ETA for DOOM 3 to be open sourced?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ETA for DOOM 3 to be open sourced?

I know Doom 3 was released in 2003 and now since 2008 is coming soon. anyone think that it will be open sourced in 2008. anyone heard any information on this at all?

Originally posted by smp-freak View Post
    I know Doom 3 was released in 2003 and now since 2008 is coming soon. anyone think that it will be open sourced in 2008. anyone heard any information on this at all?
    I doubt this will happen until at least ID tech is out for a year and there are no games under development using it

Comment

Originally posted by Raven3x7 View Post
      I doubt this will happen until at least ID tech is out for a year and there are no games under development using it
      That'd be my take on things. The latest iD Tech engine would have to be out for a little bit with licensees before they'd consider a release. I'm itching to see a real-live demo on the new stuff from John and Co., but will be patient like the rest of us- but like the looks we saw from the Doom3 teasers, he's working really hard at raising the bar, just like Epic's doing with the new Unreal engine tech.

Comment

Have you seen that the platforms supported by ID Tech 5 are mentioned on ID?s official site and that Linux is not under them. If the next ID game won?t be available for Linux, too, it would be truly sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Sturmhaube View Post
          Have you seen that the platforms supported by ID Tech 5 are mentioned on ID?s official site and that Linux is not under them. If the next ID game won?t be available for Linux, too, it would be truly sad.
          I wouldn't read TOO much into that "omission". Targeting PS3 means effectively targeting MacOS AND Linux because the same rendering layer API is there and there's roughly equivalent input, networking, and sound layer APIs for those platforms- I suspect they're not mentioning Linux support because there's pretty much only ONE vendor providing the adequate OpenGL support- NVidia.

Comment

Working...
          X