No announcement yet.

Rage Linux Port Is Not Likely Until 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm looking forward to playing Rage on Linux in 2012, since loading both Wine and the manufacturer's video drivers doesn't appeal to me. Opensource Gallium drivers are coming along pretty fast and there's a chance they might be ready in time. Right now the only native Linux game that gives me problems with Gallium is Oil Rush which hasn't even been finished yet.

Comment

I'm getting Rage now and will play it on Windows until the native Linux port is available. I respond to failure idTech games the same way I respond to failure Star Trek films:

"Oh yay, a new Star Trek film!!!"
      "Wait.. what's that you say? It sucks?"
      "Eh... too bad. I'll grab it anyway and get what fun I can out of it."

"Oh yay, a new idTech game!!!"

Comment

People, remember: Rage is mostly an OpenGL 2 game.

MPC: Are you using DirectX 9 equivalent? For Doom 4 as well?
        JC: Yes to both. It?s one of those things I get asked a lot. What?s big and exciting for DirectX 10 or DirectX 11? There?s not a whole lot of? really not a whole lot. The big touted geometry shaders were in many ways, a mistaken belief that people desperately wanted to create stencil shadow volume.

There?s a tough thing with that. You get a bunch of people who make APIs, and they think ?it?s my job to make APIs. I make new APIs every year.? There?s a reality of approaching a functionality curve, and the DX9 level gives us a whole lot of stuff where it?s not like before, even at the DX7 functionality level. Graphics programmers have tried every possible configuration, and they?ve tried every state and know what happens when. But, as soon as you get programmability in there (as happened with DX9) you?re writing code now. The code is limited, but we?re so far from exhausting the possibilities.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
          People, remember: Rage is mostly an OpenGL 2 game.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/fea..._more?page=0,1
          kind of had to be for the Xbox 360 and PS2 releases.

Comment

if and when the linux bin is available i'll surely get the game meanwhile i'll stick with bf3 and soon to be released d3 source code. other than that on linux games side OilRush is surely welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
              Actually, the right answer is: mixed reviews.
              Main problem? People expected "Fallout 3 + John Carmack's engine"... What was iD's last game with a deep storyline again?
              Mixed? It gets a 6.8 for xbox and a glorious 3.4 from users on metacritic.
              Of course some websites will tell you it's good. For example gamespot: they fired a reviewer a while back because it did not rate Kane&Lynch high enough. But let's not loose the big picture here.

Btw, I just came acoross this: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=682

Comment

I will wait with a verdict until I've actually played Rage.

But if the criticism is all about "you get to run around and shoot things", like it was with Doom3, then I'll probably like it.

The fact is that many of the reviewers were too young to play id's games while growing up and are expecting a different thing from games today. Which is OK, I guess. But I have not played an FPS that is more fun than id titles, and none is more fun than the original Doom.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                  But if the criticism is all about "you get to run around and shoot things", like it was with Doom3, then I'll probably like it.
                  Have you read any of the reviews? Or you just assume that you'll have fun with Rage, no matter what others say?
                  First "you get to run around and shoot things" was Wolfenstein, Doom and Doom2.
                  Doom3 was a resource hog which couldn't handle more than 4 enemies on screen at the same time and in some instances allowed me to kill faster with the flashlight than using the shotgun. Utter crap.
                  The thing with Rage is that it adds questing, but it does it very, very badly: repetitive, pointless and with no immersion.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    The thing with Rage is that it adds questing, but it does it very, very badly: repetitive, pointless and with no immersion.
                    Well, I think the last time I played a fps campaign was back with Half-life, since then the only interesting thing for me in fps games has been the multiplayer action. That said I seem to recall Rage multiplayer was entirely vehicle based which sounds a bit boring, if this is the case hopefully it will be very mod-friendly and thus allow for non-vehicle (or atleast optional) combat.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                      Have you read any of the reviews? Or you just assume that you'll have fun with Rage, no matter what others say?
                      I did read a couple of the reviews, and the repetitive quests are the only thing that really has me worried. The technical glitches will likely be solved in time, and the rest of the complaints are mostly about it not being "innovative enough", and concentrating on shooting monsters, which is not sexy anymore. What is sexy is open worlds, non-linear puzzle solving, RPG elements, characters coming to grips with their parents' divorce, and musical challenges*. Just look at Prey and then look at what Prey 2 is going to be like, and you will understand what is 'sexy' in FPS games today.

Perhaps I'm strange, but I like shooting monsters, so if that is what Rage will be like, then there is a chance that I'll enjoy it. I've enjoyed most of id's games so far, so I'll give them a chance. It is certainly possible that it's a stinker, but it deserves a chance.

First "you get to run around and shoot things" was Wolfenstein, Doom and Doom2.
                      Doom3 was a resource hog which couldn't handle more than 4 enemies on screen at the same time and in some instances allowed me to kill faster with the flashlight than using the shotgun. Utter crap.
                      I don't agree. While Doom3 certainly deviated from the Doom and Doom2 formula, it was still about running around shooting monsters. And it had one of the best atmospheres that I can remember (and my memory goes a long way back, even though I don't game much nowadays). Despite being linear and predictable, the atmosphere made me replay it a couple of times in the last few years, whereas I didn't replay the far deeper Half Life or Prey. I also got bored of Deus Ex very fast.

So what I'm saying is that I didn't think that Doom3 was a bad game at all, although I seem to be lonely with that opinion. If Rage delivers that, I'll be happy.

* parts may be slightly exaggerated

Comment

Working...
                      X