Frozenbyte Delays Trine 2 For Linux Into 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll wait for linux

I will buy it when it's available for linux.

Comment

Bit slow at the news aren't we...http://www.gamingonlinux.com/index.p...-2-update.607/ oct 19th

Comment

Originally posted by storma View Post
        I'll also only buy Trine 2 after the Linux release. The first one was a pure gem for Linux gaming.

As for the Linux v Mac release, it's reasonable from a business sense. Rah rah similarities between Linux/mac, can't they just do both? Think about it. Mac is only available on a very limited hardware basis, whereas we all know Linux covers a whole lot more different architectures. Be thankful they even consider us.

Kk, I'll buy now and use wine so I can be one of the cool kids to say I've played it, stop using Linux, obviously you don't want to.

Bla bla the rest of the argument we've heard before.
        From what I saw on the forum they could have released the Linux version at the same time, if it weren't for the online co-op. Using the steam API they can hit windows and mac, but need to roll their own/ find an alternative before they release the Linux version.

Comment

If I wanted to be a troll like Michael, I'd suggest that they're waiting for the release of steam on linux. I doubt that will ever happen.

Comment

500% more rainbows!!

Comment

Originally posted by he_the_great View Post
              But Linux has Desura, so FB could unify their marketing push through that.
              That would be stupid. Steam has a much more massive user base and is going to make them far more money. If you're going to only pick one platform/channel to release on, you don't pick the weird-ass underdog that almost nobody has ever heard of before. You pick the big ones that have the largest number of users that are known to actually spend money on games: Windows/Steam, XBox/XBL, PS3/PSN, and iOS/App Store. Then you target the second-tier platforms, like OSX/Steam/AppStore, Android/Marketplace, Wii/WiiWare, and DS/DSWare. Then and only then do you worry about the tertiary targets like Linux, alternative distribution channels, and the underdog mobile platforms. (Of course, we're slowly moving towards HTML5 for everything, at least in the casual game space. Which actually is a lot friendlier to Linux. The commercial game I worked on last summer works perfectly on Linux thanks to Chrome and the CWS, for instance.)

Comment

"Frozenbyte Delays Trine 2 For Linux Into 2012"

Alternative Games is making Trine 2 for Linux:

"Alternative Games (formerly IGIOS) is a Finnish video game company specializing in porting games primarily to the Linux platform as well as to Mac OS X .Their first products were the Linux ports of Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds Survivor, with both games originally being developed by Frozenbyte and being released by Linux Game Publishing in September 2009. It was also working on bringing Iron Sky: Operation Highjump to Linux.
                In November 2010 it was announced that Trine and Trine 2, games also by Frozenbyte, were coming to Linux by a new developer called Alternative Games. It was later confirmed that the company was founded by the IGIOS Linux team. The finished Linux port of Trine was released as part of the Humble Frozenbyte Bundle, alongside the Shadowgrounds games for Linux and Mac OS X and a pre-order for Splot, which is also coming to Linux.

Games ported

Shadowgrounds for Linux, released on September 16, 2009
                Shadowgrounds Survivor for Linux, released on September 18, 2009
                Trine for Linux, released as part of the Humble Frozenbyte Bundle
                Shadowgrounds for Mac OS X, released as part of the Humble Frozenbyte Bundle
                Shadowgrounds Survivor for Mac OS X, released as part of the Humble Frozenbyte Bundle
                Jack Claw for Linux, released as part of the Humble Frozenbyte Bundle

Upcoming games

Trine 2, in development.
                Splot, in development.
                Iron Sky: Operation Highjump for Linux, in development.

Alternative Games team

Tapio Honkonen (CEO)

Programming:

Turo Lamminen
                Tuomas N?rv?inen
                Mikko Tiusanen"

Comment

Too Bad

That Sucks! The first Trine kicked ass, but I guess I can wait until next year for Trine 2 on Linux.

Comment

Looks like the wait is almost over

Comment

Yeah, I have been hearing whispers for the past few weeks. Looking good.

Comment

Working...
                      X