Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frozenbyte Delays Trine 2 For Linux Into 2012

Phoronix: Frozenbyte Delays Trine 2 For Linux Into 2012

If you were hoping to play Frozenbyte's new game, Trine 2, under Linux this year, you're out of luck. Frozenbyte has announced that the Linux client of Trine 2 has been pushed back into 2012 while the Mac OS X and Windows versions will ship today and the console ports before year's end...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

opengl?

If they made an osx port, maybe the opengl renderer will be in windows too.
    In that case, wine will run it without any performance loss.

Comment

Is this actually a delay from any previously release timeline? I thought "Release for Windows/OSX and consoles and then Linux" was always the priority.

And you can't blame them - commercially it does make most sense to put the focus on the biggest markets.

Comment

With Wine being good to have though far from optimal, I'll wait for the native client. Also I'll consider getting Trine 2 once Splot (which was part of the Humble Bundles) is released.

Comment

Originally posted by oliw View Post
          Is this actually a delay from any previously release timeline? I thought "Release for Windows/OSX and consoles and then Linux" was always the priority.

And you can't blame them - commercially it does make most sense to put the focus on the biggest markets.
          Very true, but maybe to your surprise, in the first frozenbyte bundle linux raked in more money for the bundle than mac. so using your logic, that would mean they'd prioritize linux before mac.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            the first frozenbyte bundle linux raked in more money for the bundle than mac
            It took more money in total but the average purchase price for Linux was $11.79 while Mac was only $6.43. That's awesome but probably means (hard to be exact without the real figures) there were fewer Linux buyers than there were Mac buyers, they just paid more.

And I don't think there's any question as to which platform has more users. Plus OSX has Steam so FB can unify their marketing push through that.

Comment

I'll buy Trine 2 when it's out for Linux, on the basis of the first game alone.

But only after it's out for Linux, I don't run anything else.

Comment

Trine 2 once again unites a trio of characters that mix platform jumping, sword fighting and magic in a sidescrolling puzzle adventure. The trio consists of a magician, a knight and a thief. The magician can solve puzzles by manipulating physics, moving boxes and summoning objects, whereas the thief is…

Same information, only from october 2011. Though it was not a exact confirmation, Phoronix "news" is not new. Not good for a site, that also covers gaming news.

Comment

I'll also only buy Trine 2 after the Linux release. The first one was a pure gem for Linux gaming.

As for the Linux v Mac release, it's reasonable from a business sense. Rah rah similarities between Linux/mac, can't they just do both? Think about it. Mac is only available on a very limited hardware basis, whereas we all know Linux covers a whole lot more different architectures. Be thankful they even consider us.

Kk, I'll buy now and use wine so I can be one of the cool kids to say I've played it, stop using Linux, obviously you don't want to.

Bla bla the rest of the argument we've heard before.

Comment

Originally posted by oliw View Post
                    Plus OSX has Steam so FB can unify their marketing push through that.
                    But Linux has Desura, so FB could unify their marketing push through that.

Comment

Working...
                    X