What The New Linux Game Publishing Will Look Like

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    But using drm is definitely not the solution, reaching the mass market with low price (or pay what you want) is certainly better. When the price is so low that it does not justify the afford to get it from a "bad" place you sell much more. Maybe bundle some games, make a LGP bundle or whatever.
    Here is problem:

"The sale, and the results
    Now that some time has gone by, and the numbers have been looked at, we have reached a conclusion about the sale.

The thing is, a one day sale can never give us useful information. The one day sale was a HUGE success. We turned over more stock in one day than we usually do in 6 months. The problem is, we made less than we would usually make in a month.

But that sale was never part of the calculations. The real test came after.

We looked at the sales figures from resellers. These sales figures spanned a number of weeks, and gave us a much better idea of how sales long term would go, when prices were lower.

The first week of sales was, as expected, higher than usual. Week two, sales dropped back to the same sales levels as we were getting before the sale was announced. Week three, sales levels stayed flat, at around the level of before the sale was announced.

This was the important test. What happens over an extended period of time, and the result was, the same number of sales, less profit per sale.

And so, I think we can say that we gave it a shot, we gave a fair ear to the people that demanded lower prices, and the result was, it is not economical for us to do so. Sales spike, obviously, but then go back to normal. A person coming to the site seems no more or less likely to make a purchase based on the lower prices.

On the plus side for those that wanted lower prices, we now have the rental scheme in place and at least one reseller implementing it, and so, some games are now available at the lowest prices ever!"

Now that some time has gone by, and the numbers have been looked at, we have reached a conclusion about the sale. The thing is, a one day sale can never give

Kano I think this is interesting news:

31 January 2012

"Due to the current events surrounding Linux Game Publishing , I have decided to temporarily offer their games massively cheaper (while at camp). For 14 days every LGP games, which I have in stock are 66% cheaper .

First, I want to celebrate it with LGP are finally signs of life. Secondly, I expect and hope that prices will fall and lose my goods anyway so its value is.

Those who advance as Holarse users to contact me gets a little like getting a better deal. A loss of business it is anyway. "

Holarse zeigt wie man unter Linux spielt, Linuxspiele zum Laufen bekommt, was das neuste zum Thema Spielen unter Linux ist und bietet eine Community für alles was Linuxspieler haben wollen. Ihr findet bei uns Mumble, Dedicated Server mit den neusten Spielen und vieles mehr.

Fun4tux:

Last edited by gbudny; 06 February 2012, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Well it is not enough to make games cheaper, you have to promote your offeres. All about the humblebundle success is widespread promotion. It can be the best offer but nobody notices it. When you look at steam, you get every week another special offers, maybe try that way too. But do not sell Linux only games for more than the "official" price you would pay for crossplattform packages, thats weird (look at Postal 2).

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
        do you calculate the people like me: i don't buy LPG games because of the DRM/Copy-Protection.
        Yes.

Currently, LGP has published eight games that contain their DRM technology:

Ballistics (r2)
        Jets'n'Guns
        Majesty Gold (r2)
        Sacred
        Shadowgrounds
        Shadowgrounds Survivor
        X2: The Threat (r2)
        X3: Reunion"

Last edited by gbudny; 06 February 2012, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Both Shadowgrounds games have been already inside hib without drm. Why should you buy it with drm?

Comment

Both Shadowgrounds games have been already inside hib without drm. Why should you buy it with drm?
            Yes. I know about this, but I buyed Shadowgrounds games two years ago.

Comment

But do not sell Linux only games for more than the "official" price you would pay for crossplattform packages, thats weird (look at Postal 2).
              Seriously? You should look at officai Id software store:

Wolfenstein 3D: 15 $ ( Only MS-DOS 5.0 or higher)

Quake: 20 $ ( Only MS-DOS 5.0 or Windows 95/98)

etc.

Comment

Comment

This is better version of Postal game, if you use other operating systems:

I use Linux and Mac OS X, but I play in games only on Linux. Sometimes I buy games for Mac, if I can 't buy version for Linux for example

"You will need the PC version: either the 3 CD set, the single DVD Collector's Edition, or a normal installed copy of the game, such as you'd download via Steam. You will need a valid and unique CD key in any case. The Mac version's install disc has not been tested, and the XBox 360 version will not work. "

However Mac version of Prey works with Linux installer.
                  Last edited by gbudny; 06 February 2012, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gbudny View Post
                    Currently, LGP has published eight games that contain their DRM technology
                    What's your point? Just because they still have some titles that are still available without DRM, it does not justify purchasing them knowing that the money will go to a company that supports it. Plus, since Majesty had DRM applied to it retroactively in an update, what is to stop LGP trying to do that for my games?

gbudny, I know why you are here defending them, I know your history and all about your efforts to support Linux gaming. I support that, I am big Linux gaming proponent too. But the days of LGP being the lone standard bearer for commercial supported Linux gaming are over. The market has grown up and moved on; we have our own developers now, offering a more competitive service, and LGP is going to have to adapt.

I know there are many on this forum how enjoy rolling around in their own festering faecal pile of criticism, just because it gives them their own perverse pleasure, but in this case these complaints do need to be heard. LGP has legitimate issues and growing competition; it must adapt to changing times.

Upon the closing of Loki, Scott Draeker commented that the "idea with Loki was never to create a thriving Linux porting business. We wanted to create a Linux gaming industry... We saw porting as a transitional stage. By porting games we were able to develop the software infrastructure needed for gaming on Linux. We were also able to prove that a market for Linux games exists."

Well, some way or another, that has happened; their is a definite market here, at least for Indie titles. And LGP is going to have to compete in that market now. So, LGP is going to either have to make their games, largely also Indie titles, more competitive by removing features such as DRM and making it worthwhile to buy from them or they are going to have try and take Linux up the next step on the ladder and start bringing more so called "AAA" titles over to the platform.

Because that is now the undiscovered country for Linux gaming where we still have something to prove. If LGP keeps on going ignoring the fact that the idea of gaming on Linux has already been achieved, it will go nowhere. What we need now is to expand the reach of that market. Maybe that could be LGP's path to successe again.

Or, at the very uninspiring least, it could at least make it a more competitive player in the market that exists now.
                    Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 06 February 2012, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gbudny View Post
                      This is better version of Postal game, if you use other operating systems:

I use Linux and Mac OS X, but I play in games only on Linux.
                      In which case the best version for you is the one off Desura, as that one has been more fully updated and is significantly cheaper. LGP still is not competitive here.

Comment

Working...
                      X