No announcement yet.

Unigine OilRush Needs More Time To Drill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So does Unigine sponser Phoronix or something? Seems a bit strange to keep writing articles about some 3d oil drilling sim..?! Thats my guess about what it is since I don't read the articles.

Please disclose any such affiliations, thankyou

Comment

Originally posted by slojam View Post
      Thats my guess about what it is since I don't read the articles.
      Not reading the articles would be your first problem. RTFA.

Originally posted by slojam View Post
      So does Unigine sponser Phoronix or something? Seems a bit strange to keep writing articles about some 3d oil drilling sim..?!
      No, they don't sponsor Phoronix. They can barely afford to sponsor themselves! They're a small indie house with an unusually good 3d engine. They're extremely ill-equipped to create game content, and are running into production delays making an actually fun campaign, exactly as I anticipated months ago and have continued to say on the forums.

Also, it has nothing to do with being an "oil drilling sim". Again, if you read the articles, you would know this. It's a strategy game. It's closer to games like Command & Conquer or Supreme Commander than Railroad Tycoon.

As for my take on the delay: as a pre-order customer, I embrace it. I'm glad they are taking the necessary time to add depth to the gameplay and the campaign. The game is visually beautiful, but it still needs many, many months of additional work to have any promise as a strategy game with a respectable campaign.

I am very thankful that Denis and his team are spending more money and time on trying to make their debut game more than a 5-minute demo experience.

Comment

I'd buy Oilrush directly, but...

... it wouldn't run on my system. I think, they are doing a good job, they are a small company and they target linux. And the price is fair. If video games always cost around 15-20? and ran on Linux/FreeBSD I would seriously buy some every year. It's like I still spend lots of money on CDs....
        But the game has to work on my system, I since I care about Free Drivers, I most definitely won't. Too bad, and its not really unigene's faullt. I might buy it in a year when the free drivers are there, tough.

Comment

I've just bought the pre-order

Just in order to support the devs, I've ordered the game (and downloaded it :-).

I'm not sure if I'll find time to play with the beta soon, but at least I found time to pay and to encourage them in the good direction (not being windows-only game ..).

I'll try to dig and bug report.

And as Stallman told me personnally (yep !) games are something "different" than Free Software because "a lot of the game is about content creation and not software development, so this is logical to pay for that...".

Comment

No surprise about the delay. While the game looks great, the content (read: campaign) is still far from a finished product. I'm fine with the delay, I'm in the "take all the time you need to make a good product" camp.

Comment

Originally posted by sirdilznik View Post
              I'm fine with the delay, I'm in the "take all the time you need to make a good product" camp.

^This.^

Werd, let-ers n' sh!t yo...

Comment

Working...
              X