microsoft is more aggresive on this one as thei Metro interface is HTMLLv5-ish. And why would that be?

You will never take my desktop away from me, you avarage computern00bs!!! I will not code on a Tablet!
        What do you mean by desktop? Are you sure you don't mean having a configuration work a large screen, a keyboard and a mouse? Just hook a big screen terminal with a LAN cable to your server and connect a keyboard and mouse to your screen terminal. Your IDE is running on your server. Personal Cloud Computing.

Cloud *ulgh*... buzzwords!
        In case you still aren't aware of what Cloud realy stands for, it's; Distributed compute services and resources. In other words Plan 9 from Bell Labs. Jup; they were ahead of their time once again.

Conclusion
        It's the death of Linux on the desktop and it's the birth of Linux on everything! Watch out for that AppleTV being just an iCloud (internetCloud) terminal comming to a store near you in 2000-something Meanwhile KDE is already kicking ass with OwnCloud and integration into the desktop and multiple work spaces. Fedoraa is already kicking ass with Cloud stuff that's underway to make your own homeserver, easy peasy style. And finaly; Gnome... It's dead Jim; they just don't know it yet...

And so Steam will never come to Linux. Simply because it's a x86 Desktop Computer Thing.

Comment

OK, people say Valve has no plans to bring Steam to Linux anytime soon and the desktop is a dying idea anyway.
          But for now, there's 4,102 Steam members in the Steam Group "We want Steam client for Linux!" and a Linux thread in the Steam Forums that goes on for 99 pages.
          Yes, that a small percentage of total Steam users, but that's only the very vocal percentage and its likely many other Linux users feel the same.
          I don't mind if Steam keeps getting brought up over and over here on Phoronix.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
            It's the death of Linux on the desktop...
            Three windows replacements (as in removal) on desktops this year. Linux is already on desktops (not just "ready for") for 4-5 years.
            I don't understand this "when will linux be on desktop" thing, it is already.

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post

I wonder why noone bothered to read the PDF linked in the news. Neither the reader who suggested it, nor Michael who considered it newsworthy, nor anyone in the forums who's been asking about it...
              Speak for yourself please!
              I did read it and found it interesting enough to send it to phoronix.

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
                So, if you want to use f-trees, you need to create a new filesystem. But you shouldn't. Why?

Because F-Trees were created with databases in mind. They're optimized for operations that either don't exist in a regular filesystem, or aren't performance critical.
                Yeah, I can't think of many cases where you're inserting a lot of keys into filesystems. Maybe extremely busy maildir servers? (I don't know.. even then, it sounds like this needs a much bigger job than anything I've ever had to work on, so maybe mail is a bad example.) It might be fun to try to build something on the idea, just to try it out as a replacement for reiserfs or something like that.

Even if it works, though, it doesn't make btrfs' structures "obsolete" because most filesystem loads don't have lots of insert activity. One of Linux's strengths (it pretty much creams every other OS at this) is its diversity of filesystems, instead of being crippled by relying on a jack-of-all-trades-but-master-at-none like ntfs or hfs+. Use the right tool for each mountpoint's job; there's never going to be one best answer that applies to all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                  Three windows replacements (as in removal) on desktops this year. Linux is already on desktops (not just "ready for") for 4-5 years.
                  I don't understand this "when will linux be on desktop" thing, it is already.
                  Yeah but it's not the year of the "Linux breaks out of cult status and starts dominating marketshare"-desktop.

Actualy all that inux is missing is some killer apps here and there. I mean if Fedora has SystemD automatically loading hid-wiimote (Linux 3.1 and up) and BlueZ plus the Wiimote profile plugin (some non-standard pairing issues) then you basically have a Wii. OpenGL 2.1 support in Mesa, good enough Gallium drivers for cheap AMD cards. Why aren't there some nice JOGL games? You don't even need to package the damn software for a distro as it's just standard Java packageing.

--

Anyway... all I'm saying is that Stean=m is either going to die, or it's going to become like OnLive and Gaikai and by then it's platform independant anyway and it doesn't matter anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                    the bottleneck in a PC is the hard-drive not the cpu and not the ram i do have already 4gb of ram in my pc and i can upgrade it to 16gb ram for maybe 40? its cheap very cheap

the slowest part of my pc is my hard-driver a mechanic one with only 75mb/s

so please we really need fractal trees!
                    Hah, can you imagine the uproar on these forums if Linux started requiring 4GB ram and quad-core CPUs as minimum specs? If the kernel reserved 1GB memory for nothing but the filesystem? People would be going insane yelling about how much better Win7 could do with lesser specs.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                      Hah, can you imagine the uproar on these forums if Linux started requiring 4GB ram and quad-core CPUs as minimum specs? If the kernel reserved 1GB memory for nothing but the filesystem? People would be going insane yelling about how much better Win7 could do with lesser specs.
                      I would applaud the hell out of it. RAM nothing but disc cache, so why don't we... you know... fill it?

Do you know how idiotic the following sounds?:
                      "OMG Imagine if Linux would toaly fill up the entire L3 cache of the latest i7?!!?!?! OMFG"

So how retarted is it that Linux/Windows/whatever does not fill up the RAM?
                      Last edited by V!NCENT; 24 March 2012, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X