Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sapphire Radeon HD 6770

Phoronix: Sapphire Radeon HD 6770

Continuing to ensure that Linux benchmarks on the latest AMD Radeon HD graphics processors are available, the kind people at Sapphire have sent over another Radeon HD 6000 series graphics card. After previously reviewing the Sapphire Radeon HD 6570 and Sapphire Radeon HD 6870, up now is the Sapphire Radeon HD 6770. The Radeon HD 6770 (and HD 6750) up until recently was just offered to OEM builders, but now Sapphire has begun selling various products with these graphics processors, which end up being re-branded Radeon HD 5770/5750 "Juniper" graphics processors.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

even though I wasn't particulary interested about that HD 6770, the radeon 5830 looks like a really good deal on linux for its price..!

Comment

Any infos on the power consumption idle/max?
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Not to sound rude but does phoronix get to keep the video card (as gift) or does it have to return it back?

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
          Not to sound rude but does phoronix get to keep the video card (as gift) or does it have to return it back?
          We get to keep it and that's what we end up using as the hardware in the many Linux driver articles and other Linux graphics tests.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Elyotna View Post
            even though I wasn't particulary interested about that HD 6770, the radeon 5830 looks like a really good deal on linux for its price..!
            5830 eats more than 5850... It is heavily cut-down gpu. Nevertheless I will use 2gb version of 5850/70 should opensource driver get performance or proprietary get polished above or equal to nvidia. They cost now ~200-300$

Thanks for thorough benchies, Michael!
            Last edited by crazycheese; 07 June 2011, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              We get to keep it and that's what we end up using as the hardware in the many Linux driver articles and other Linux graphics tests.
              By the way, could you test the current state of Xfire/SLI and antialiasing (on proprietary), if you find time, please?

Comment

5830 vs 6770

Originally posted by Elyotna View Post
                It does look really interesting. I can get the 5830 in Oz for $10 more than the 6770 ($129), and am strongly considering the 5830. I have concerns over the Sapphire spec for the the 5830 though. It looks like its using hdmi 1.3 ??? not 1.4.

Also, they both only use UVD 2.2, not 3 which is a bit of a bu*mer if I really want to use either of them in my media pc.

And ...

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                Any infos on the power consumption idle/max?
                With 2 x 6 pin power connectors I am assuming its power draw would be double??? Any info on the wattage / power consumption of the two cards in Idle and Max?

I am wanting either the 5830 or the 6770 to power a Dell U2711 and also watch blue rays & hd films, possible occasional gaming on Fedora 15. So, 2550 x 1440 is the more than anything I've had before. How would the 5830 and the 6770 compare to an old Nvidia 8600GTO?

Do I need Double Precision FP ? the 5830 has it but the 6770 doesn't.

Any recommendations? I would love to hear peoples two bits on this. Noise levels and power draw are an issue to me.

I bought a 5450 and am totally dissatisfied with its performance. It's next to useless for playing back HD content (which is why I bought it.)

Comment

Warning

warning! Don't buy this card if you intend to use it on linux! Fglrx-support is very buggy and the opensource drivers don't work at all! I bought this card because of phoronix' test which actually seems telling this card is great for linux, but it isn't at all! Don't buy it!

Comment

Thank you for the warning.

Originally posted by zilti View Post
                    warning! Don't buy this card if you intend to use it on linux! Fglrx-support is very buggy and the opensource drivers don't work at all! I bought this card because of phoronix' test which actually seems telling this card is great for linux, but it isn't at all! Don't buy it!
                    Thank you for this warning. I was specifically considering this card for use on my Fedora 15 system.

I would have thought that being just a revision of the 5770 that support would have been better. Time will help with the driver support but, I'll hold off on purchasing this card for now. Looks like I'll have to stick with my 9600GT for a while longer, but at least Nvidia support is reasonably mature.

Comment

Working...
                    X