Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Xen - VGA passthrough is the way to go!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ich w?re dir sehr dankbar, Kano! (I would be very grateful, Kano!)

First of all, Off-Topic: Micheal, why haven't you approved my last post? Because of that German word?

Then, I think it's great that Kano is interested in this, and if he manages to accomplish something like this, the whole Linux community would really appreciate it, if he could share his findings and exactly how he did it *hint*! So, please keep up your great work, Kano!
    You know, because this right here is a MAJOR potential to drag a LOT of new people into the Linux community! So, let's don't miss out on this and spread the goodness!

PS: Micheal, I think you should feature this somehow and perhaps even try to benchmark it. Because you know, the more Linux users, the more Phoronix readers!

Comment

VGA Passthrough looks really awesome.
      One thing that would be great is to use the northbridge or APU graphic cards for Linux, and having a more powerfull nvidia/amd graphic cards for the virtualized windows. The drawback is you will need two screens (or a switch to plug the 2 graphics cards to 1 screen).

I've made a few game working with wine, but I'm really tired of rebooting when playing some games. This solution looks really great.
      I'm using VirtualBox at work, (and dual-boot at home) but I never tried Xen. It seems more tricky to setup.

Comment

Now Ubisoft can run multiple mixed-environiment gaming administrative or gaming servers. The whole technology is about hosting windoofs with added GPU passthrough line. Ain't gonna contribute to linux gfx stack, nor to linux as desktop system, but will add Ubisoft and likes additional meat-shield in form of linux.

Did not expect anything constructive from them, either - they are just ignorant windoofs slaves. Perhaps, they even integrate their bullst DRM (as in digital wrongs) in to it, secretly (remember AC2?) Same as Blizzard. Garbage support companies.

Comment

Too late, too lame

Just two VMs? I have three VMs system running for six months now.
          http://lists.xensource.com/archives/.../msg00464.html

Comment

Originally posted by Lemrouch View Post
            Just two VMs? I have three VMs system running for six months now.
            http://lists.xensource.com/archives/.../msg00464.html
            Hehe, very cool setup!

Comment

What's the performance figures on those things, Lemrouch ?

Could you play something like Mafia 2 on it ?

Comment

Originally posted by nevertell View Post
                What's the performance figures on those things, Lemrouch ?

Could you play something like Mafia 2 on it ?
                You can play whatever you want.
                We are playing just Warcraft 3, Battlefield 2 Euro Force and Counter Strike 1.5.
                Buying every game three times is quite expensive fun.

If you want some numbers: Running default 3D Mark 2006 on all VMs at once gives cca 15k points per VM.

Comment

And is there any chance I can get windows 7 running with gpu pass-through on xen ?
                  I might actually have a practical use for this

Comment

Originally posted by nevertell View Post
                    And is there any chance I can get windows 7 running with gpu pass-through on xen ?
                    I might actually have a practical use for this
                    Actually I'm running 3x W7SP1 on that HW now. It has much faster network.

Comment

I'd really like to see that work with an optimus setup...

I've got a card in my computer right now I generally use acpi_call to turn off completely.

But I guess there's an extra layer of complexity when both my display adapters has 1 monitor.

Comment

Working...
                      X