No announcement yet.

Linux Game Publishing Is Hitting A Bumpy Road Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The sites doesn't resolve for me either but this may well be due to some DNS issue. I have never been able to connect to www.tuxgames.com from home but can from work. Not sure about the other sites.

Comment

Hahaha, dead hard drive hahaha

Comment

I am one of the people that is hitten by this strange phenomen. I had bought a new PC and was installing X2 and X3. When trying to update the LGP-Update application is waiting forever, and X3 wont authorise - also hanging after giving the serial. At that moment I tried to reach the website to do a error report, and to my surprise the website was unreachable. However - after using a proxy (like surfert.nl) the website was raechable. Unfortunately this wont do me much good, because the LGP and DRM software cannot be re-routed, as the address is coded in the applications. What is happening? I don't know. It looks like some IP addresses are blocked for some reason - and I am one of them sadly..

I have contacted LGP on their support site (that was reachable for me), and I must say they were very responsive and helpful. They admitted some consumers seem to have trouble reaching their site. They are working to resolve this problem at this moment. I do not want to part in the negative sentiment, but I sure think twice the next time I going to buy a game that is DRM protected with a "phone home" type of protection. If LGP cannot solve this problem or is going out of business (what I do not hope, but it is not unthinkable) I am left with two worthless pieces of plastic that once contained a playable game I paid money for. I think a serial or disk-based DRM should be enough to satisfy the need for protection..

In the mean time I really hope this problem will be resolved. The people at LGP are doing their best as far as I know, and at this moment I am positive about it. Time will tell if this trust is rewarded or not...

And for people complaining about damaging the company. Sorry folks, but if I had kept my mouth shut I was left with two unusable pieces of plastic. I did not even know how to reach LGP before mentioning the problem here. It was only after asking here I learned the LGP site was reachable for others. As far as I knew earlier on the site was gone forever. Now I know they are still alive, and now this problem is being worked on. Should I had taken my lost and never played the games again - thinking LGP was gone forever? I do not think so! Asking a question is something different than deliberately basing a company, and without asking questions there will never be answers...

That said - I did not wanted there would be a article written about this, but there is noting I can do about that...
        Last edited by JClosed; 08 August 2011, 08:32 AM.

Comment

JClosed,

No one suggested you shouldn't complain.
          I was saying the Phoronix headline could be read as "LGP is dead once again", while in fact it is a technical difficulty that isn't shared by everyone.

- Gilboa
          oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
          oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
          oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
          Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

I'm affected by this too being unable to reach any of their servers, which unfortunately also includes the tuxgames.com and happypenguin.org sites, except via a third party web proxy. From traceroute it looks like a router or firewall at their provider is blocking connections possibly due to old bogons. However their provider is Rapidshare who are now owned by Iomart and both get pretty poor reviews for customer support...

Comment

"Server Maintenance Eskild Hustvedt (Community Manager and Junior Developer)

In order to address some ongoing network issues we will be performing a hardware migration on some of our servers during the course of this week. Please note that our website and other services will experience downtime during this migration which could last a day or two. We?re sorry to interfere with your gaming, be assured it?s for the long-term good and we?ll try get it done as quickly as we can!"

Linux Game Publishing - Producing commercial games for Linux

Comment

LGP is Back Online

Comment

Working...
                X