No announcement yet.

A New Commercial Game For Linux That's Not An FPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

>Right, it seems to be specific to r600g, and turning of PP does work around the bug.

thanks, good. sadly its not much fun without the postprocessing ;-|

>FWIW, LLVMpipe, the software rasterizer, does not segfault.

doubt that software rendering is really playable?

> I could probably also try it out on a X1950 Pro, that's using the r300g driver which is quite a bit more mature.

sounds good, though below the "official requirements" this one could actually work well, since it should be faster than officially supported chips like the Radeon HD 2400.

>When/if I have more time I can try it out on my Intel G45

i am not sure, do they support 4096x4096 textures? might be worth a try too ;-)

Comment

ok here are the *correct* links to the new beta 3:
      (my post with the corrected links of beta 2 seems to have gone to /dev/null)

ChangeLog from Beta 2:
      ? work around fatal problems in catalyst / fglrx drivers (which happened mostly on low end / mobility cards)
      ? detect broken mesa r600 drivers and default to post-processing = OFF
      ? actually make the time-demo mode work (for possible inclusion into PTS)

Comment

Hey CoreCode, I've downloaded and installed the 64bit version of CoreBreach.

It works fine over here no problems, that i have noticed so far. Here is my system specs, OS, etc:

AMD Phenom II 965 x4
        8gig DDR3
        Nvidia 440GT
        1.5tb SATA 6G

Distro: Archlinux (64bit), fully up to date system, running Gnome 3.2.

I'm using the Nvidia proprietary driver, version 290.10 (the latest version). I didn't have to disable compiz, as there was no noticable loss in FPS or any other issue. The graphics of the game are smooth and look great. I also found the game to be playable, although, i did hit the sides here and there.

I'm not much of a gamer, but given the opportunity, i though i would at least test CoreBreach.

cheerz

Comment

thanks ninez. looks like we can post the final version to desura early next week.

are there any other linux (game) stores besides desura, ubuntu software center, tux games, gameolith, fun4tux, wupra and indievania?

Comment

I just tested it using the open source Radeon driver. It works and runs very smoothly, but crashes as soon as I touch a wall. The following error is shown in the console:
            Code:
            EE r600_shader.c:125 r600_pipe_shader_create - translation from TGSI failed !
            Segmentation fault
            I'm using a HD 5770 with the latest drivers. I'm not really sure if the problem is with the game, or simply a missing feature or bug in the drivers. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Comment

Originally posted by benmoran View Post
              I just tested it using the open source Radeon driver. It works and runs very smoothly, but crashes as soon as I touch a wall. The following error is shown in the console:
              Code:
              Segmentation fault
              I'm using a HD 5770 with the latest drivers. I'm not really sure if the problem is with the game, or simply a missing feature or bug in the drivers. Maybe someone else can chime in.
              It's a bug in the driver. Already filed as a bug:

You can turn of post processing (or try the suggestion made by Vadim in the bug report).

Comment

Originally posted by benmoran View Post
                Code:
                Segmentation fault
                thanks, this is the driver crash in the MESA R600 driver that @whizse already kindly identified and reported upstream. (i.e. its a driver bug and not a bug in the game)

if you got beta 3 this should already be worked around by defaulting to postprocessing = OFF (and documenting it in the readme). if that didn't work, please send me the "glxinfo" output so i can have another shot at this.

if you got beta 2, just disable postprocessing manually in the video preferences.

Comment

I tried it on my X1950 Pro with the r300g driver, it seems to be rendering everything okay and there are no crashes, performance also seems satisfactory.

I did notice a few issues on the Intel GPU though. Is there any way of grabbing screenshots in-game? Or if not, running it in a window?

Is the timedemo mode available in the demo?

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
                    I tried it on my X1950 Pro with the r300g driver, it seems to be rendering everything okay and there are no crashes, performance also seems satisfactory.
                    thanks thats good to know. does it run with all features, i.e. with postprocessing?

btw you can set lighting to "static" for a nice speed increase at minor visual difference.

I did notice a few issues on the Intel GPU though. Is there any way of grabbing screenshots in-game? Or if not, running it in a window?
                    on the mac you can do screenshots even when fullscreen apps run with keyboard shortcuts, i don't know how that works in linux. there is no built-in screenshot functionality.

there is a hidden key to make it run in windowed mode, if you are capable of editing XML files, try editing the preferences file in ~/.GNUstep/Defaults/ and add a key named "windowed" and set it to "1"

Is the timedemo mode available in the demo?
                    yes, beta3 should contain that. again a hidden preferences key in the XML file, called "timedemo". you will also need to enable "disablevbl" and "displayfps" so that V-Sync is disabled and you actually see the framerate.

don't try any fancy stuff like starting a multiplayer game when timedemo is set to true ;-)

Comment

Everything seems to be working on r300g, with the exception of static lightning. This is actually broken in all the Mesa drivers, sorry I didn't catch this before. I thought I had tried all the options but I guess I missed this one. It's working in git master though, so I'll do some reverse git bisecting too find out what commit fixed this and suggest it be cherry picked for the next stable release.

On the Intel GPU object outlines are broken, there's a lot of outlines where none should be, also the flames from the engine isn't rendered correctly. I will file bugs about this later (with screenhots). Performance is pretty okay with everything except outlines turned on. I don't get playable framerates with my native resolution (1680x1050) but that's too be expected. I guess it will run pretty fine on the contemporary GPUs (HD Graphics, SandyBridge etc.).

Screenshots in games on Linux is pretty much hit-or-miss, it works on some titles, on others it doesn't.

Comment

Working...
                      X