No announcement yet.

Postal III On Linux Is Kaput For Now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, Michael had finally admitted the fact that was pretty obvious from the very beginning.

Linux steam client leak? Why not, most probably they had been experimenting with it @Valve while deciding how to port/implement Steam on Mac. One possible way was to use something like Gtk+ as a base and got a client that is easily portable over any POSIX-compliant OS. We all know now how had it turned out. Postal III on Linux? It was almost obvious that there would not be such thing no matter what does the devs say about it. There were not Source-based linux games from the original engine developer - Valve - so why there should be anything available from some third-party engine licensee? If would be a totally different story if Postal III developers had chosen UEngine as their base - linux, Mac OS X and maybe even Android/iOS. With Source it would be definitely limited to Windows and Mac OS X for quite a while, until Valve would come up with something linux-based (in case that would ever happen at all).

To make it simple: if you want to play on linix - use Wine. It would be your best bet and helping Wine community by reporting new bugs, maintaining AppDB and - possibly - creating patches extending the functionality of Wine are just the right things to bring playing on linux to a healthful state. It's simply no point for game devs to put development efforts into linux at the moment when they switch their main target platform to be consoles instead of PC. Poor quality of Rage PC version had demonstrated it in great details.
    Last edited by lexa2; 17 October 2011, 08:56 AM.

Comment

*cough* November 2010 *cough*

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Postal 3 for linux was killed a long time ago. They even deleted all references to it off their forums while they were up.

http://www.runningwithscissors.com/postal3/requirements

Comment

I'd still like to know what happened behind the scenes with Ryan Gordon's work on the UT3 engine... I mean, he HAD something running, didn't he? Did they just dump the whole code?

Oh well... So what's the next established franchise title to hit the shelves with Linux support? Prey 2?

Comment

I can't talk much more about the Source Engine at the moment, but as most know right now there isn't an official Source Linux client that's released to the public.
          I like you.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
            Kaput implies brokenness what might be more accurate is stalled or perhaps vapourware
            But Michael LOVES to use german words he overheard while drinking bear. Never mind that it makes me cringe everytime he does, and nevermind that they're often used slightly off of their intended meaning. At least he raises the journalistic quality of his articles by adding german expletives.

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
              But Michael LOVES to use german words he overheard while drinking bear. Never mind that it makes me cringe everytime he does, and nevermind that they're often used slightly off of their intended meaning. At least he raises the journalistic quality of his articles by adding german expletives.
              I mentioned it earlier - kaput is found in English. It is derived from German, yes, but it's in English now. I was using it over 20 years ago, long before I started to learn German.

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
                But Michael LOVES to use german words he overheard while drinking bear. Never mind that it makes me cringe everytime he does, and nevermind that they're often used slightly off of their intended meaning.
                SCNR

10chars

Comment

ScheiBe!

Linux has been lagging behind for a while and Windows 7 has been surprisingly not sucking for a while.

Gaming sure isn't putting Linux back on the map.

Am I the only one feeling that Linux needs some spark again? I mean we used to have "OMG 3D desktop!", then "WTF virtualisation!", then "WOW KDE4", then "AMMAGAWD Gallium!".

I feel like I'm lacking some reason for fanboying. I mean if Linux doesn't have at least 25% marketshare then there must be some crazy advancement/hype somewhere to be found?

Comment

I've been booted into Windows 7 an awful lot this week thanks to SC2 and Civ4&5 as my laptop doesn't have a mux for the graphics card

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
                      I'd still like to know what happened behind the scenes with Ryan Gordon's work on the UT3 engine... I mean, he HAD something running, didn't he? Did they just dump the whole code?
                      I have a feeling much of it found it's way into the UDK given that it now supports Mac.

Oh well... So what's the next established franchise title to hit the shelves with Linux support? Prey 2?
                      I wouldn't count on it.

Comment

Working...
                      X