Looks Like Source-Engine Garry's Mod On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yesterday View Post
    His reporting of the Steam issue has none of those things. And he continues to pretend that somehow his information should be accepted by his readers at face value.
    Had he chosen to phrase his initial article about steam similar to "An anonymous source has informed me that Valve is working on a Linux client for steam" instead of the "ZOMG!!! JESUS CLIENT ON LINUX!!!!!" which was followed up by more articles of the same nature with the same poor choices of wording, none of it would have been an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Larian View Post
      Well, Naib and yogi_berra don't believe it.

I'm not convinced that Michael is making stuff up though. Why? Because if I were in charge at Valve, all the silence, fuzzy side-steps, and secrecy is exactly how I would handle things. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'll be wrong for a good reason - the evidence thus far seems compelling.

But I'm not throwing a party until Valve makes a public announcement. I'll be content to anticipate and hope until then.
      Thats not what I said.
      I believe STEAM is coming to linux. I just don't believe Phoronix reporting on the issue
      There is a big difference

Comment

Originally posted by yesterday View Post
        Your post is not nearly as confronting as you think it is.

Michael's reporting of graphics and hardware issues is pretty good. He is the only guy who really covers the graphics stack and X related desktop stuff in any depth. And most of his reporting is generally backed up with, you know, some form of documentary evidence. Like git logs, chat logs, quotations from people officially invovled with the projects..

His reporting of the Steam issue has none of those things. And he continues to pretend that somehow his information should be accepted by his readers at face value.

If Michael started reporting on the graphics and hardware related stuff with the same approach he took to Steam, then yes, I would leave the site.
        This and that is why I come back.
        I just cringe whenever there is a valve/steam/source news article now

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
        Had he chosen to phrase his initial article about steam similar to "An anonymous source has informed me that Valve is working on a Linux client for steam" instead of the "ZOMG!!! JESUS CLIENT ON LINUX!!!!!" which was followed up by more articles of the same nature with the same poor choices of wording, none of it would have been an issue.
        and that is the issue. He should have posted a retraction or something, you know what real journalists do in light of incorrect reporting (refering to confirmed [never confirmed] or end of summer [that was last summer])
        We are jump the gun, act on speculative infomation, its how we then manage such things that makes the difference.
        I and others feel how phoronix are handling the whole valve thing is very poor.
        go read some of the old articles, esp w.r.t. postal3 (one of the firmest evidence that SOUCE is/was coming to linux, not STEAM mind), even opportunity Michael has he drops the not that people don't believe STEAM is coming to linux (and refers to an old phoronix article)

thing is people just don't believe him, BIG difference. There is enough proof out there to show that some work was done on STEAM for linux but to then stretch that to "confirmed" to then hold onto that with no backing, to then constantly refer to said article is just bad.
        Its not confirmed, it is speculative at the very least, inside information at the most. He should have stated that in the original article (or posted some article later saying "change in stance means STEAM for linux is in limbo) RATHER than holding onto confirmed when it is far from that

Comment

Originally posted by Naib View Post
          Its not confirmed, it is speculative at the very least, inside information at the most. He should have stated that in the original article (or posted some article later saying "change in stance means STEAM for linux is in limbo) RATHER than holding onto confirmed when it is far from that
          Fair enough I suppose. I believe we're tripping up over our definition of "official" though. "Officiality" could be as robust as having Gabe Newell himself green light a secret project. That alone would be sufficient. All that is required for confirmation is asking Valve and being told Steam/Source is still coming, which is what his behavior indicates. I get the feeling you're defining both of these words to equate to a public press release. I don't think that's a good idea in this case.

Michael's writing on the subject takes makes me think there may be something to it. I would expect someone who was just making speculation to have rescinded his claims by now. But that's not what we're seeing. Not even a week ago we were told that Source/Steam wasn't running well on Mesa drivers and had framerate issues (if I remember correctly).

