Humble Introversion Bundle On Mesa/Gallium3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ansla View Post
    I have the exact same graphics card and both games ran fine last time I tried them (several months ago). Like agd5f said, make sure you remove bundled C/C++ libraries and also any X11/xcb/opengl libs.
    Thank you! Removing the bundled libstdc++.so.6 from Crayon Physics worked great. In fact, it now seems to run even better than with Catalyst.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
      I learned that performance is irrelevant.

I have had so many problems with closed source drivers in the past and performance was never a problem.
      I use what is stable and secure and compatible.
      And if i need more performance i buy newer hardware.
      People blame open source drivers about video acceleration i think this is bullshit just buy a faster CPU to fix this problem.
      Right now i use a 3,8ghz phenomII quatcore if this is to slow i buy a newer one.
      i use a hd4770 right now if this card is to slow i buy a newer one.
      Blaming the open source driver because of performance is just bullshit.
      Perhaps I should clarify what I meant by saying "I still recommend the closed source drivers for performance". When playing Multiwinia, if the game is running slowly (and you are using the open-source drivers), try switching to the closed source driver and it will often run faster.

The open-source drivers do not support all of the features Multiwinia uses for performance, so naturally there will be some slowdown compared with the more complete closed-source drivers. Fortunately, on modern hardware this is rarely an issue, but upgrading hardware is not affordable for everyone.

So, respectfully, in some cases the open source driver is the performance bottleneck. The developers are always working to improve things, but it doesn't happen overnight. Buying new hardware --- whilst certainly a quick fix --- costs money; the closed-source drivers are free. But, by all means, use whatever drivers work best for you.

Still, as long as you're enjoying the game, it doesn't matter what driver you're using!

-- Sulix

Comment

Just thought I should thank Sulix for his work, if not one else will.

Comment

Thanks for the porting work, Sulix.
          Did you port Darwinia also? I ask because on my machine, Darwinia sometimes has a slight stutter if I zoom out or scroll around very fast. It doesn't always happen though, and the game is generally smooth as butter.
          Multiwinia, on the other hand, is perfectly smooth all the time. It makes sense if only the newer one was ported by you. In that case, great work.

Comment

Originally posted by sulix View Post
            The open-source drivers do not support all of the features Multiwinia uses for performance, so naturally there will be some slowdown compared with the more complete closed-source drivers. Fortunately, on modern hardware this is rarely an issue, but upgrading hardware is not affordable for everyone.
            Just curious, what exactly does Multiwinia need that Mesa doesn't provide?

Comment

Working...
            X