Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Xen - VGA passthrough is the way to go!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nepwk
    replied
    Originally posted by neuron View Post
    If I could take their existing windows license, put that in a VM. And let em play their game (in a LOT of cases wine isn't an option). Then that would open up a lot of more potentional users.
    Most people have an OEM license, so they're S.O.L. on transferring it to a VM unless they are sufficiently L337 enough to do a physical-to-virtual conversion, and then be able to fake all of the necessary UUIDs and BIOS strings to make the license not invalidate itself(ie: not very many people).

Leave a comment:

• mitcoes
    replied
    Phoronix benchmarks between native MS WOS and Xen Vga passthrough MS WOS please

I would like to read a test with

One Intel processor, One AMD processor, One Nvidia card, One Ati card, One Intel card.

This makes 6 configs.

With SDD, and HDD, and test MS WOS - MicroSoft Windows Operating System -

with Xen / Xen + Vga Passthrough / KVM - all with antivirus and ninite full bundle and fresh install without antivirus / Native - with antivirus and a Ninite full bundle / Native without antivirus an bundle.

If you virtualize for gaming, you can have a MS WOS fresh installed without no more programs than games, and without antivirus, and even if you have to native installations virus will affect you.

I think hardcore gamers would play with better performance with XEN and without antivirus.

Leave a comment:

• neuron
    replied
    I'd really like to see that work with an optimus setup...

I've got a card in my computer right now I generally use acpi_call to turn off completely.

But I guess there's an extra layer of complexity when both my display adapters has 1 monitor.

Leave a comment:

• Lemrouch
    replied
    Originally posted by nevertell View Post
    And is there any chance I can get windows 7 running with gpu pass-through on xen ?
    I might actually have a practical use for this
    Actually I'm running 3x W7SP1 on that HW now. It has much faster network.

Leave a comment:

• nevertell
    replied
    And is there any chance I can get windows 7 running with gpu pass-through on xen ?
    I might actually have a practical use for this

Leave a comment:

• Lemrouch
    replied
    Originally posted by nevertell View Post
    What's the performance figures on those things, Lemrouch ?

Could you play something like Mafia 2 on it ?
    You can play whatever you want.
    We are playing just Warcraft 3, Battlefield 2 Euro Force and Counter Strike 1.5.
    Buying every game three times is quite expensive fun.

If you want some numbers: Running default 3D Mark 2006 on all VMs at once gives cca 15k points per VM.

Leave a comment:

• nevertell
    replied
    What's the performance figures on those things, Lemrouch ?

Could you play something like Mafia 2 on it ?

Leave a comment:

• neuron
    replied
    Originally posted by Lemrouch View Post
    Just two VMs? I have three VMs system running for six months now.
    http://lists.xensource.com/archives/.../msg00464.html
    Hehe, very cool setup!

Leave a comment:

• Lemrouch
    replied
    Too late, too lame

Just two VMs? I have three VMs system running for six months now.
    http://lists.xensource.com/archives/.../msg00464.html

Leave a comment:

• crazycheese
    replied
    Now Ubisoft can run multiple mixed-environiment gaming administrative or gaming servers. The whole technology is about hosting windoofs with added GPU passthrough line. Ain't gonna contribute to linux gfx stack, nor to linux as desktop system, but will add Ubisoft and likes additional meat-shield in form of linux.

Did not expect anything constructive from them, either - they are just ignorant windoofs slaves. Perhaps, they even integrate their bullst DRM (as in digital wrongs) in to it, secretly (remember AC2?) Same as Blizzard. Garbage support companies.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X