No announcement yet.

Doom 3 Source Code Is About Ready To Go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the main question is whether someone could reasonably (in principle) swap in a different implementation of the runtime (a la POSIX, libc, sh, Java, etc.). If so, there is no "requires a free software [or rather GPL] runtime environment"; it's just "requires some compatible runtime environment".

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
      Sure the game data can be proprietary. But the makers of Steel Storm have also not released the game source code and are in direct violation of the GPL.

You are wrong on this.

The game code is not derived from GPL code, nor does it link to GPL code. All games for Darkplaces use QuakeC for game code, which is interpreted by the game engine.

If you were right, you'd be disallowed to play the original Quake release, the commercial mission packs or any non-GPL third-party mods in any open-source Quake engine.

This is (from my point of view) somewhat similar to how the GPL works at all for Perl. Or (more vaguely) how commercial software can work on a GPL operating system.

Comment

Hurray. But this announcement makes me feel very old. I remember all the years I waited for this game. And now the engine is considered to be of no further commercial value. That and the "Big 5-oh" looming less than 2 years away, makes me very happy for the rest of you. But excuse me while I go cry into my pillow. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by sbergman27 View Post
          Hurray. But this announcement makes me feel very old. I remember all the years I waited for this game.
          Hey, seconded. Yes I was ten when it was released, but still, seconded.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
            Hey, seconded. Yes I was ten when it was released, but still, seconded.
            Just wait 30 years. And you'll get yours! ;-)

Seriously, though. Enjoy the next 30 years. Being 48 is cool and all. But one of the things you learn is that you can never go back. Partially because the world changes. But mostly because you change. Which is fine. And usually an improvement. But the lack of a rewind button does become increasingly noticeable.

-Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
              Oh gosh, they did it!
              GLSL 1.30 is ready! Ypee...
              http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...896f4451d14de0
              Damn, if there ever was an important post buried in nirvana, this is it.

Holy shit, this is awesome news! We need a Phoronix story on this ASAP!

Comment

Working...
              X