No announcement yet.

Welcoming The ioDoom3 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My secondary guess was "the port to run under windows xp", but then what would the primary platform have been :P

Comment

Originally posted by jonwil View Post
      I am sure the code will work for Doom 3 and Doom 3 expansion but I dont think it includes the Quake 4 code (although it would be GREAT if that was also opened up)
      When it comes to Quake 4, it depends on if id treats it like it did Hexen and Heretic, or if they treat it as they did RTCW and actually release it themselves. Hexen and Heretic were originally released under a more restrictive license by Raven themselves, but were later (much later) re-released under the GPL, but we have not seen anything from them since. I personally would love a proper Elite Force source port for single player or one for the Soldier of Fortune series, though both do WINE fairly well and of course SoF 1 is native if you can get it.

RTCW was released by id themselves last year, but maybe that was because Grey Matter (the studio that actually made the game for them) was defunct. Though it is interesting that the Enemy Territory source code was released when Splash Damage is still alive and kicking, though that was always a freeware title anyway. Still, it opens up the possibility for ET:QW in the future. As for getting the source code to Prey, an id Tech 4 title but not an id one, Human Head did release the full source code to Rune under the GPL, so that is not an impossibility either.

Still, all in all this has been a good year for source code releases. The Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds Survivor code are publicly available (albeit under a nom-commercial license, but still, you could make a source port if you desired) and now we have the code to Doom 3 as well. Last year we also got the original Humble Indie Bundle titles as well as RTCW and ET and of course Revenge of the Titans from the second Bundle. And Seven Kingdoms was freed up not too long ago. So we are not doing that badly.

Comment

Regarding source releases, what originally happened is that Doom was released under a restrictive non-commercial license. Then Heretic and Hexen were released under the same license. Then later ID decided to GPL doom but Raven didnt want to put in the effort (lawyer time etc) to GPL Heretic and Hexen. Both were eventually re-licensed as GPL recently AFAIK.
        Hexen 2 was released as open source and was released under the GPL from the start.

Regarding Quake 4 and ET:QW, its a case of whether ID and Raven/Splash Damage are willing to release the source or not.

Comment

Let's Generalize ...

Hi there

I have been looking at this Release for some time as it has the possibilty to establish several possible milestones in the linux ( if not cross platform) community....

1, The first reality of this milestone release is the ability to assess a New graphical benchmark fps for each machine respectively. GOing back to 2006 when I did my first bechmark with Norton on an XP machine I realised that the event was a way to show off the possibilities of the graphics card and how that was transfered to the screen. The small game that played itself was a off-road vehicle making tracks at varying frame rates displayed on the side of the window. NOW think of the fact that Unreal Tournament was used up until 2008 to show benchmarks of machine's graphical abilities. We now have the new STANDARDISED way to show a good game that would auto-run to show framerates and the machine's capabilities. Thinking back it was a poor performance by Norton , but as I went with the usual google search results for the likes of Everest etc to see what my machine could do and how it 'fair-ed' amongst others... there was little option in the benchmarking community at the time. That has now changed and I think a good graphical frames per second assessment-software is in order.

2. This news was posted on slashdot and after a couple of attempts to bring the progress of open source games based on the id3 engine ... I was unable to retain implications of these new modified games to others in the community.
          However here's what I got (although not always implemented).
          It seems smokin' guns is the only thing to have anything that beats the "Mad-dog McCree" president that established this type of First person gaming. No-one can better the generation that tried to 'out-wit the bandit' and we see that this especially has a magnetic attraction in the American market (fun for everyone else too).
          Of the id2 engine I feel that a Reddwarf style remake would be the making of this engine as avid fans from all over the world can fathom the ingenious plots/levels that the BBc drama would spurn. If you know of a Reddwarf game based on any Engine then let me know and I will pursue it. ???

