Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It doesn't fit the open source definition, specifically rules 6 and 8:
    6. No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor

The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the program in a specific field of endeavor. For example, it may not restrict the program from being used in a business, or from being used for genetic research.

[...]

8. License Must Not Be Specific to a Product

The rights attached to the program must not depend on the program's being part of a particular software distribution. If the program is extracted from that distribution and used or distributed within the terms of the program's license, all parties to whom the program is redistributed should have the same rights as those that are granted in conjunction with the original software distribution.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxToTheMax View Post
      It doesn't fit the OSI's definition but taken at literal meaning it is true.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxToTheMax View Post
        ... and when did OSI have a sole right for the term "open source"? Also, did Frozenbyte ever say it's going to be an OSI-approved license?

Comment

i think they could reach a million if they keep offering interesting stuff, port the editors and then in the last 24 hours give a surprise

Comment

Originally posted by AHSauge View Post
            ... and when did OSI have a sole right for the term "open source"? Also, did Frozenbyte ever say it's going to be an OSI-approved license?
            The OSI was founded by the people who invented the term "open source," and was initially the organization responsible for promoting it. In fact, they tried (unsuccessfully, but not due to prior use) to get a trademark on the term.

Comment

Originally posted by AHSauge View Post
              ... and when did OSI have a sole right for the term "open source"?
              When someone decided they wanted to complain about the license that doesn't really prevent them from starting their own game, holding a logo contest, deciding between git and subversion, choosing one, and then promptly forgetting about the project after two weeks of mild tweaks to the existing code.

Comment

I don't know why people are whining about this license. So you can't sell derivative products? Ok? Was anyone planning on making a Shadowgrounds clone and then selling it?

The license is kind of similar to the GPL where it says you can't distribute GPL code in binary from without distributing the code in source form which in most cases prohibits many businesses from selling a product using open source code.

Come on, it's just a game. It's not anything critical to your system, or to the survival of mankind. Isn't the whole idea of open source based around community involvement and not taking someones code and selling it?

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
                  Come on, it's just a game. It's not anything critical to your system, or to the survival of mankind. Isn't the whole idea of open source based around community involvement and not taking someones code and selling it?
                  I fully agree. The GPL type license is great for things where multiple vendors may team uo, build some generic software, and then sell support, etc. For things like games, a license of this type seems reasonable.

On related news, are these games still not running with Open Source drivers? I would like to buy the bundle but I am running the Open Source ATI stack.

Cheers, and thanks in advance for any info!

Comment

I'm not bashing Frozenbyte for choosing this license (and in fact I am praising them for releasing their source at all,) and Wolfire has done a pretty good job of not misrepresenting it either. I'm just saying that Phoronix's news story was inaccurate.

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
                      On related news, are these games still not running with Open Source drivers? I would like to buy the bundle but I am running the Open Source ATI stack.
                      Shadowground: Survivor works fine.

Trine has a lighting bug, but works. There are hacks/patches you can apply to make it render properly, but a proper fix is on the way: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=36236

Shadowground has some lighting problems in the menu, so you can't launch the game. It's probably the same bug as with Trine.

I suggest doing what I did: Donate the average (or some other amount), and then boost your donation once all games work with OSS drivers.

Comment

Working...
                      X