Now tell me if you would (and I'd seriously like to know - all kidding aside) how can we be certain that Michael is not privy to some serious insider info and/or is under some kind of NDA? I find it more likely that Michael has it right than you do, given the evidence. Of course, if you work for Valve (and I don't know, you might... all kinds of people on here), then that would lend enough credibility to your argument for me to take your side.

Yeah, I'm hopeful, but I'm not firing up the barbecue grill until Valve goes public and on the record with the news.

Comment

I believe he was privy to some inside information, i am just pissed at how he has then handled the entire thing.
            STEAM for linux would be big so news on such a thing is big and gets the hopes of quite a few people up.

As to the definition of "confirmed": I am an engineer by trade and for my reports I either have to provide valid citation or indepth calculation to justify every little thing, going downto a particular resistor being chosen over another (power,tolerance,tempCoef, stress... etc).
            Some of his other new has been "no doubt steam coming to linux" or the stuff around the beta client. These all hold great information but with speculation
            We were then faced with the "Confirmed" headline and the citation for this was a passing statement in the Independent newspaper reporting on STEAM for MacOSX
            This was a reasonable valid coupled with some inside information would be more than enough to justify that particular article (which will in a few weeks hit 1year....) but evidently something changed that is clear yet Michael/Phoronix still refer to that one phoronix article as a statement to the doubters that STEAM is coming to linux...

if he just stopped referring to that article, if he just posted some update (instead of citing that one article) I and others wouldn't be pissed. But he isn't

Comment

valve is turning very bad these days , they turn "good" mod into commercials , started with gmod and recently dino-day .

they should have sold the right to create a linux-steam else than hldsupdatetool ....

despite i find hl2 is not a great game [ its something like a css mod singleplayer ] , especially compared to half-life , what made the difference between hl game and others , was the modding community that was really creative .
              there was a lot of aliens in hl while hl2 has only some zombiesss and grunts , plus the xen world that was very cool for combats in space .

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
                I have nothing against posting rumours, and nothing against conjecture, but none of that is really "news", or even journalism.
                You're wrong about this. It's called investigative journalism, and plenty of professional news agencies do it.

Comment

Originally posted by moonlitfire View Post
                  .... It's called investigative journalism, and plenty of professional news agencies do it.
                  after 11/9/2001 and journalists saying "live" that building wtc7 had fallen before it really did ....
                  are you sure of what you think and write ?

Comment

Originally posted by jcgeny View Post
                    after 11/9/2001 and journalists saying "live" that building wtc7 had fallen before it really did ....
                    are you sure of what you think and write ?
                    What you're referring to is the BBC reporting WTC7 collapsing before it did. Have you ever worked in TV or News? When the heat is on mistakes get made. It's the direct result of trying to get news out to people ASAP. What you see in that particular case is a predicted collapse being reported as a collapse. At the time the FDNY had pulled back, and Brian Williams even reported: "What we’ve been fearing all afternoon has apparently happened. We’ve been watching number seven World Trade, which was part of the ancillary damage of the explosion and collapse of the other two."

You can't really compare Phoronix trying to discover any information about Steam games coming to Linux to a journalistic error that happened on 9/11. Not only that but it's off topic as well. We're talking about two completely different things here.

Comment

Originally posted by moonlitfire View Post
                      You're wrong about this. It's called investigative journalism, and plenty of professional news agencies do it.
                      Yes, and they're forced to retract comments that are false. Magazines make up lies all the time - and get sued by the people they're defaming all the time too (even then, those magazines don't actually say anything official, but enter it into gossip columns).
                      Now if phoronix had a gossip column, or was linked to from semiaccurate, it'd be a different story.
                      Interesting you chose the word "investigative" there too - obviously there was no investigation into this particular thread's topic. Not even a confirmation email to the mod author.
                      Granted this particular posting reads more like a Women's Day gossip section, but it's still beating a dead horse.

Comment

Working...
                      X