Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    Shadowground: Survivor works fine.

Trine has a lighting bug, but works. There are hacks/patches you can apply to make it render properly, but a proper fix is on the way: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=36236

Shadowground has some lighting problems in the menu, so you can't launch the game. It's probably the same bug as with Trine.

I suggest doing what I did: Donate the average (or some other amount), and then boost your donation once all games work with OSS drivers.
    That sounds wonderful. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
      no 'Shadowground: Survivor' also does have the lighting bug on my system.
      It makes sense, since all three games use the same engine.

But I found that the lack of lighting didn't really matter, as you could play Survivor just fine -- you see everything, although it's a bit dark.

It's hard to play Trine without lighting, and you can't even see the menu in Shadowgrounds.

Comment

Ok, so I bought it (from Linux, which shouldn't be a surprise since I only run linux ), a little above the average Linux buying price.

Trine won't run at all, and the two Shadowgrounds are downloading but I have little hope. It doesn' matter too much, it's a matter of time. I am running Kubuntu 11.04. Catalyst installs but fails to start, and the Radeon driver works great but the games are a no go. I am not willing to install xorg-edgers, so I guess my best chance is to wait for either the fixes to be ported to the Kubuntu Natty stack, or just try fglrx in their next release.

Anyways, I got to donate some money to worth charities and pay for DRM free, Linux compatible games, so it's still a good day

If anyone has pointers to workarounds though, it would be appreciated.

Comment

Yes, you need s3tc for all three games, which is not enabled by default on any binary distro. I'm not sure what the best way to do this in Kubuntu is, sorry.

You'll need to use the Gallium3d drivers, not classic. Also, you will also need the .39 kernel if you are using r600g.

For Shadowgrounds and Survivor, you might need to remove some libraries, see the end of this thread: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...-Bundle/page14

Comment

Ok, so I think I will only get 3 Indie games running, but I'll also earn a PhD in computer graphics!

Thanks a lot pingufunkybeat! I'll take one more look, and maybe just wait for the new catalyst. This should be perfect with *buntu 11.10 and OS drivers.

One more thing: both Shadowgrounds kind of loaded, not very useful, but I got sound problems, too, that I should probably address in the meantime:

Code:
            AL lib: alsa.c:344: Could not open playback device 'default': Invalid argument
            AL lib: oss.c:179: Could not open /dev/dsp: No such file or directory
            I googled for that and found something perhaps relevant:

I am running this in 64 bit. Do I really need to mess with ia32 libs? I noticed Trine is offered for 64bit, but the Shadowgrounds is one single download, and they have a lib32 folder.

Many thanks for all the help!

Comment

The Bumble Bundle +1

I've noted some small lamentations on Phoronix about how this bundle has generated disappointing sales. My question is "has it?" At the time of this writing, the Frozenbyte bundle has netted near to $800,000.00. I would hardly call this disappointing, and apparently Frozenbyte would agree as they have opened the source code for viewing.

Think about it. Essentially Frozenbyte has released three Linux games with the promise of a fourth (when and if it ever gets finished) and a cancelled lump that was never going to make them any money in the first place. The rough average each studio participating in the previous two bundles received was around $250K, give or take a few percentage points.

Frozenbyte has raked in about this per-game amount for the three Linux games in this bundle. That's not what I would call disappointing. It's about par for the course. And when you figure two of those three games (I think that's right), were already ported to Linux some time ago. Most reports I've seen were saying that they had already bought the Shadowgrounds games before they were offered in this bundle. That leaves Trine as the standout new game.

The way I add things up, that means Frozenbyte just cleared ~ $800,000.00 in two weeks for one new game bundled with two older ones past their expiration date, one cancelled game (read: developer trash) that didn't even meet the specifications of the bundle as I understood them, and a piece of promiseware.

How is this not a RAGING success?

(And for what it's worth, my back-of-the-envelope calculations tell me that about 8% of all sales were for Linux. )

Comment

Originally posted by Plombo View Post
                Darn, it seems to just be the source code for the Windows version. The Linux port is not included.
                I asked joel about this and he promised the Linux version is coming.

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
                Really? I was hoping I could compile a 64-bit version of Shadowgrounds. Oh welll.
                If it was as simple as just compiling on 64-bit I would have done it myself. The game was originally written for win32 only and does stupid shit like directly loading binary files into data structures. It's going to take a significant amount of work to make it compile on 64-bit.

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
                  I am running this in 64 bit. Do I really need to mess with ia32 libs? I noticed Trine is offered for 64bit, but the Shadowgrounds is one single download, and they have a lib32 folder.
                  The Shadowgrounds games are 32-bit only. You'll need 32-bit libs, including the latest 32-bit Mesa.

Trine has a 64-bit version, you don't need anything extra.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                    The Shadowgrounds games are 32-bit only. You'll need 32-bit libs, including the latest 32-bit Mesa.

Trine has a 64-bit version, you don't need anything extra.
                    Thanks! I ran getlibs on the executable and all dependencies are supposedly satisfied. I guess the best thing for me to do is to install Kubuntu 10.10, 32bit, in separate partition, for my kids to play with the game. I'd love to contribute to debugging this but I lack the time

Hopefully frozenbyte will compile these for 64bit in the future. In any case, Kudos to them for supporting Linux.

Comment

Well, moving some of the libs from the local lib32 to a backup subdir, so they wouldn't interfere with the Ubuntu versions, seems to work. For sound, moving libasound* out of the way seemed to help. These games really need a 64 bit build

Comment

Working...
                      X