No announcement yet.

Unigine OilRush Pre-Order For Linux Now Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cannot get game working with 260.x and 270.x drivers.

Always ends up with:
    Code:
    #0  0xe4304225 in ?? () from /usr/lib32/libnvidia-glcore.so.260.19.36
    Cannot access memory at address 0x5
    or
    Code:
    #0  0xe42f2465 in ?? () from /usr/lib32/libnvidia-glcore.so.270.18
    Cannot access memory at address 0x5
    Unigine Heaven 2.5 works fine though.

PS
    64bit build would be much appreciated. Heaven demo already includes binaries for both 32 and 64 bit, so this hopefully shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again for great job!
    Rob
    email: [email protected]

Comment

lol I spoke too soon. It seems that heaven 2.5 has the same problem on x86 build. I highly suspect is might be Gentoo specific though. 64bit build works just fine. I'll keep digging.
      Rob

Comment

Found it. These problems aren't Gentoo specific after all, but are caused by truly stupid thing. They are caused by noexec mounting option on /tmp. Remounting with exec fixes the problem. Not ideal but works.
        Rob

Comment

Preordered, and downloaded

Preordered mine and downloaded it to home through ssh. Can't wait to get home and give it a go.

Thanks for supporting Linux!

Comment

Originally posted by dagger View Post
            Great!

So far the most common crash happens here - http://paste.pocoo.org/show/347087/
            That's on
            OpenGL renderer: GeForce GTX 280M/PCI/SSE2
            OpenGL version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 256.53

I will try different version of nVidia driver to see if problem lies in libGL.so.1's glGetIntegerv
            Same crash backtrace on 260.x 270.x
            Rob

Comment

Originally posted by dagger View Post
              Found it. These problems aren't Gentoo specific after all, but are caused by truly stupid thing. They are caused by noexec mounting option on /tmp. Remounting with exec fixes the problem. Not ideal but works.

known issue, this is a known fix for Heroes Of Newerth.

So far this game is playing really well. I streamed it on JTV for a bit so people could see what is it like
              as a fun tower defence game is is nice. The attention to detail is impressive, I found myself following an orca while a tower was being taken

Comment

Running like a charm here so far. I've been running through the tutorials because I suck at strategy games so I need all the tutoring I can get. Everything is running pretty smooth so far with all graphical options maxed out.

Comment

Originally posted by binstream View Post
                  Yes, we do.
                  If I buy it on Steam, will I get Linux version too and vice versa?

Comment

mmm just got a crash:

Loading "environment_day_cloudy.cpp" 1804ms
                    Loading "waterwar/materials/waterwar_environment.mat" 59 materials 16ms
                    Loading "waterwar/materials/waterwar_military.mat" 66 materials 14ms
                    Loading "waterwar/materials/waterwar_sfx.mat" 40 materials 5ms
                    Loading "waterwar/materials/waterwar_marker.mat" 26 materials 5ms
                    Loading "waterwar/materials/waterwar_buildings.mat" 51 materials 11ms
                    Loading "waterwar/config/game_objects.prop" 13 properties 1ms
                    Loading "waterwar/config/game_objects_building.prop" 11 properties 1ms
                    Loading "waterwar/config/game_objects_unit.prop" 11 properties 2ms
                    Loading "waterwar/config/game_objects_tower.prop" 10 properties 2ms
                    Loading "waterwar/config/game_objects_group.prop" 20 properties 0ms
                    Loading "waterwar/config/game_objects_npc.prop" 2 properties 0ms
                    Loading "waterwar/config/camera.prop" 1 property 0ms
                    Loading "waterwar/config/maps.prop" 18 properties 1ms
                    Loading "waterwar/config/sound.prop" 28 properties 0ms
                    Loading "waterwar/config/trail.prop" 5 properties 0ms
                    Loading "waterwar/config/super_weapons.prop" 12 properties 1ms
                    Loading "waterwar/config/explosion.prop" 24 properties 1ms
                    Loading "waterwar/config/fire.prop" 9 properties 0ms
                    Loading "waterwar/config/bullet.prop" 7 properties 0ms
                    Loading "waterwar/config/talent_tree.prop" 23 properties 0ms
                    Loading "waterwar/config/talent_list.prop" 23 properties 1ms
                    Loading "waterwar/config/cut_scene.prop" 19 properties 0ms
                    Loading "waterwar/config/behaviors.prop" 25 properties 0ms
                    Loading "waterwar/config/game_objects_unit_weapon.prop" 27 properties 1ms
                    Loading "environment_day_cloudy.world" 382ms
                    Init game
                    File common_network_statistics/Oil Spill (1 vs 1)_(3-3-2011_00.29.10).txt for common network statistics opened successfully
                    File synchronization_statistics/Oil Spill (1 vs 1)_(3-3-2011_00.29.10)_sync.txt for synchronization statistics opened successfully
                    Xml:rintUnusedData(): unused argument "reflection_mask=0" in "surface" node in "waterwar/nodes/other/progress_bar.node" file
                    Object::loadWorld(): different surface names "body_lod2" "lights"
                    Game unpaused
                    Received signal SIGSEGV, invalid memory reference
                    Network shutdown

