No announcement yet.

More Details On The Desura Linux Client

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screw Ubuntu Software Center. I've been using Ubuntu for a few years now, but who knows for sure if I will forever. I don't want to be tied to a specific distribution. Also, I absolutely do not want proprietary software in my system package manager. That raises another issue though, which is updating. For some people, manually updating games is not a problem. But me, I don't have the time. I just finally got around to updating my Humble Bundle games yesterday. Updating software manually feels so windows XP. Desura solves all of these issues. (Potentially at least, I don't think anyone knows how installations will be handled yet).

Not to mention, there are a ton of FOSS games on Desura too, many with cool mods that can be installed easily. Some people may not have the same needs/wants/desires as I do, but I'm sure many people can agree with at least some of my points. These reasons are why I'm really looking forward to Desura.
    Last edited by benmoran; 09 June 2011, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Yup it will be a delivery system without any real content to deliver.
      If they manage to present the number of installations + details of the user's hardware to publishers/developers I doubt it won't have any impact at all, if of course the hardware is good enough for actual games. Good gaming hardware equals money, and the will to spend money on entertainment.

I hope for them that they won't limit their collection to native Linux games. They could maintain an actual database of games that are completely - or mostly - playable using wine and even make a deal with the company that's developing crossover.
      Last edited by EarthMind; 09 June 2011, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        Do package managers have the ability to handle payments, track purchases etc.. ? I was under the impression that was the issue here.
        Most package managers allow authenticated access to repositories, so the only thing a frontend like Ubuntu Software Center has to do is take a customer's payment and then add a new repository (with authentication credentials) to the software sources.

Comment

Originally posted by JanC View Post
          Most package managers allow authenticated access to repositories, so the only thing a frontend like Ubuntu Software Center has to do is take a customer's payment and then add a new repository (with authentication credentials) to the software sources.
          Yes. Lots of companies like creating everything themselves from scratch and then keeping a repository updated.

Comment

Well i shall be interviewing them on www.gamingonlinux.com so keep an eye out, plus send me any interesting questions , will probably pop the first part up in the next few days...

Comment

Originally posted by Micket View Post
              What problems is desura actually solving?
              In my experience, the biggest hurdle is bugs. (Takinb the humble bundles and some open source games into account).

Noone making games seem to know how to handle full screen. They all just fuck around with X, changing the screen resolution in all kinds of ways. This will almost always fuck up dual screen setups, or cause other headaches such as crashing and leaving the screen(s) in a messed up state, or steal the mouse/keyboard, preventing you tabbing out without quitting (fuck you Aquaria).
              This is a good read

Or they just have some general bugs, segfaulting here and there.
              But if there is one thing i haven't had much problems with, its the download and installation (even though every single game have had their own method).
              Nothing desura could really do about that. Mabye wayland...

Comment

Originally posted by KameZero View Post
                Yes. Lots of companies like creating everything themselves from scratch and then keeping a repository updated.
                Don't forget about getting to do it for every major distribution! Everybody loves that sort of thing. Especially the accountants handling the programmers' pay.

Comment

Working...
                X