id Software's Rage May Not Be Coming To Linux Soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
    Ironic choice of words there, my friend; intentional?
    Unintentional, but people are saying that Steam now tracks which version of Wine people are using, so I just left it in. The Mac version of Rage getting pushed back after the iPhone/iPad version came out, even though Steam finally works on Mac is even more ironic.

Comment

Originally posted by downer View Post
      This is kinda getting off track about idTech5, but Prey, Quake 4, and ET:QW were also heavily modified idTech4 and not done by id and also all done by different studios and all on Linux. Therefore, I don't buy the idea "id didn't make it so it's okay if an idTech4 powered game is not on Linux" idea. That seems more like what free independent mod makers might do, and not a licensee spending millions over several years can do.

I originally meant to say that since Linux has seemed to remain small since 2007 around the time ET:QW was released, that buying large titles to play on Linux has also seemed to have lost steam.
      Hold on mate ETQW was developed by SD but id did have their hands in it due to John Carmack making megatexture for it and ttimo ported the game to linux (he also ported quake 4)! Wolfenstein had its rendering engine modified to natively support DirectX, it's obvious that a linux or mac would not see the light!

Comment

Originally posted by Setlec View Post
        Hold on mate ETQW was developed by SD but id did have their hands in it due to John Carmack making megatexture for it and ttimo ported the game to linux (he also ported quake 4)! Wolfenstein had its rendering engine modified to natively support DirectX, it's obvious that a linux or mac would not see the light!
        ET:QW and Quake 4 didn't have much new to offer over Doom 3, so a Linux binary isn't out of the ordinary. Check out doom3world.org and you'll see megatextures, outdoor scenes, total conversion mods with vehicles, etc. for Doom 3. To me, if it wasn't for their improved vehicles and missing Linux tools, they would seem very similar to Doom 3. Prey did offer new features over Doom 3, but it was ported outside id. My off track point for idTech4 was, why does id now let their game engine get hobbled?

I don't mean to lean so hard on id, and look forward to playing Rage.

Comment

ETQW has voip support, improved networking support from quake 4, megatexture, open world support kinda, OpenGL 2.1. IMO etqw would be a better candidate to open source after doom 3 release.

Comment

Originally posted by Setlec View Post
            Wolfenstein had its rendering engine modified to natively support DirectX, it's obvious that a linux or mac would not see the light!
            Is that a fact? It performs so well in WINE I could almost swear it's OpenGL. Either way that wouldn't have been a problem technically for porting houses they have libraries specifically for the purpose of Direct3D to OpenGL conversion. Many ported games actually use this including Valve's ports for Mac. All UE3 ports use them as well and Ryan Gordon also has mojoshader which is a Direct3D bytecode translator that he uses in his ports. So yeah, Direct3D is not a problem technically speaking.
            Last edited by smoke.tetsu; 10 August 2011, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smoke.tetsu View Post
              Is that a fact? It performs so well in WINE I could almost swear it's OpenGL. Either way that wouldn't have been a problem technically for porting houses they have libraries specifically for the purpose of Direct3D to OpenGL conversion. Many ported games actually use this including Valve's ports for Mac. All UE3 ports use them as well and Ryan Gordon also has mojoshader which is a Direct3D bytecode translator that he uses in his ports. So yeah, Direct3D is not a problem technically speaking.
              yes sir it's fac i can't be more sure than this
              Wolfenstein

Official website: www.wolfenstein.com
              Latest version: 1.1
              Single player and Multiplayer are two seperate branches
              Single player - evolved from Quake 4 branch.
              OpenGL renderer replaced with Directx 9 deferred renderer.
              File streaming system labeled 'Streamtech' using stream packs.
              UI using Scaleform GFX
              Physics handled by Havok
              Multi player - evolved from ETQW branch.
              Can use MD5r models of single player format.
              look here http://www.modwiki.net/wiki/Id_Tech_4 this is a good place for mod reference! (look at the bottom of the page). Couldn't find any official reference but i do recall reading it on pc gamers magazines..

As for UE3 it's a Dx designed engine while the previous version had opengl and dx support. Although UE3 only use opengl for mac and ios, I've yet to see a game using this engine on linux as a client and not a BS server! it's just like source engine linux support for game server and no client support.

Comment

I know for a fact that all UE3 titles that have come to the Mac so far and pretty much all upcoming ones use Direct3D to OpenGL compatibility layers same thing with Source Engine games. Nowadays it seems that it's easier for porting studios\developers to implement those for engines that where originally made to run via Direct3D than to totally rewrite their renderers to OpenGL so if they did get around to porting Wolfenstein (2009) to the Mac and Linux I'd pretty much guarantee that they would use a compatibility layer there too. That type of software also exists for Linux too I mean.... WINE does it as one of its functions (on linux and mac). So yeah the end result is those games use OpenGL but again Direct3D is not an issue or a roadblock. But yeah no UE3 or Source title has made it to Linux yet.

The only thing I wasn't clear on was what Wolfenstein (2009) used.
                Last edited by smoke.tetsu; 10 August 2011, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Same story with Doom3; they care, but there's a difference between priority levels. If I was running a game studio and had to choose between Windows or Linux first, guess what I'd release first.

It will come.

Comment

freebsd would be your first option? or maybe opensolaris or its fork? j/k

Comment

Should we even consider a Linux support after what Carmack said in his keynotes at QuakeCon? (around 22:50 I think. A guy asks him about portability)

Comment

Working...
                      X