Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Xen - VGA passthrough is the way to go!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• axero
    replied
    I have made a post at Intel's forums about virtualization and where it will be in the future. It can be found here:

http://communities.intel.com/thread/25945

Note that I made this post before I discovered the "Ubisoft" article at the Phoronix website.

Leave a comment:

• nepwk
    replied
    Originally posted by neuron View Post
    If I could take their existing windows license, put that in a VM. And let em play their game (in a LOT of cases wine isn't an option). Then that would open up a lot of more potentional users.
    Most people have an OEM license, so they're S.O.L. on transferring it to a VM unless they are sufficiently L337 enough to do a physical-to-virtual conversion, and then be able to fake all of the necessary UUIDs and BIOS strings to make the license not invalidate itself(ie: not very many people).

Leave a comment:

• mitcoes
    replied
    Phoronix benchmarks between native MS WOS and Xen Vga passthrough MS WOS please

I would like to read a test with

One Intel processor, One AMD processor, One Nvidia card, One Ati card, One Intel card.

This makes 6 configs.

With SDD, and HDD, and test MS WOS - MicroSoft Windows Operating System -

with Xen / Xen + Vga Passthrough / KVM - all with antivirus and ninite full bundle and fresh install without antivirus / Native - with antivirus and a Ninite full bundle / Native without antivirus an bundle.

If you virtualize for gaming, you can have a MS WOS fresh installed without no more programs than games, and without antivirus, and even if you have to native installations virus will affect you.

I think hardcore gamers would play with better performance with XEN and without antivirus.

Leave a comment:

• neuron
    replied
    I'd really like to see that work with an optimus setup...

I've got a card in my computer right now I generally use acpi_call to turn off completely.

But I guess there's an extra layer of complexity when both my display adapters has 1 monitor.

Leave a comment:

• Lemrouch
    replied
    Originally posted by nevertell View Post
    And is there any chance I can get windows 7 running with gpu pass-through on xen ?
    I might actually have a practical use for this
    Actually I'm running 3x W7SP1 on that HW now. It has much faster network.

Leave a comment:

• nevertell
    replied
    And is there any chance I can get windows 7 running with gpu pass-through on xen ?
    I might actually have a practical use for this

Leave a comment:

• Lemrouch
    replied
    Originally posted by nevertell View Post
    What's the performance figures on those things, Lemrouch ?

Could you play something like Mafia 2 on it ?
    You can play whatever you want.
    We are playing just Warcraft 3, Battlefield 2 Euro Force and Counter Strike 1.5.
    Buying every game three times is quite expensive fun.

If you want some numbers: Running default 3D Mark 2006 on all VMs at once gives cca 15k points per VM.

Leave a comment:

• nevertell
    replied
    What's the performance figures on those things, Lemrouch ?

Could you play something like Mafia 2 on it ?

Leave a comment:

• neuron
    replied
    Originally posted by Lemrouch View Post
    Just two VMs? I have three VMs system running for six months now.
    http://lists.xensource.com/archives/.../msg00464.html
    Hehe, very cool setup!

Leave a comment:

• Lemrouch
    replied
    Too late, too lame

Just two VMs? I have three VMs system running for six months now.
    http://lists.xensource.com/archives/.../msg00464.html

Leave a comment:

Working...
X