GameTree Linux Is Trying To Be Its Own Steam-Like Platform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    You're presuming one thing you shouldn't... "Less money". Why would they make "less money"? If it's a systematic loss of a Windows one and you're shipping SKUs at the same time or very close to it- why would you see a loss of money? You wouldn't, L33F3R.
    assuming it costs money to pay a programmer, then yes it would, Svartalf.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
      There's LittleCMS.
      Ever tried using lcms with a color calibrator? Right, thought not.

Why does everybody keep saying that audio on linux is bad? Just exactly what's wrong? I never had problems with audio. I even know that some audio engineers use linux for DAW work, so if it's all that bad and terrible why do they use it and why does it work so well for me and most other users?
      Obviously, everyone else is just wrong.

Once more, this time with feeling:
      That guy was saying that linux users aren't willing to pay for software. This simply isn't true because there are SOME users who would certainly pay IF the software they need was available.
      Here's the thing that you are missing from Chris Cox's posts, outside of the VFX/Animation studios, no one is interested in Photoshop on Linux so there is no reason to deal with the architectural problems and the added cost of porting.

If GameTree is similar to Transgaming's cider product, some studios may be interested in using it rather than dealing with a native port. Granted its Transgaming so they'll screw it up somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
        Why does everybody keep saying that audio on linux is bad? Just exactly what's wrong? I never had problems with audio.
        Obviously, everyone else is just wrong.
        That wasn't a rhetorical question I asked. I really want to know what the problem is, and since you seem to know please tell me so I become more informed.

Here's the thing that you are missing from Chris Cox's posts, outside of the VFX/Animation studios, no one is interested in Photoshop on Linux so there is no reason to deal with the architectural problems and the added cost of porting.
        And in the Windows world how many users outside of the VFX/Animation studios have actually bought a legit copy of photoshop?

Comment

That wasn't a rhetorical question I asked. I really want to know what the problem is, and since you seem to know please tell me so I become more informed.
          We're in transition from ALSA to PulseAudio, and it's a bumpy ride. Mostly though, audio has never been better. We now have support for stuff like bluetooth headsets, changing audio devices on the fly, or even routing audio sources based on type, network audio, per-application volume management. It's still ALSA underneath, but the userspace part has been greatly improved.

But, this expanded scope has exposed bugs in the audio stack, and PA itself has bugs. Some people here have experienced the early transition period, where PA was pretty much unusable. So, obviously, any bug in the audio system continues to be an example of that utter brokenness.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
            Why the hell would game companies want people to switch to linux. There are people like me that will gladly buy a windows title. Dont get me wrong i would live to game on linux but it doesnt make sense to think that companies are going to go out of there way to make less money. This is not how the world works. In this situation the purchase of a linux title is the systematic loss of a windows one.
            Says who? Since I've switched to Linux, I just bought less games. Bought some indie games that do run on Linux, but in general.. I wanted to play GTA IV, would have happily forked out the money on release day, but it doesn't run on Linux. Only recently it's sort-of possible to run it on Wine, but it's slow and a LOT of trouble. So much in fact I didn't succeed in getting it to run.

I'd say that's a lost sale.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
              assuming it costs money to pay a programmer, then yes it would, Svartalf.
              That depends on the programmer. In general, your coders aren't magically incapable of doing work on either OS. Certainly I'm not. You still presume more than you should there.

Comment

And in the Windows world how many users outside of the VFX/Animation studios have actually bought a legit copy of photoshop?
                The proper answer would be: "Very few..."

Comment

Ever tried using lcms with a color calibrator? Right, thought not.
                  Is that the color management system's problem or a device one? And if it's a device one...why are you blaming the lack of a CMS for things there?

If GameTree is similar to Transgaming's cider product, some studios may be interested in using it rather than dealing with a native port. Granted its Transgaming so they'll screw it up somehow.
                  I'd have to agree...on all parts of that remark...

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
                    We're in transition from ALSA to PulseAudio, and it's a bumpy ride. Mostly though, audio has never been better. We now have support for stuff like bluetooth headsets, changing audio devices on the fly, or even routing audio sources based on type, network audio, per-application volume management. It's still ALSA underneath, but the userspace part has been greatly improved.

But, this expanded scope has exposed bugs in the audio stack, and PA itself has bugs. Some people here have experienced the early transition period, where PA was pretty much unusable. So, obviously, any bug in the audio system continues to be an example of that utter brokenness.
                    I had less problems with sound with at least my stuff once I moved to OpenAL/cAudio. I suspect the same would apply with Miles or irrKlang (and maybe FMOD EX...).

The biggest impediment is more perception on things than anything else. It's not CMS. It's not really Sound (I've witnessed as much woes with sound on Windows as we're having...). It's not really 3D, per se.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                      The proper answer would be: "Very few..."
                      Hardly, the correct answer would be many. Joe at home usually buys it at a "student price". Staples for example sells tons of these. Also any business that does Photoshop work also usually has legitimate copies (unless maybe in Russia or China). They obviously sell enough to drive a multi-billion dollar company.

The other issues about a port to linux is that Photoshop is very rarely used on it's own solely so unless all the other products they use are ported as well there is very little reason to switch to another OS.

Comment

Working...
                      X