Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
    This is not true.
    Maybe, it's just suggestion. Contract details is covered under NDA anyway.
    Take OilRush for example, which can be found on both Steam and Desura (and even the USC).
    They sign contract under old conditions, before it's changed.
    a direct rip-off (Indie Royale), although I think this is also not true.
    Conspiracy theory: because Indie Royale is by same peoples as Desura, Valve may show them old version of agreement to make them never know

The most likely cause for all this I think is that most developers simply never heard of Desura.
    Same for few first Bundle's right? But all games from first Bundle's are present on Desura. The strange thing is: all participants of HB in fact suddenly stop publishing their games on Desura. Something stop they from doing this

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
      Same for few first Bundle's right? But all games from first Bundle's are present on Desura. The strange thing is: all participants of HB in fact suddenly stop publishing their games on Desura. Something stop they from doing this
      I don't recall which bundle it was (3 I think?), but there was one with which Desura keys weren't bundled at all, even though most if not all the games later appeared on Desura as well.
      That said, you're right about the trend, and it definitely does seem a little bit strange.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
        Yeah, strange how they stopped publishing them on Desura just after they launched the Linux client, I would have expected the opposite now that Desura offers access to a platform that Steam doesn't cover, but there must have been some other reason unrelated to that.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          Why's that, do you have links to the backstory etc?
          I can't link you to any direct sources, but from being on their IRC and reading on reddit etc., it seems that it's been too much hazzle for the Humble Bundle team to add the games to Desura themselves. They've said, however, that if the game developers do the hazzle themselves, they'll be glad to include them.

Besides that, I also think the Royale bundle thing (from Desura) was a little backstab from their side.

Comment

Originally posted by Moller View Post
            Besides that, I also think the Royale bundle thing (from Desura) was a little backstab from their side.
            Yeah, because the humble bundle bundled before it was cool. Seriously, though, who cares? Anything that brings publicity to independent developers can't be a bad thing and backing up the game installers on your own really isn't that big of a deal.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
              Yeah, because the humble bundle bundled before it was cool. Seriously, though, who cares? Anything that brings publicity to independent developers can't be a bad thing and backing up the game installers on your own really isn't that big of a deal.
              For me personally, the problem is that the Royale guys feed on the popularity of the original Humble Bundle,
              while not living up to its standards (crossplatform support for example).

Comment

The biggest problem with Indie Royale is that is it is not really that humble. No guaranteed cross-platform support, no charities, etc... so it is bound to seem like a crass rip off.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                  The biggest problem with Indie Royale is that is it is not really that humble. No guaranteed cross-platform support, no charities, etc... so it is bound to seem like a crass rip off.
                  How else are "independent" studios going to reach the public eye? A bundle sale puts your game in front of more people than a few late sipping douches and their word of mouth ever will.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                    How else are "independent" studios going to reach the public eye? A bundle sale puts your game in front of more people than a few late sipping douches and their word of mouth ever will.
                    Umm... I am not sure, is that last bit directed at me? If it is, I am seriously laughing...

The problem here is the assumption that being an independent game studio necessarily means they deserve your support. They have to attract your interest, as you readily admit, but if they are not making a game that targets my platform I have no reason to care or even wish them well. I do not necessarily wish them any unwell, but why should I support them?

Indie Royale has not done enough for me to consider it worthwhile, and you can honestly question their motives.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                      Umm... I am not sure, is that last bit directed at me? If it is, I am seriously laughing...
                      Unless you are a hipster that only buys these because of the word "Indie" that has been slapped on, then no, it's not directed at you.

you can honestly question their motives.
                      Developers have to eat.

Comment

Working...
                      X