Blizzard Still Has a World of Warcraft Linux Client

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    Heh... I don't think he actually cares if he's pushing a blown argument there, destroyed by his own "facts" he used to defend his position.
    Besides if you REALLY want to push the issue many of iD's earlier titles have never been ported as well.

Comment

Appstream.

Well maybe maybe some were aware of this, but here's the solution for that problem. Appstream. Someone needs to tell Blizzard about it, and maybe they will release the linux client.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've been thinking, if projects like this one, continue to appear, then this will be the "linux desktop's year".

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        Besides if you REALLY want to push the issue many of iD's earlier titles have never been ported as well.
        Which earlier titles? Commander Keen? Heh... That'd be the only "earlier" title range that's not been ported that I know of- but that's not been ported to anything off the PC to the best of my recollection. Pretty much everything else from Wolfenstein 3D forward has had a port if it's been iD's actual title.

Comment

Originally posted by Nameless View Post
          Well maybe maybe some were aware of this, but here's the solution for that problem. Appstream. Someone needs to tell Blizzard about it, and maybe they will release the linux client.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've been thinking, if projects like this one, continue to appear, then this will be the "linux desktop's year".
          Well Appstream still doesn't "fix" the problem. It is just a front end for packagekit that still relies on each different distros packaging and package management.

Comment

Which earlier titles? Commander Keen? Heh... That'd be the only "earlier" title range that's not been ported that I know of- but that's not been ported to anything off the PC to the best of my recollection. Pretty much everything else from Wolfenstein 3D forward has had a port if it's been iD's actual title.
            Well that's one. The other earlier ones were later source ported (not by iD) such as Wolfenstien 3d, Heretic, Hexen, or didn't have a port at all such as rescue rover, hovertank, catacombs, dangerous dave. I might also add that many of the iD games were also done out of house but still received linux clients. In fact Quake 4 has the same crew who developed Wolfenstein, Raven adn QW's were done by Splash Damage.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              Well that's one. The other earlier ones were later source ported (not by iD) such as Wolfenstien 3d, Heretic, Hexen, or didn't have a port at all such as rescue rover, hovertank, catacombs, dangerous dave. I might also add that many of the iD games were also done out of house but still received linux clients. In fact Quake 4 has the same crew who developed Wolfenstein, Raven adn QW's were done by Splash Damage.
              Heh...

Let's do this by the numbers:

Wolfenstein 3D - Source provided. Why port an old game no longer making sales?

Heretic, Hexen - Raven did these (like the new Wolfenstein...) but they did the same thing with Wolfenstein 3D much for the same reasons.

Rescue Rover, Hovertank, Catacombs, Dangerous Dave - Same story as Keen... Nobody but DOS PC's have a version of this.

Quake 4 - Jointly Developed between iD and Raven. Since iD had an involvement, TTimo was involved to do a port there.

In short, you had a small point about the old DOS titles, but your info on the others is off. Wrong. That's the point I'm trying to make on all of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Nameless View Post

Appstream allows you to frame in a universal installer framework. It does nothing to solve the concerns of library incompatibilities. That problem, however, has largely been solved so...combine this and what I and others have accomplished and you might be right.

Comment

Wolfenstein 3D - Wolf3D opengl port happend.
                  Heretic, Hexen - Doomsday can play these. Engine is a little modified doom.
                  Commander Keen - Source would be published, but it is lost.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                    Wolfenstein 3D - Wolf3D opengl port happend.
                    Heretic, Hexen - Doomsday can play these. Engine is a little modified doom.
                    Commander Keen - Source would be published, but it is lost.
                    iD had no involvement in the ports other then releasing the source.

Comment

Quake 4 - Jointly Developed between iD and Raven. Since iD had an involvement, TTimo was involved to do a port there.
                      You know every reference refers to Raven being the developer. Also you kind of forgot about Quake Wars that to was outsourced to a 3rd party. You might also want to take a look here:

Wolfenstein: Youngblood is the first modern co-op Wolfenstein adventure. Team up with a friend or play solo as one of BJ Blazkowicz’s twin daughters and wield a powerful arsenal of new weapons, gadgets, and abilities to liberate Paris from the Nazis.

The Developers

Raven Software is a market-leading and award-winning computer game software developer based in Middleton, Wisconsin. Since its inception in 1990, Raven's core has always been centered on graphic excellence and superb gameplay. With this focus, Raven has established a stability few in the ever-changing computer software industry have been able to achieve. As new technologies and trends continue to develop everyday, Raven remains dedicated to surpassing new levels of quality in electronic gaming.
                      Founded in 1990 by brothers Brian and Steve Raffel, Raven Software has gone from a five-person company with a dream of creating a role-playing game for the Amiga, to the developer of recent groundbreaking titles like MARVEL: ULTIMATE ALLIANCEand X-Men II: Rise of the Apocalypse. Since its inception, Raven Software has developed some of the most critically acclaimed games on the market.
                      id - Defined by Freud as the primal section of the human psyche; id Software, located in Mesquite, Texas, was founded in 1991. From inception to present day, id Software has relentlessly provided technical, design and artistic leadership as an independent game developer and technology provider. Transcending the games industry, id's iconic brands such as Wolfenstein, DOOM, QUAKE and Enemy Territory have become staples of popular culture for generations of gamers. More information on id Software can be found at www.idsoftware.com.

Comment

Working...
                      X