Yes, There Are Portal 2 Linux References

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Well I can tell you, without knowing the numbers, that Quake 3 had a massive Linux sale, but probably the Windows disk.
    id software's John Carmack said the packaged Linux Quake 3 sold poorly. This doesn't refute your point but if Linux folk just buy the Windows version of things, there's little incentive to produce a Linux version.

Comment

As Mr. Carmack said in that post, there were valid reasons why the nix version didnt sell as well, price and availability. Check out Quake 3 on tux games and Quake 3 windows version, esp when you can download the client etc. people will buy the cheaper version.

Comment

Seeing is Believing..........

..........but over hyping is just another form of bullshit. Why does Phoronix waste time with these kinds of stories? There is no official Steam Client coming to Linux. There are no Games coming to Linux from Valve. Leaked development clients and variable names in code don't reflect an actual business decision from Valve that they will actually pursue linux as a target platform. Press releases and comments from Valve employees are also no better than politician promises. They can talk all they want. Until we can install and buy games through a real, properly released and supported Linux Steam client by Valve, you are just wasting your time. Your gaming time is better served playing games that actually exist.

I am pretty sure that in 6-12 months this story will pop up again. And more than likely, nothing will have changed.

Shame on Phoronix for lowering itself to tabloid media standards.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodolandy View Post
          Being suspicious is fine but what I have seen in these forums is people actually bashing Michael. I don't like it when he says it is confirmed when Valve hasn't confirmed anything but I am not going to bash him and call him a lier like so many do. None of us actually know if he does or does not have a contact inside of Valve so all we can do is simply wait and see if it actually happens.

One question I do have to those bashing Michael (or any other author claiming Steam is coming) is, if/when Steam comes to Linux, are you guys going to apologise for the bashing or you guys just going to fade away, pretending it never happened?

Again, being suspicious is fine but people can state why they are suspicious without the bashing.
          no
          and do you know why? trying to peddle speculative reporting as fact which may turn out to be correct long after the fact doesnt really deserve reconition.

it would be similar to me going
          i am going to win a lotter ticket and pick the winning numbers for saturdays draw
          saturday comes and the numbers are not drawn. I contimually go
          noone believes me but i have picked the winning numbrs[/quote
          a year after the initial ticket pick those numbers come up
          see see i picked the winning numbers, look how silly those that didint believe me look now. i r pro reporter that gets it right

yup numbers were correct BUT not when it counts.

remeber the article that is nearly a year old where phoronix stated that linux client is confirmed (with no actual confirmation) and it was coming at the end of summer (that was last summer). if steam comes to linux next year and phononix still hold onto that article as ghospel (rather than doing real investigative repoerting) why should they get praise.

look at those people over 10years that kept sating DNF is comming i tell you...

Comment

Originally posted by ronybeck View Post
            ..........but over hyping is just another form of bullshit. Why does Phoronix waste time with these kinds of stories? There is no official Steam Client coming to Linux. There are no Games coming to Linux from Valve. Leaked development clients and variable names in code don't reflect an actual business decision from Valve that they will actually pursue linux as a target platform. Press releases and comments from Valve employees are also no better than politician promises. They can talk all they want. Until we can install and buy games through a real, properly released and supported Linux Steam client by Valve, you are just wasting your time. Your gaming time is better served playing games that actually exist.

I am pretty sure that in 6-12 months this story will pop up again. And more than likely, nothing will have changed.

Shame on Phoronix for lowering itself to tabloid media standards.
            I know Phoronix is a "linux based tabloid" since several years ago, so if you want proper information, look in ahother website.

Comment

the question of linux is really dumb when it comes to valve games .
              from hl they do linux dedicated servers .

one thing is missing : the renderer . may be some , here , should make one .
              these release should be called non-steam ;']
              there are a lot of cracked servers that run with some steam emulator .

that could be good if the linux release would eat the windows cracked .

Comment

Just an probably unimportant side note that someone posted today at the Steam forums:

I got a reply on the email I had sent Valve about Native Steam client for Linux. I got the following reply:

Hello,

A staff member has replied to your question:

Hello Saurabh, Thank you for contacting Steam Support. The information on the Steam Storefront is the only available information at this time. Please refer to the Steam News section for the latest news and updates on upcoming Steam titles and content. Steam News http://store.steampowered.com/news/ Thank you for your interest.

At least that doesn't sound like an explicit denial of an upcoming Linux Steam client.

Comment

Originally posted by jcgeny View Post
                  the question of linux is really dumb when it comes to valve games .
                  from hl they do linux dedicated servers .

one thing is missing : the renderer . may be some , here , should make one .
                  these release should be called non-steam ;']
                  there are a lot of cracked servers that run with some steam emulator .

that could be good if the linux release would eat the windows cracked .
                  SOURCE engine has been ported to OGL (SOURCE/STEAM is available for OSX plus there is still some plans to bring postalIII to linux which will use SOURCE) thus this isn't a renderer issue but more of a business/political issue as to whether SOURCE/sTEAM will come to linux

Comment

Phoronix is _not_ a Linx tabloit since they have never been proven wrong before. Open source AMD did you forget that? Also there are Wine hacks in Valve software and they are clearly visible and recently the Mac port cane out.

Now if Valve sais: Phoronix is full of shit, then Phoronix is tabloit. Untill then, Michael isn't proven wrong. Sonething on a wiki of Valve forum saying something cryptic is as much tabloit BS in that regard.

Given that Michael once before said to have inside info for AMD itself, from crying out loud, and proved to be right, makes him credible.

Valve however isn't realy poven credible in their previous outings, so if you have a problem with Epics financial fiasco then fine, but the hell bother with a 100 page counting topic about right/wrong? That is getting a billion times more old to me than this claimed inside info.

Michael I, for one, find you credible and like to keep being informed about Valve's own crappy schedule (as usual). If I'm proven wrong you are free to point that out, once Valve publicly sais so.

Comment

Jonathan Blow (creator of Braid) wrote in a comment:

Hey guys, we will have a public release for Linux available probably at some point this year, but we are waiting on something else to happen to make that work well. More news as it happens.
                      Something else... like Steam for Linux perhaps? One can hope at least

Comment

Working...
                      X