Comment

The tech seems to work mostly fine with the latest Catalyst ATI drivers, stable "and otherwise". I guess that is a compliment in and of itself. After all, the tech is what Unigine was founded for.

There's some weirdness at certain angles when viewing the water; the sunset reflections seem to periodically flicker in and out every 5 - 10 seconds or so.

Sound works fine, but qualitatively it seems very incomplete -- only basic gun sounds, no water rushing as you'd expect, no airplane noises or boat motors. Music tracks are basically the same style as Unigine Heaven demos, i.e. industrial but sparse and repetitive.

Graphics are on par with Unigine Heaven demos... so basically the best looking eye candy to be had in a native Linux program.

And since at Phoronix we're so into "reviewing" things that haven't been released and "benchmarking" things using programs that aren't benchmarks, I'll go ahead and "review" OilRush in this early alpha (beta?) state.

UI is terrible. No tooltips. No documentation. No recognizable UI patterns from other games or desktop apps. Only two very brief tutorials will be your holy bible of how to play OilRush. If you want to get into the game, trust me: play through the tutorials. You won't figure anything out otherwise, and you'll just sit there in your quick match unaware of what to do until the AI obliterates you.

The two tutorials are just enough to get you the basic conceptual UI usage you'll need to play a quick match. Other than that, there isn't yet a campaign to speak of.

Quick matches are very basic, with a small smattering of maps, and virtually no game parameter customization options other than AI difficulty.

Gameplay is fast and decisive, with a small number of rock-paper-scissors type offensive units, as well as accompanying rock-paper-scissors defensive units to match. Defensive units cost oil to build, so you have to capture oil derricks for a continual income of oil, so that you can buy defensive units to keep the enemy from taking over your platforms.

Each platform is either a unit-building platform (with a fixed number of "slots" for defensive units), or an oil-mining platform (undefended unless you send units to defend it).

The basic flow of the game involves capture-and-hold on the oil and production platforms. You send out your offensive units, overcome the enemy defenses, and then your units automatically begin to capture the enemy platform. Direct individual unit control appears to be impossible; you either send 25%, 50%, or 100% of the units around one of your platforms to attack an enemy platform, or defend a friendly platform. You have a unit limit determined by the number of production platforms you have.

There's also a tech tree: the more enemy units you kill (neutral defenses or otherwise), the more you get XP, then you level up. You can spend your level up points on passive abilities that enhance all your units, or on activated abilities such as revealing the map and enemy platform debuffs.

