No announcement yet.

An Exclusive Preview Of Unigine's OilRush Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was so going to buy it, until I've read (and realized) its not gonna run on opensource drivers. And there's no way I'm going to pollute my system with fglrx.

If I buy it anyway (or, more seriously, if the profit from the game is high enough), would Unigine pay one dev to work on improving Mesa and Gallium3D performance?

Hell, I'll probably buy it just for their support of Linux gaming anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by nite View Post
      I was so going to buy it, until I've read (and realized) its not gonna run on opensource drivers. And there's no way I'm going to pollute my system with fglrx.

If I buy it anyway (or, more seriously, if the profit from the game is high enough), would Unigine pay one dev to work on improving Mesa and Gallium3D performance?

Hell, I'll probably buy it just for their support of Linux gaming anyway.
      Seriously, why don't you take his whole arm?

The guys over at Unigengine are being really nice and your still demanding more? How about this: you buy it and i'll promise you it will be playable on opensource drivers some time into the future...

Comment

Originally posted by binstream View Post
        Can you suggest one?

Windowed mode doesn't grab your mouse, you can still use other applications. Alt+Tab works in Windows, but we still haven't implemented it in Linux because there is way too much different DEs with different key bindings.
        I use the trick of running Unigine as a windowed app but making the geometry the same as my screens resolution and getting KDE to hide the windows decorations. For some reason though KDE usually doesn't remember it's settings for unigine (it does for practically everything else).

Comment

Originally posted by kayosiii View Post
          I use the trick of running Unigine as a windowed app but making the geometry the same as my screens resolution and getting KDE to hide the windows decorations. For some reason though KDE usually doesn't remember it's settings for unigine (it does for practically everything else).
          That trick won't work very well with multiple monitors, so I do hope the UI of oilrush can take that into account.

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
            That trick won't work very well with multiple monitors, so I do hope the UI of oilrush can take that into account.
            Actually It does - we sometimes work with a cusom 3 projector settup. The trick is to make the geometry as big as all three screens. There may be an issue with screens with different resolution But I don't know if there is a sane way to deal with that.

Comment

Actually It does - we sometimes work with a cusom 3 projector settup. The trick is to make the geometry as big as all three screens. There may be an issue with screens with different resolution But I don't know if there is a sane way to deal with that.
              I believe that's under the assumption that xinerama (or equivalent) is used to create one large desktop. It doesn't work when using multiple x servers side by side - the mouse won't stay on the one desktop. Sorry, I should've been clearer about that.

Comment

I am really not sure what you would expect to happen in that instance (or why you would want to run multiple X servers in the first place)

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
                  Seriously, why don't you take his whole arm?

The guys over at Unigengine are being really nice and your still demanding more? How about this: you buy it and i'll promise you it will be playable on opensource drivers some time into the future...
                  My comment was based on that if they make a lot of money (and I believe they will and they deserve all of it), paying one dev should be pretty marginal, while it would make their engine more compatible on linux, ultimately improving the user experience and getting them more players like me who refuse to break their system for the sake of gaming. Just an idea. You see other companies investing into opensource because it helps their business, but those don't invest into 3D much, because it doesn't help them directly. It does benefit Unigine directly though.

Comment

I am really not sure what you would expect to happen in that instance (or why you would want to run multiple X servers in the first place)
                    Mainly because it suits some situations better (e16 for example - I don't like that with xinerama, but it works very well with multiple x servers). Not that I intend to play oilrush in windowed mode, but it's still good to have some indications that the Unigine folks are thinking of linux desktop interaction - it will go a long way to making the game more pleasant to play.

Comment

Originally posted by nite View Post
                      My comment was based on that if they make a lot of money (and I believe they will and they deserve all of it), paying one dev should be pretty marginal, while it would make their engine more compatible on linux, ultimately improving the user experience and getting them more players like me who refuse to break their system for the sake of gaming. Just an idea. You see other companies investing into opensource because it helps their business, but those don't invest into 3D much, because it doesn't help them directly. It does benefit Unigine directly though.
                      I'm pretty sure they're wanting to use OpenGL 3.x or 4.x, which is only fully available through the blobs. Not sure that moving everything back to 2.x would be wise for them at this stage, or even feasible from a performance point of view.
                      It will be nice when (s3tc problems aside) the open source drivers reach OpenGL 3.x and associated GLSL compatibility levels.

Comment

Working...
                      X