Desura Game Client Is Now Open-Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jonwil View Post
    So can someone tell me what (other than icons/branding/etc) is different between the open source and non-open-source versions of this client?
    The branding is all that is different. The open source version is now the ONLY version of Desura. The one that you download directly from the Desura website will have the Desura branding, but community compiled versions will have to use the alternate name.

I think the hope is that like all good open source projects, the community will contribute features and bug-fixes back to the main project. There will undoutably end up being some crazy custom builds as well, that won't really fit the main project. Those guys can call it Desurium.

Comment

Generally, I think open sourcing user frontends to propriatary channels is a great idea. I am only not so sure if it is the best for desura.

Steam is seeing a lot of hacks for their clients targeting to decrypt games you do not actually own. With desura, not applying that harsh sort of DRM, I think it will be very easy to hack the client to throw out stuff for free.

And dont tell me "Nah, the indie folks are not like that" considering the abuse the last HIBs got although they are almost giving the games away for free.

I hope this is the right choice and I would hate to see such a friendly move being ultimately turned into the demise of the desura platform.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
        We've got too much fragmentation already, between PSN, XBL, Steam, Android Market, iOS/OSX App Store, Windows Marketplace, Ubuntu One, iTunes, Amazon, Desura, EA's custom store, Ubisoft's custom store, etc. Most of these services are entirely redundant.
        I disagree with your assessment. Many of those product markets you brought up are a monopoly on their platform and or have virtually 99% market share. More choices the better, and hopefully we can drag away some of Window's and Steam's monopoly share in the PC platform area. I for one hate having to activate a game from the control freak Steam platform, sure would be nice to see somebody else on the box we would have to activate through. Of course i would prefer to deal with game companies directly rather than through a third party.

Comment

Nice. I already have it installed on Windoze. Lots of indie game stuff. And a good bunch is cross platform. Also not much DRM to spot which is a fine thing.

But Michael, where is the much anticipated and talked about Steam on Linux? ;-)
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Current build process is less than optimal. Let's hope that will chance in the future.

I believe by open sourcing the client, Desura will find it's way to many linux distros and will be available via package manager. That will make it easier to purchase titles using their platform.
            Rob
            email: [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by dagger View Post
              I believe by open sourcing the client, Desura will find it's way to many linux distros and will be available via package manager. That will make it easier to purchase titles using their platform.
              Wouldn't be too sure about it... at least for Ubuntu this is a direct competitor for sales in the Ubuntu app store, thus they might be highly reluctant to include it in the repositories.

Comment

Originally posted by Julius View Post
                Wouldn't be too sure about it... at least for Ubuntu this is a direct competitor for sales in the Ubuntu app store, thus they might be highly reluctant to include it in the repositories.
                There aren't Apple-grade politics going on in Ubuntu.

Comment

No need for root access

Originally posted by benmoran View Post
                  I think having to install it locally for each user is the way to go. Giving proprietary games root access is dangerous, and they don't really need it anyway. Desura is it's own standalone manager for the games anyway, so it can keep proprietary stuff out of the system.

That said, I love Desura and use it all the time. I think the way they do things now makes sense.
                  To my knowledge, package managers are able to create separate users for different things.. For example, when I install pulseaudio, my package manager creates a user "pulse" which I have to add myself to if I want to hear anything. I assume the same can be done for games

Comment

Originally posted by renkin View Post
                    To my knowledge, package managers are able to create separate users for different things.. For example, when I install pulseaudio, my package manager creates a user "pulse" which I have to add myself to if I want to hear anything. I assume the same can be done for games
                    If you run PulseAudio as your own user (which is the default & recommended behaviour), there is no need for that...

Comment

Originally posted by Julius View Post
                      Get it into Debian, and you get it in Ubuntu too.

(And I don't see what's different between this or youtube-dl when it comes to "open source client used to access a proprietary service"?)

Comment

Working...
                      X