Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by moonlitfire View Post
    but Michael does have the decency to clarify towards the end. He says:

"This could also simply be in reference to a dedicated Linux server build of Garry's Mod, but regardless a big day is coming up."

Guess what? It was a reference to Garry building a dedicated server.
    So what's the "regardless a big day coming up"? The dedicated server has been available for Linux for ages (4+ years?).

Comment

Originally posted by 3vi1 View Post
      So what's the "regardless a big day coming up"? The dedicated server has been available for Linux for ages (4+ years?).
      It's honestly not that complicated. Michael believes there is a big day coming up for Linux and Steam, but in the same breath he's conceding that the Garry's mod posts could just be about the Garry working on the Linux server. That's what it actually turned out to be, and there is no reason to get the pitchforks and torches out over it.

Comment

Whenever I see a steam and/or source engine for linux headline, I laugh and skip straight to the comments. They're a far more interesting read.
        There is no steam or source engine coming to linux, at least not anytime soon. That's that. Some developer mucking about internally at Valve does not count.

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
          Whenever I see a steam and/or source engine for linux headline, I laugh and skip straight to the comments. They're a far more interesting read.
          I think that maybe the standard process for a good many readers who have posted in this thread. The problem arises when they start making assumptions about being lied to or misled when they didn't bother to read. Imagine if you based all of your news reading on headlines alone.

Originally posted by mirv View Post
          There is no steam or source engine coming to linux, at least not anytime soon.
          I actually expect this is probably the case, but here's to hoping.

Comment

I don't like to point out problems without offering solutions, so here goes:

News items that are not confirmed and rely on speculation should always have their title followed by "?", so that it's clear that the headline is not a statement of fact. I don't know of any other "News" site that I go to which has headlines that can be dis-proven in 5 minutes of fact checking.

Comment

I don't like to point out problems without offering solutions, so here goes:

News items that are not confirmed and rely on speculation should always have their title followed by "?", so that it's clear that the headline is not a statement of fact. I don't know of any other "News" site that I go to which has headlines that can be dis-proven in 5 minutes of fact checking.
              I don't think your suggestion is bad, but the words "looks like" should disambiguate the headline enough. It implies that, from the information the author has gathered, it "looks like" Garry's mod maybe coming to Linux. On the surface it is easy to see that the author had reason to believe this; even though it had not yet been confirmed.

Comment

Phoronix isn't a news site. News implies factual events that have happened or are happening. Phoronix is a monetized blog which implies opinion, rumors, and articles pulled out of Michael's ass to drum up page views and ad revenue. Every time Michael mentions steam on Linux his site traffic (and ad revenue) increases, so in that aspect he's a genius.

Oh and Michael, you'd have better luck convincing people to unblock your ads if you stopped allowing racist organizations to advertise on your site.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                  Phoronix isn't a news site. News implies factual events that have happened or are happening. Phoronix is a monetized blog which implies opinion, rumors, and articles pulled out of Michael's ass to drum up page views and ad revenue. Every time Michael mentions steam on Linux his site traffic (and ad revenue) increases, so in that aspect he's a genius.

Oh and Michael, you'd have better luck convincing people to unblock your ads if you stopped allowing racist organizations to advertise on your site.
                  How the heck do you know when you are blocking his ads? What "racist" organizations?

Comment

Originally posted by moonlitfire View Post
                    It implies that, from the information the author has gathered, it "looks like" Garry's mod maybe coming to Linux.
                    But it doesn't. Not to any other single person not wearing rose-colored glasses.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                      Phoronix isn't a news site.
                      Perhaps it was the "Latest Phoronix News" heading that threw me.

I can't disagree that this level of journalism continually destroys the credibility that his other articles builds in my mind. I'm just about to the point where I can't read headlines like "X.Org Server 1.10.1 Released" without consciously thinking "I should probably verify that with another source before I restate it as fact to anyone."

Comment

Working...
                      X