Ryan "Icculus" Gordon Will Be Speaking In Two Weeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    I would like to see some free, open source Linux games based on the nowadays open source Doom 3 engine.
    Me too, though looks-wise FOSS engines have gone past it.

Comment

*other FOSS engines

or

*FOSS-from-the-start engines

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        *other FOSS engines

or

*FOSS-from-the-start engines
        Name one with an integrated tool set, documented level scripting, and integrated physics engine. Just one.

Comment

integrated tool set
          doom3 doesn't have one either, released openly at least. *Radiant can be used with the FOSS engines too, but MD5/MDR models have no real tools, and those were the only model formats supported there (perhaps md3 still is?, but no skeletal animation there).

documented level scripting, and integrated physics engine
          These are usually modular as usual. Why force users to foo, when bar may fit better?

Comment

doom3 doesn't have one either, released openly at least
            DoomRadiant, the particle editor, etc. are all in the initial code dump. So yes, yes it does. Check your facts.

Comment

I mentioned Radiant, didn't I? There's nothing on the character models that I know of. No blender plugin, no standalone obj-or-whatever-format to md5 converter, and so on.

Since the models are kind of important in a game, lacking the pipeline for those would indeed make it a "not integrated toolset".

Comment

No blender plugin, no standalone obj-or-whatever-format to md5 converter, and so on.
                The maya import/export plugin was included so again, check your facts. Oh and if you can't find an import/export addon for blender, you aren't looking hard enough.

Intelligent search from Bing makes it easier to quickly find what you’re looking for and rewards you.

Comment

Yes, I'm aware of a _third-party_ md5 plugin for blender. Are you aware that Maya is not free?

I wouldn't define "third-party with some bugs and lacking features" the integrated toolset you're after, "released as one integrated set, well tested".

Comment

Are you aware that Maya is not free?
                    Are you aware that you have yet to list a single game engine with an integrated toolset like Id Tech 4?

Comment

I'm saying Tech4 doesn't have one either, when discussing FOSS engines and therefore FOSS tools.

Comment

Working...
                      X