No announcement yet.

Mephistopheles: Not All Linux Games Sell Well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do accept constructive criticism. I haven't seen any here. I agree that ToM doesn't show too much of excitement yet to some people, yet other people have seen the fun aspect in it. I suppose it depends on genre preference. Maybe video reveals too much and screenshots would do better marketing than video. I don't know, I am not a marketing / PR guru

I am excited about SS2 as well I have total control over the game, so that particular aspect makes it very interesting to develop. Plus it will be modding friendly.

Thanks for the advice on trolls.

Comment

Originally posted by motorsep View Post
      I do accept constructive criticism. I haven't seen any here. I agree that ToM doesn't show too much of excitement yet to some people, yet other people have seen the fun aspect in it. I suppose it depends on genre preference. Maybe video reveals too much and screenshots would do better marketing than video. I don't know, I am not a marketing / PR guru

I am excited about SS2 as well I have total control over the game, so that particular aspect makes it very interesting to develop. Plus it will be modding friendly.

Thanks for the advice on trolls.
      there has been some constructive criticism here. i admit my posts may have been a bit blunt (but not intentionally mean) but i intend you to do well and i want to see progress. as for those who are blatantly trolls, yes, they're insulting and you don't want to take their opinions too seriously, but there can often be some truth behind them (albiet, very exaggerated). so basically, listen to people like the trolls but only take them half as seriously as you would/should to people who go out of their way to tell you how to be successful and confident.

i would have to agree 110% with everything larian has said. disregarding anything he said would be arrogant or idiotic.

Comment

I know people behind Xonotic personally. They told many times to me that they wish they had graphics in Xonotic at ToM's level. So with all fairness, I won't see much competition on Linux in the same category of indie games (I am not counting Quake 4, Prey, etc. as these are in the different "weight" category). Grimlock looks better than ToM, but I am not sure it will be released on Linux or not (plus you don't get to run around in Grimlock, it's more of a turn-base dungeon crawler).
        I have watched the video again and I have to say that my perception of the video mislead me: The graphics itself look rather good. However my impression is that of old, crappy graphics.

I have two theories:
        1. You try to recreate the style of that old games too hard.
        2. I personally associate the style of the game with old crappy graphics and that overrides an objective rating of the graphics quality.
        Perhaps it's the level design that is too "empty"... It's basically a big flat plane.. Of course it's very early, but that's just what goes through my head when watching the video.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
          i do make suggestions in the past... for example a throwing sword,
          Would that work similar to Hammerfight, where you have to swirl your mouse around all the time?

Comment

Here is some information on modding and scripting in Tomes of Mephistopheles for anyone interested: http://www.kot-in-action.com/content/?p=350

Comment

I find it very sad that honest feedback is dismissed as trolling.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                I find it very sad that honest feedback is dismissed as trolling.
                I agree. I don't see this thread being overly harsh at all. Primarily people are just pointing out the video just isn't showing anything to really get excited about. I watched it and my first thought was that it might turn out interesting but at this point I'm not convinced that it is worth the $10. I think calling that trolling is kinda far-fetched.

Take Legends of Grimrock. I know they have the advantage of being way further into development but when I watched their beta trailer I was just blown away and immediately knew this was a game I would buy.

Comment

@all: Did you read my NOTE ? The reason I replied that way because I am sick and tired of gamers treating developers, especially small indies, like dirt. And I wanted for good people to come out and acknowledge that trolls dominate Linux forums. This is not the first time we get trolled at. This is as simple as that. Ban trolls, delete their posts, etc. Combat them.

It would be balanced if troll were conter posted by good users. But that's not the case and that's why I refuse not to say something to wake everyone up.

We have 2 games in the development. Both use engine that runs natively on Linux. 2 big games. That's a long cycle. So we are going to be on Linux for at least 6 - 8 years. What happens after is unknown. We all can die. So, please, think rationally before you start throwing stuff like "meh, we won't buy your games because you won't support linux in 10 years."

Peace \o/
                  You get what you give, and what you've been doing is allot of whining and complaining about your potential customers. It's a strategy that has never worked in any industry.

Your best bet now for damage control is just to stop posting, hit the grind stone and release a new demo vid with a few more months dev time to iron out where you're going with the title, because in this situation the worst thing you can do is to keep talking till more potential customers get turned off to buying anything from you.

Like I said earlier, many people are against preordering or paid alphas on principal. Hell, just look at how badly Unigine did with their paid alpha. Sure you see ads on TV all day for Gamestop giving codes for "exclusive" DLC to schmucks with more money then brains that will preorder their games at $60 just so they can have a n00b canon in the latest CoD, but most people don't have the time or money to run out and buy up every game that comes along and thus will just wait for something really good to come by before spending a dime.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                    i do make suggestions in the past... for example a throwing sword,

i make a picture for you to imagine it:

Aaahahahh, god, that made my day.

Comment

Just remembered where I last saw swords like that

Comment

Working...
                      X