The "strategy" of the game comes down to effective use of your skill points' activated abilities, and effective countering of enemy defenses. Since you can't directly control how many of each unit your platforms build, and you can't select just one unit to send to the front lines, you pretty much have to finagle the 25%/50%/100% counters and shuffle your units around until you get mostly the unit formation you want circling around one of your platforms -- then send them to an enemy platform, whose defensive structures and/or units would hopefully be vulnerable to the units you're sending. After a certain point, you'll probably have enough momentum that the enemy won't be able to muster a large enough force to match yours, and you can just beat them down until you've taken their last platform.

I know that there are months yet until the game is released, but I am very dubious about how much more can be done to flesh out the game (besides adding an interesting campaign) in such a short time. Actual strategic depth is sorely lacking. The game's shallowness ranks it among titles like Dawn of War II, O.R.B., and Supreme Commander 2 as far as lack of content and base-building. For examples of other RTS games that are the polar opposite of this simplistic style, see Sins of a Solar Empire, Supreme Commander 1 (not 2), or Anno 1404.

I'll be frank: unless the campaign is as engrossing as a Bioware game, the game mechanics and units alone will not keep me interested for long, if the variety of units and abilities that currently stands does not improve by more than an order of magnitude in the months between now and June. Because the game looks and feels like a tech demo, I have to give it an overall score of 6 / 10. Here's the lowdown.

Graphics: 10. Unchallenged on Linux. But if you want pretty graphics and no content, you can watch Unigine Heaven 2.5 for free instead.

Sound and Music: 8. What's there is good, and I would be absolutely stunned if they didn't flesh out the sound some more before release. They seem to have a good team doing sound/music, but we need more of it.

RTS Type: "New Wave" (no / shallow base building and tech; simple "streamlined" RPS strategy).

Gameplay: 2. See RTS Type for explanation why. In a word, "booooo-ooooooring." Maybe it's because I've played too many RTSes in the past, but there is nothing conceptually simulating or complex about any of the mechanics, so there is nothing keeping me addicted to the game for gameplay reasons. And for what it's worth, the games I've played the longest and have been most memorable were games that had innovative, complex gameplay.

Storyline: 0. OK, to be fair, the story isn't written yet, but seriously, what are the chances it'll be even half as good as the mediocre stuff EA puts out in recent C&C games?

Overall: 6. Maybe I'm just a pessimist, but it seems Unigine has been significantly over-extending themselves, and over-estimating their abilities on this project as far as delivering an actual game that's more than a tech demo. Maybe it's only supposed to be a tech demo right now; but going from tech demo to fully-fledged game in under 6 months is a feat not even Blizzard or Valve could pull off. EA could do it, but it'd be a bang-up job and barely scrape 75/100 on reviews primarily thanks to EA kickbacks.

A good game takes a lot of UI work; a lot of tender love and care to details like game balance; an extremely creative author to write the background universe and storyline; and excellent management to make sure that every nook and cranny of the epic storyline gets worked into the game mechanics. Without these things, there's no lasting appeal, and it's just a game. Ordinary games gather dust in my digital library (or on my CD shelf, as the case may be) in a matter of weeks. Good games never seem to fully go away: even after years I have the craving to install them again just to experience the thrill of them once more.

I wanted the first, best-looking game for native Linux to be a good game, but as a hobbyist gamer since middle school, there is nothing new for me to see here, and I will probably just let Unigine keep my $20 and move right along.

I will try the release in June (or later, if they delay it again), and see if I have to eat my words. But after having played through so many betas and alphas, I think I can judge a game pretty well right out of the gate, and get a feel for where it's going. Few games have ever proven me wrong on that count. My gut feeling right now is that Unigine ought to stick to selling engine licenses -- I think I speak for everyone when I say that I am blown away by the performance and graphical quality of the Unigine engine. Their company doesn't deserve to get their first game shot to a bloody pulp by reviewers and earn themselves a bad name -- but if they release OilRush without some major gameplay changes, I think that's where they're headed.

Comment

Working...
                      X