Rage Linux Port Is Not Likely Until 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    I have a question for you all. If Rage is a console game, then how come the PS3 and XBOX versions have the exact same texture pop-in issues? Explain that please :-)
    That's an artifact of the novel texture streaming technology used in Rage. This is a game that will actually max out 4 CPU cores and can use GPGPU to improve performance. I'm pretty sure we'll see more of this technology being used once the next-generation consoles roll out.

When playing on the PC, make sure you use the latest beta drivers from either Nvidia or AMD (especially AMD). This is one of the very few AAA games using OpenGL and there is a very large difference between the latest Rage-optimized drivers and the current stable releases, especially on AMD.

Comment

@RealNC

Did you play with wine or using the win ati rage driver? There you also want to force vsync always on.

Comment

I have a question for you all. If Rage is a console game, then how come the PS3 and XBOX versions have the exact same texture pop-in issues? Explain that please :-)
        There's a difference between a console game and a good console game.

The real puzzler is that texture popping seems to happen on high-end PCs, equipped with SSDs. I can't fathom what this game was designed to run on.
        Looking back, Quake and Doom3 absolutely slaughtered PCs at their time, so this isn't the first time id releases something that will not run well with all settings maxed out. But both Quake and Doom3 would run ok once you turned down your settings and this is where Rage falls short (besides, apparently, gameplay).

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          @RealNC

Did you play with wine or using the win ati rage driver? There you also want to force vsync always on.
          I didn't buy the game yet (it's not exactly a cheap one.) There was no demo, so I downloaded an illegal copy to see how it runs (I usually do that for games that don't offer playable demos.)

I run it under Windows 7 x64, with Catalyst 11.10 preview 2 (had the "Rage Performance Driver" before that). The game is unplayable (runs at 60FPS for 3 seconds, then freezes completely, then runs at 60FPS again, then freezes, etc.) Exactly like in this video:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

So it's not like it has glitches that are just annoying. This is actually really unplayable. I'm glad I didn't buy it. Maybe if they release a patch that fixes the problem.
          Last edited by RealNC; 08 October 2011, 11:01 AM.

Comment

It sucks that folks with AMD cards are having so many problems. Honestly I think it's quite unusual for a game to run that well through wine, even if it is using OpenGL, right off the bat. Usually when a new game comes out, especially using a brand new engine, it's either totally unplayable or at least has severe glitches and/or requires a bunch of dirty hacks/workarounds to get it running at all through wine for at least a few days, and likely a few weeks. For me the game runs like a champ on my GTX460 and it did right from day 1. Even the texture pop in wasn't that bad initially for me, though creating and tweaking the config file has made that considerably better. I don't have windows so I can't compare performance to the game natively running on windows, but the performance through wine is surprisingly good for me. Hopefully the issues with AMD cards and this game get sorted out soon.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
              That's an artifact of the novel texture streaming technology used in Rage. This is a game that will actually max out 4 CPU cores and can use GPGPU to improve performance. I'm pretty sure we'll see more of this technology being used once the next-generation consoles roll out.
              Oh yeah, because the CPU on the consoles is so powerful. Not! It's just as good to have 2 CPU cores that are fast than 4 cores that are slow. The number of threads you run doesn't depend on how many CPUs you have. It depends on total raw power. And the current consoles can't compete, no matter how many cores they have. If a single CPU core is as fast as 2 console cores, you can run the same amount of thread on it.

Comment

I didn't buy the game yet (it's not exactly a cheap one.) There was no demo, so I downloaded an illegal copy to see how it runs (I usually do that for games that don't offer playable demos.)

I run it under Windows 7 x64, with Catalyst 11.10 preview 2 (had the "Rage Performance Driver" before that). The game is unplayable (runs at 60FPS for 3 seconds, then freezes completely, then runs at 60FPS again, then freezes, etc.) Exactly like in this video:
                I'm having the same problem. I tried many suggested workarounds, but nothing worked :/
                The last thing I tried was using wine (Ubuntu 11.10 64) - and it ran Oo. But now, when I exit the Ark it crashes :S
                Last edited by alexThunder; 08 October 2011, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by alexThunder View Post
                  I'm having the same problem. I tried many suggested workarounds, but nothing worked :/
                  The last thing I tried was using wine (Ubuntu 11.10 64) - and it ran Oo. But now, when I exit the Ark it crashes :S
                  Well, I don't have an NVidia card, so Wine is not an option for me. Actually, Linux would not be an option for me even if Rage had a Linux version. I can only image the crappy FPS I would get with the OSS drivers. Linux Catalyst sucks, OSS drivers are too slow. I guess that explains why I never bought a Linux game :-P

Comment

Well, I don't have an NVidia card, so Wine is not an option for me. Actually, Linux would not be an option for me even if Rage had a Linux version. I can only image the crappy FPS I would get with the OSS drivers. Linux Catalyst sucks, OSS drivers are too slow. I guess that explains why I never bought a Linux game :-P
                    I don't have a NVidia card either, but a Radeon HD 5870 which works fine (i.e. Unigine Benchmarks, OilRush and the HiB games work great).

I didn't really use wine before (just for testing), so I was surprised, that Rage ran out of the box (except for crashing at that specific point).

Comment

Because these noobs decided not to waste 21GB of HDD space and want it to run right of the disc...

Comment

Working...
                      X