No announcement yet.

Blizzard Still Has a World of Warcraft Linux Client

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe Blizzard gets anything free from Microsoft if they don't publish their Linux WoW client. If I consider that 1 developer of NGD studios worked on their Linux client (game: Regnum online), I think it can't be that hard for Blizzard technically to make a linux client which works on most linux plattforms.

Comment

boohoohoo linux fragmentation! Give me a break there are a bunch of closed source linux games, doom3 and world of goo to name a few. Just do these two things:

1. list dependancies

2. target ubuntu

With those two things done guess what 99% of linux users will get it to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
        Maybe Blizzard gets anything free from Microsoft if they don't publish their Linux WoW client. If I consider that 1 developer of NGD studios worked on their Linux client (game: Regnum online), I think it can't be that hard for Blizzard technically to make a linux client which works on most linux plattforms.
        Why would they pay to keep it from Linux but not Mac?

Comment

Originally posted by Moller View Post
          Why would they pay to keep it from Linux but not Mac?
          Because it's easier to believe that, instead of the more likely truth: they just don't give a fuck about linux users.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
            Because it's easier to believe that, instead of the more likely truth: they just don't give a fuck about linux users.
            Yup, it often sounds better to create a conspiracy theory then to face the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
              Thanks for the obligatory wikipedia link showing that you failed to retain the relevant parts of the "will they port discussion" before Wolfenstein was released.

It is not an iD game, it is a Raven game using iD's IP and engine that were licensed for the game.
              Heh... I don't think he actually cares if he's pushing a blown argument there, destroyed by his own "facts" he used to defend his position.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                Yup, it often sounds better to create a conspiracy theory then to face the truth.
                Just like it's easier to make up "the truth" sometimes, deanjo.

Comment

There are SEVERAL things going on here...

1) They don't see the numbers as being enough to bother with. Without sales figures to go on, they have to buy into the weak stuff IDC and elsewhere give out and then extrapolate. Even though there's the liklihood of there "being enough money" in the lInux space, they don't have anything (yet!) to make it a concrete value to make a business proposition to do the rest of the work.

2) They don't have all that many Linux people in the company. Sam Lantiga's one of them, but he's not involved with the stuff we're discussing- and if they don't ask, typically you don't offer insights because it's easier to just do what they ask of you within a company that big.

3) Because of 1 and 2, they've not researched the current landscape for things and are going off of pretty old info. Because of that, they're unwilling to risk things on the maybes and ifs they've got in hand right now. We tell them something and there's enough of us to have them say we've got internal builds, but we can't support them so we can't give them to you. If they saw bigger figures, they'd research things and find out the things we know about the landscape on the systems. It's not at all hard to support most of the distributions out there- nothing like many studios have implied. The story's far removed from things.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                    Heh... I don't think he actually cares if he's pushing a blown argument there, destroyed by his own "facts" he used to defend his position.
                    I suggest you fire up the game Svartalf and tell me what you see on the very fist thing that pops up, oh ya, it's iD.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                      make up "the truth"
                      Thats an oxymoron.

Comment

Working...
                      X