I hope that the id4 engine release will mean that this will lead to more lightsabre style games being made for pc-arcade-linux boxes that are sure to prevail in the coming decade as the price of components continues to depeciate.

My last and only pledge and request is to ask that you update all of the doom3 wiki-s that you come across on your journey into ascertaining the best niche that you may mushroom into.

Good luck with the Quest !!

Comment

Uh...what?

Comment

Originally posted by Irritant View Post
              Uh...what?
              I second the above ...
              oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
              oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
              oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
              Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdwiki View Post
                Hi there

I have been looking at this Release for some time as it has the possibilty to establish several possible milestones in the linux ( if not cross platform) community....

1, The first reality of this milestone release is the ability to assess a New graphical benchmark fps for each machine respectively. GOing back to 2006 when I did my first bechmark with Norton on an XP machine I realised that the event was a way to show off the possibilities of the graphics card and how that was transfered to the screen. The small game that played itself was a off-road vehicle making tracks at varying frame rates displayed on the side of the window. NOW think of the fact that Unreal Tournament was used up until 2008 to show benchmarks of machine's graphical abilities. We now have the new STANDARDISED way to show a good game that would auto-run to show framerates and the machine's capabilities. Thinking back it was a poor performance by Norton , but as I went with the usual google search results for the likes of Everest etc to see what my machine could do and how it 'fair-ed' amongst others... there was little option in the benchmarking community at the time. That has now changed and I think a good graphical frames per second assessment-software is in order.
                What are you smoking? Presumably last 10 years...

2. This news was posted on slashdot and after a couple of attempts to bring the progress of open source games based on the id3 engine ... I was unable to retain implications of these new modified games to others in the community.
                However here's what I got (although not always implemented).
                It seems smokin' guns is the only thing to have anything that beats the "Mad-dog McCree" president that established this type of First person gaming. No-one can better the generation that tried to 'out-wit the bandit' and we see that this especially has a magnetic attraction in the American market (fun for everyone else too).
                Of the id2 engine I feel that a Reddwarf style remake would be the making of this engine as avid fans from all over the world can fathom the ingenious plots/levels that the BBc drama would spurn. If you know of a Reddwarf game based on any Engine then let me know and I will pursue it. ???
                I remember seeing the Mad-dog McCree CD in the previous life. It was something about 1850-1870 IIRR. It was established something?

I hope that the id4 engine release will mean that this will lead to more lightsabre style games being made for pc-arcade-linux boxes that are sure to prevail in the coming decade as the price of components continues to depeciate.
                Lightsabre? I liked Jedi Academi etc, in the previous life.

My last and only pledge and request is to ask that you update all of the doom3 wiki-s that you come across on your journey into ascertaining the best niche that you may mushroom into.

Good luck with the Quest !![/SIZE]
                Mushrooms... That explains something... )

Comment

We have much more advanced engines nowadays, and, while kind from Carmack's part, it's pretty useless now, also kinda promoting segmentation and sliding a paradigm down into our throats. Carmack would do better contributing $$ or some ideas to our own engines.
                  Last edited by WillyThePimp; 27 November 2011, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WillyThePimp View Post
                    We have much more advanced engines nowadays, and, while kind from Carmack's part, it's pretty useless now, also kinda promoting segmentation and sliding a paradigm down into our throats. Carmack would do better contributing $$ or some ideas to our own engines.
                    I see you have completely discounted the advantages of having such code around so that we can make source ports.

Besides, since when did contributing to the community have so many strings attached?

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                      I see you have completely discounted the advantages of having such code around so that we can make source ports.

Besides, since when did contributing to the community have so many strings attached?
                      Exactly, when did releasing an 8-9 years old engine become the only way to contribute to OSS? The money and effort put in this would have been much better spent in many of the needs some of the better (even better than their own) engines we already have (Ogre3D, for example).

Many positive things with this release, positive useless things. Useless in the sense nothing is really being driven forward.

Comment

Working...
                      X