Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Huh, id Tech 5 Engine To Be Open-Source?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
    It was a marketing ploy to increase page views and pre-orders from the Phoronix readership.

Has anyone mentioned whether Bethesda was using this engine for TES5?
    I can't remember the source right now. I think it was on IGN. But Bethesda said they will be using a next iteration of the engine used in Oblivion for Skyrim.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
      It was a marketing ploy to increase page views and pre-orders from the Phoronix readership.

Has anyone mentioned whether Bethesda was using this engine for TES5?
      No. I too thought Bethesda might do this when Skyrim was first announced but they came out and said that TES V will neither be using idTech 5 nor Gamebryo, but rather an all new engine.

Comment

It will be open sourced but not in the next 7 to 10 years.

Comment

The Linux fanatics at [Phoronix] spotted an interesting note on the RAGE Website suggesting id's Tech 5 engine will be open source, as it reads: "Developed by id Software, id Tech 5 is an advanced open source engine capable of creating incredible environments." John Carmack made comments at QuakeCon 2007 saying Tech 5 would be released as open source a few years into its life (like their previous game engines), so we wrote the id Technical Director to ask if the engine was actually going to be open source upon the release of RAGE, and he clarified that this was a mistake on the website, and it will be corrected.

why do you publish a new with only a picture ?
          Phoronix => no comment ...

Comment

Having a native linux client for next Id title using Tech5 will already be a freaking good news, for which it's not sure at all that this linux client will ever see day light...

And in the same line, would you like to see UT3 open-sourced, or Electronic Arts starting to deliver linux native ports of their games ?

When I think that Epic did an Iphone version of their game and are not even able to compile and deliver a linux client that already exists...

Comment

I don't trust this until I see it (have the code in my hands).
              Furthermore: Is it "open source" or "free as in freedom"? "open source" alone doesn't do anything. E.g. you could not port it to Linux if you can read the sauce but may not change it.
              Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

It appears the website has been corrected.

Comment

German version of the page shows

"id tech is an advanced, open source engine developed by id, that is able to create unbelievable surroundings"
                  (transl. from German, but you can read the "open source" still there.)

Comment

Damn, didn't a certain Michael want to do something about the 1 minute edit limit? And better premium logins?

Anyway here the "edit":

The Official Website of RAGE 2- Insanity is awaiting! Buy RAGE 2 today. Watch new trailers, gameplay footage, and sign-up to stay updated on the latest RAGE 2 news.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                      It wasn't defined other then it's literal meaning:

open: Affording unobstructed entrance and exit; not shut or closed

source: such as a person or document, that supplies information
                      I understand it wasn't defined, the real question is, was it used?
                      Can you find a reference of when someone used them together before Open Source was coined?

I can say flatscreen TV, but that doesn't mean anyone used those two words together when the first TV came...

Comment

Working...
                      X