GameTree Linux Is Trying To Be Its Own Steam-Like Platform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Remco View Post
    Codeweavers can work with Valve and its clients to guarantee compatibility of games that are officially released for Linux.
    And Transgaming can't? After all transgaming is already working with that 10,000 lbs gorilla in the corner called EA.

Comment

Steam is still coming to Linux with the Source Engine,
      Steam for Linux has already been released Christmas of 2007!

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        And Transgaming can't? After all transgaming is already working with that 10,000 lbs gorilla in the corner called EA.
        They can, too.

Comment

Doubtful

Cedega didn't have the best track record for me. I was a subscriber for 8 months, back in the day.

One of the "Gold" games they "supported" (EverQuest) was completely fubared by an expansion about a month or two into my subscription. After that, it was unplayable (unless you just wanted to spend a lot of time looking for your corpse after random crashes or staring at white textures). I filed a bug report, and numerous people complained of the same problems in the official TransGaming forums.

Six months later, not only had nothing been done to address the bugs, but the game was still listed as "Gold" on their list of supported games. That's when I left. I got it working with plain Wine, and it worked fine from then until I quit playing it.

YMMV, but I don't think I'll be checking out GameTree.

Comment

IMHO: Native games or GTFO!

(Yes I know that means I won't get a lot of games on Linux in the near future.)

Also, the GOTY 2010 (according to some) is available for Linux (Minecraft).

Comment

Transgaming only has a great track record if you ate a lot of leaded paint chips as a child. About the only thing interesting is that developers can use gametree to support their product instead of dealing with the shit storm that is the Linux graphics, audio, and input stacks.

Like Chris Cox's explanation on why Photoshop won't be ported anytime soon: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3231810#3231810

Que someone saying: "Nu uh... Linux is teh bomb!"

Fix the underlying problems and companies might actually port their programs.

Comment

I'm sorry, but that's Adobe. You expected anything different? They've got an enormous code base, using a lot of OS resources, which would take years to port to a foreign system. Without a huge market, they're not going to do it. Don't listen to the noise about bad architecture.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                  Uh...no...they gave an answer that denied working on it at that time. BIG difference there. It's the typical PR non-committal answer you should expect when they've got plans, but they're not completed yet. A denial would have been, "No we're not working on it and won't be for the forseeable future"- which isn't what they gave everybody.
                  Hmm... I seem to remember another company that appears often on this forum that seems quite like this... Cough, cough, ATI/AMD, cough. I swear, some people are going to flip for things that happen with a certain driver with this month's release.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    exactly why i want to see this crap. It can either greatly succeed or greatly fail. Companies fail to see the potential benefit in porting games to linux. There is a chance that Mr. Fatfuck with his black suit and fathers day tie might look at Transgamings success and see the market value (although skewed), in dollars and cents. And if it fails? well good.

Transgaming has their foot in the door already with the worlds largest game publisher, thats a huge deal.

Comment

see
                      gametreemac.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, gametreemac.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

maybe transgaming not valve will help linux to get attention from wide developers audience

Comment

Working...
                      X