Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Rage for Linux

I'm sorry.

I start hating id software.. theier linux guru said some months ago (do not take it by word) he wants to be beaten if he do not find time to make a Linux version... seems like those money monkeys screwed his plans.
    Sad. Very sad.

Comment

That's hardly conclusive or official. They don't even mention their source

Comment

Found this interview: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...etter-opengl/1

Does not talk about Rage but OpenGL, and I don't like what Carmack is saying.

Last chances for Linux to survive as a viable gaming platform (recent games, not indie or emulated, you know) were Quake Wars and UT3... one of them abandoned early, the other killed before even knowing its possibilities.

Comment

I thought it came out somehow that the basic position was that there would be no marketed/supported Linux or OS X ports, but that someone at id might still do it as a spare time project after the game ships.

Comment

Originally posted by marakaid View Post
            Found this interview: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...etter-opengl/1

Does not talk about Rage but OpenGL, and I don't like what Carmack is saying.

Last chances for Linux to survive as a viable gaming platform (recent games, not indie or emulated, you know) were Quake Wars and UT3... one of them abandoned early, the other killed before even knowing its possibilities.
            How about this bit?

'It is really just inertia that keeps us on OpenGL at this point,' Carmack told us. He also explained that the developer has no plans to move over to Direct3D, despite its advantages.

'OpenGL still works fine,' said Carmack, 'and we wouldn?t get any huge benefits by making the switch, so I can?t work up much enthusiasm for cleaning it out of our codebase. If it was just a matter of the game code, we could quite quickly produce a DirectX PC executable, but all of our tool code has to share resources with the game renderer, and I wouldn?t care to go over all of that for a dubious win.'

His criticisms are valid, so it shouldn't be what he says that you don't like, it should be why he's saying it -- OpenGL has gotten bogged down, and its usefulness is starting to decrease. Some of the issues parallel some found in X; they're trying to maintain backwards compatibility, but that costs them the ability to make significant innovations and advances.

Perhaps a new standard for graphics is needed? What has been learnt over the past couple of decades could help to future-proof it a bit better.

Comment

Linux support for Rage will come down to the decision of ID's new owner/publisher Zenimax.
              And if you dont see any news confirming there will be linux support then chances are there wont be, at least its more honest than what was done with UT3.

Comment

Working...
              X