Mindshare: Focus Gaming - Linux Gaming Weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mindshare: Focus Gaming - Linux Gaming Weekend

"What does the Linux platform lack that Windows or Mac has? Mind share. Which is like Market share but instead for how people perceive the brand. Apple has the ?Mind share? that they are user friendly and easy to use, it doesn?t matter if they actually are!

Don?t just take my word for it. Test it! Find someone who has never used any Portable Music Player before. Load some music on both of them. Put the volume too low. See which one is easier for that person (without any instruction) to turn the volume up.

The takeaway is that we need to do some redefining. Let?s start with Gaming. Many people don?t believe there are Linux Gamers. Let?s get out there and make our presence known.
    Introducing Linux Gaming Weekend

When? April 16 ? 17.

Two goals of the weekend. Showcasing Linux Gaming demand to Valve (and their gamers) and Showcasing Great Linux games!

Showcase Linux Gaming demand in Valve?s Steam Platform (you could run in Wine or in Windows but the key is to spread the idea of Linux Gaming)
    What to do?

Play Multiplayer games with the gamer tag/name LinuxGamer. Focusing on popular or beta games might help. Perhaps these (don?t buy them! ? skip to #2 if you don?t have any Valve games):
    Counter-Strike: Source (or Beta)
    Left 4 Dead
    Team Fortress 2

If every server anyone connects to this weekend is filled with LinuxGamers this affects the other gamers Mindshare. I also think the Beta servers are more monitored by Valve, so better chance of being noticed there.
    Sending feedback to Valve through their email address [email protected]
    Guidelines: Be respectful. Offer to beta test a Linux Version. If you have those games already say so. If you don?t (and are interested in their games) say that you?d buy them if there was a Linux version.
    Showcase a couple Great Linux Games (that offer similar gaming to the Windows only ones above)
    Urban Terror (Website)
    Tremulous.net (Website)
    Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory (FTP Site)

Tentative Schedule

Saturday

2PM ? 1 Hour of Counter:Strike Source (or Urban Terror or another Valve multiplayer game)
    3PM ? 2 Hours of Urban Terror
    Walk Outside! / Snack/ Dinner
    7PM ? 1 Hour of Left 4 Dead (or Tremulous or another Valve multiplayer game)
    8PM ? 2 Hours of Tremulous/Might switch to OpenArena

Sunday

7PM ? 1 Hour of Team Fortress 2 (or Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory or another Valve multiplayer game)
    8PM ? 2 Hours of Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory

At the very least it should be fun! And feel free to suggest better matches for the Valve games. I?ll try to post getting started on each of the free games before the Linux Gaming Weekend, so that everyone will have a better idea of how to play. I?ve switched my name to LinuxGamer in all the games I play (having lots of fun in UrbanTerror right now) and you could always make that switch before the weekend too?.

Bonus Points:
    Test an unstable distribution (Ubuntu RC of 11.04 should have just come out), run Steam Beta, or the Beta of one of the games."

Working...
X