id Software's Rage May Not Be Coming To Linux Soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    If nothing else we will get it when Id Tech 5 is made opensource, ...
    Hopefully so, id software will not license id tech 5 engine out side Zenimax/Bethesda.

Comment

driver support is very problematic, as we've seen for just a distro launching with a 3D accelerated desktop as default.
      Carmack once commented a game release would have to only support nvidia prioprietary driver.

backward and forward compatibility is a pain. will it run on ubuntu 8.04, on 12.04, on 14.04?
      will a handful of grandmas, joes and jane students buy it and will be pissed by the game not working or giant mouse lag?

I'm all for linux gaming but linux has to get more stable. maybe Solaris, BSD would be easier gaming platforms as I read they have better binary compatibility?
      I know that for trying out Unreal Tournament I had to go for Wine over the native linux version.

Comment

If they got everything working right with Doom3 and Quake4, they'll get it working with Rage too.

It's not like mouse input and drivers became WORSE in the meantime.

The only question is when they will find the time. Linux versions were always a friendly nod to the FLOSS community rather than a profit-bringing venture.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
          Yes thats good thing to do. But I think of 90% that it will come. Id soft is the linux-friendliest top-games company with longest history with support for linux.

But Its not as easy as it was on earlier games. Id soft used long times opengl for their games so its no big thing to make a port, now they use primary the dx engine so they have to port it for mac and linux. If Mac would support Directx I think they would also stop porting games for linux at all. And maybe because of the ps3?

So yes the pc is kind of dieing as gaming-plattform, ok most games come for it, but often with poorly ported inputs and then the graphics also most of the time badly scale up from what the old old consoles can do.

We have dx9 gen consoles vs dx11 gen computers. So if pc is basicly a niche market, how small is then the niche Linux on it.

So I can understand why they not invest much resources in hectic release time to make a concurrent release on all pc plattforms.
          Last I heard the PC version of Rage uses OpenGL. Only the Xbox version uses DirectX IIRC.

Comment

Nothing new... really....

I don't really get the fuss about Rage/Linux not being release-day platform.
            Linux was always was on-a-free-time-basis release which usually trailed the official Windows release by a couple of months (or more).
            Given the relative size of the Linux market, we can only thank ID for taking the time to port their games to Linux (if it takes a year post-official-release), let alone releasing their code.

In the mean time, hopefully, Id-tech-4 will yield interesting OSS games (or at least improve existing ones).

- Gilboa
            oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
            oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
            oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
            Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

I tried the linux doom3 port and didn't succeed.
              sound lags by several seconds ; I have a choice of changing sound backend or disabling surround, but I end up with no sound.
              as a french user the game suffers from the "non QWERTY plague", meaning I would have to rebind all weapons slots. (same as in open arena actually, but here the console works)

and lastly the game doesn't find config file so each run begins at 640x480 low with default options. this can probably fixed with a command line switch.

I can go out my way by installing oss4 and/or removing pulseaudio, but I don't want to lose pulseaudio and recent alsa is the first decent driver I've had for my card.

so I'll play it again with wine (none of these issues), hoping it doesn't crash at some level load.

I agree, open sourced id tech 4 is exciting. if only for fixing those little issues.
              dearly missing is a Free half-life 1 engine.
              Last edited by grok; 05 August 2011, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post
                sound lags by several seconds ; I have a choice of changing sound backend or disabling surround, but I end up with no sound.
                as a french user the game suffers from the "non QWERTY plague", meaning I would have to rebind all weapons slots. (same as in open arena actually, but here the console works)

and lastly the game doesn't find config file so each run begins at 640x480 low with default options. this can probably fixed with a command line switch.

I can go out my way by installing oss4 and/or removing pulseaudio, but I don't want to lose pulseaudio and recent alsa is the first decent driver I've had for my card.

so I'll play it again with wine (none of these issues), hoping it doesn't crash at some level load.

I agree, open sourced id tech 4 is exciting. if only for fixing those little issues.
                dearly missing is a Free half-life 1 engine.
                Or use osspd, and keep pulseaudio while still using oss for sound on native linux programs.......

Comment

I don't care. It's gonna be an awesome game. Platform doesn't matter to me. Only the game itself matters.

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post
                    Have you tried modifying your Doom3 launch script to set ALSA sound?

exec ./doom.x86 +set s_alsa_pcm plughw:0 +set NumberOfSpeakers 2 "$@"

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    I don't care. It's gonna be an awesome game. Platform doesn't matter to me. Only the game itself matters.
                    Yes... I'm going to grab it when it comes out and play it on Win7. No big deal to me. If a binary ever comes out for linux -- great. I'll probably have finished the game by then.

I just see Windows as a gaming platform of sorts... same as PS3, Xbox, Wii, etc. I don't really need it for anything else. The only downside is the inconvenience of rebooting to flip between gaming and my other stuff.

In terms of gaming, I don't see how linux provides any kind of advantage over Windows for either the developer or the player, so there really isn't any driving force to produce games for linux.

Comment

yes I do the same

.. playing it under windows is for me also the better option, because I generaly don't want proprietary binary only stuff in my linux-installation.

So keeping this 2 worlds appart is a good thing, and because Nvidia dont support opensource linux drivers (not really) I buy AMD cpus and gpus anyway, so they would also no way to play such games when they come out with free drivers, and the blob is to buggy for me and again closed stuff ^^.

So my final sollution will be 2 boxes one monster-machine for gaming, and one for linux power-saving, as example a zacate + ssd ^^ thats fast enough for all but gaming And both should have a working suspend to ram mode and then I can switch easy without fuckin rebooting ^^

+

all the media files (musik...) on a nas with autobackup ^^

Comment

Working...
                      X