Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xonotic, The Successor To Nexuiz, Is Primed

Phoronix: Xonotic, The Successor To Nexuiz, Is Primed

It was a year and a half ago that Nexuiz was forked into Xonotic following some changes by core Nexuiz developers that effectively sold off the Nexuiz brand in order for an Xbox 360 re-make. In time for Christmas of 2010 they then did a v0.1 preview release of Xonotic and then came their first birthday without a new release. However, the Xonotic developers are now out with a major new release. Xonotic v0.5 is this new version and it boasts some radical changes as it becomes primed for a stable release.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Dang you guys work fast :P How'd you even find out before we sent press release? ARE YOU SPYING ON OUR IRC CHANNEL?!?!?!?!?!!!!?!?!!? AHHHHHH

Anyway: Good article mate, thanks for the look at Xonotic ^_^ Again, there's always more to come ;-)

Comment

Cool, great to see the progress! Can't wait to try it, I still have Nexuiz installed (don't game that much except on PS3) so I guess it's time to exchange it with Xonotic instead =)
      Vehicles rule!

Comment

Unfortunately my distro still doesn't provide packages.

Btw, I would appreciate to see more outdoor maps in the demos, like those beautiful UT2k4 onslaugh maps that I used to play in the past. Indoor maps make me a bit motion sick.
        I liked specially the vehicle demo.

Comment

Originally posted by samual View Post
          Dang you guys work fast :P How'd you even find out before we sent press release? ARE YOU SPYING ON OUR IRC CHANNEL?!?!?!?!?!!!!?!?!!? AHHHHHH

Anyway: Good article mate, thanks for the look at Xonotic ^_^ Again, there's always more to come ;-)
          RSS.... I actually had it done about 3 hours earlier, but I put the article off in the queue until it was on the next calendar day.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by DeiF View Post
            Unfortunately my distro still doesn't provide packages.
            They shouldn't have to. You should be able to download it directly from the devs as a cross-distro package.

Comment

Xonotic 0.5 also boasts optimized post-processing effects (including damage blur, bloom, and HDR). There is also new texture packs, improved AI for bots, new game modes, hundreds of bug-fixes, and other renderer improvements.
              Does this affect performance? Have the minimum graphics card requirements gone up? Any plans for benchmark comparisons between this version and the previous version, Michael?

Comment

Ah, I wish it was more flexible so a relatively realistic, outdoor singleplayer game could be made. I don't like fragfest, we have loads of those.

Comment

Originally posted by monkeynut View Post
                  Ah, I wish it was more flexible so a relatively realistic, outdoor singleplayer game could be made. I don't like fragfest, we have loads of those.
                  Only a couple of those fragfest games are being actively developed though. The others are looking long in the tooth. There's really only three right now that are moving forward. Xonotic looks promising.

Comment

Mi first impression was a bit bad.
                    The game tries to run fullscreen, and if you have a Twinview configuration it spans across all screens.
                    I have 2 monitors of different sizes, so when a program does that some of the interface gets obscured.
                    Being fair, a lot of opensource games do that. But that's not an excuse to not code something to detect Twinview.

Fortunately the game runs in windowed mode.
                    The problem is the closest size to my LCD was something like 1600x1080 or something weird like that, I don't remember.
                    My LCD is 1680x1050, so the game was horizontally shorter and vertically larger than my screen.

Additionally some vital GUI elements (exit button for example) were at the very bottom.
                    If you have your desktop configured to have the bottom panel appearing when the mouse is near that zone, those GUI elements get obscured.
                    So you can't click those buttons unless you first move the window.

I couldn't test it further since my main graphics card broke and now I'm using a cheap 8400GS which has terrible performance.
                    The things I've mentioned should be simple to correct so if any developer monitors this thread please have a look at it.

Comment

Working...
                    X