An Exclusive Preview Of Unigine's OilRush Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mirv View Post
    I'm pretty sure they're wanting to use OpenGL 3.x or 4.x, which is only fully available through the blobs. Not sure that moving everything back to 2.x would be wise for them at this stage, or even feasible from a performance point of view.
    It will be nice when (s3tc problems aside) the open source drivers reach OpenGL 3.x and associated GLSL compatibility levels.
    I'm pretty sure his suggestion was for at developer to work on getting the drivers to OpenGL 3.x/4.x - not to move the engine to 2.x!

Comment

Originally posted by anbog View Post
      I'm pretty sure his suggestion was for at developer to work on getting the drivers to OpenGL 3.x/4.x - not to move the engine to 2.x!
      Erg, you're right, damn I'm having a bad day for reading. Sorry all!

Comment

Originally posted by nite View Post
        My comment was based on that if they make a lot of money (and I believe they will and they deserve all of it), paying one dev should be pretty marginal, while it would make their engine more compatible on linux, ultimately improving the user experience and getting them more players like me who refuse to break their system for the sake of gaming. Just an idea. You see other companies investing into opensource because it helps their business, but those don't invest into 3D much, because it doesn't help them directly. It does benefit Unigine directly though.
        I believe Linux gamers are like 4% at best (based on UT2K4's numbers). I can't find the article anymore but I thought it was 4% (link anyone?)

So, it is not likely they will make a lot of money on us. Besides, they have a lot of other expenses as well. Making the engine able to run on Linux out of the box is no small feat.

And even if they wanted to, they can't. One of the X.org guys said here on Phoronix that they have enough money for it but they can not find more people to do it. (http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showp...34&postcount=2)

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
          I believe Linux gamers are like 4% at best (based on UT2K4's numbers). I can't find the article anymore but I thought it was 4% (link anyone?)
          Ok, but the situation is not the same.

First, its not 2004 (or when was the game released? Don't know anything about it) anymore. The graphics on linux are in a much better shape, you can at least talk about gaming on linux without being laughed at

Second, the game is different. I have a feeling Oil Rush is more the type of a game a linux user would like.

Look at the Humble Bundle 2 ratio of linux users to have a closer approximation of how it might turn out I'd say.

So, it is not likely they will make a lot of money on us. Besides, they have a lot of other expenses as well. Making the engine able to run on Linux out of the box is no small feat.
          True that. I can't know what it means for them. Just saying it would be nice

And even if they wanted to, they can't. One of the X.org guys said here on Phoronix that they have enough money for it but they can not find more people to do it. (http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showp...34&postcount=2)
          Not sure about that, but GSoC is not the same as getting a full time job. GSoC is only for students. But there sure must be developers willing to work on it and get paid for it?

Anyway, I don't wanna sound ungrateful. They're doing a lot for Linux. I just want the opensource graphics to evolve faster...

Comment

Working...
          X