An Exclusive Preview Of Unigine's OilRush Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post
    And call me pessimistic but screenshots are rather unimpressive. Everything looks plastic, and there are no little details to be spotted.
    We need to see videos, not screenshots to be able to judge the graphics quality. The problem is, major studios usually photoshop their screenshots to add some blur before releasing them. I'm glad michael didn't do that!

When I look at Unigine videos, it is stunning of realism. When I see a screenshot, I feel more like "it's ok". This is the same with other games: http://images.totalgamingnetwork.com...screenshot.jpg (ID Software, rage).

Comment

Originally posted by binstream View Post
      I don't know what was the problem with Michael's test system, but I have 25-30 FPS on my old GeForce 9600 GT / Core 2 Duo 2.6 GHz in real battles with hundreds of units fighting. Linux, proprietary NVIDIA driver.
      He is using Ubuntu, which has low kernel frequency, among other things.
      There is one question all new Linux users ask themselves at one point or another: Which Linux distro do I want to use? The answer to the que...

Also, it seems as if he's using compiz...

Comment

Originally posted by M?P?F View Post
        We need to see videos, not screenshots to be able to judge the graphics quality. The problem is, major studios usually photoshop their screenshots to add some blur before releasing them. I'm glad michael didn't do that!

When I look at Unigine videos, it is stunning of realism. When I see a screenshot, I feel more like "it's ok". This is the same with other games: http://images.totalgamingnetwork.com...screenshot.jpg (ID Software, rage).
        We NEVER edit screenshots, it's strictly forbidden in our studio. However videos give more without a doubt. I hope we'll record some gameplay videos next week and upload them on youtube.

Comment

binstream: I know, that's what I meant but in an offensive way (implying you are not a major studio).

I'm looking forward to seeing a nice HD video (if possible).

Anyway, keep the good work up You're doing wonders on our Linux computers!

Comment

We NEVER edit screenshots, it's strictly forbidden in our studio. However videos give more without a doubt. I hope we'll record some gameplay videos next week and upload them on youtube.
            Would it be possible to upload an unedited HD video on a free sharing site (Youtube HD = worse than DVD quality...), even a very short one?

Also, could you tell us if it's possible to switch back and forth to the desktop when OilRush is in fullscreen mode (either with ALT-TAB or better by sending keys like F1-F4 to the DE, which I set to each of my virtual desktops)? When in windowed mode, do you capture the mouse like Aquaria with no possibility to access other windows, or is it like World of Goo when you can still check your emails & IRC without having to exit the game?

@d2kx : same here, the game looks like it's in such great shape already, and with beta access... Plus it's the kind of game I'm sure I'm going to play too much ;-)

Comment

Personally I don't care about graphics, I care about games.
              And with games I mean gameplay, heck I love to play Railroad Tycoon 2, Stronghold 1, Doom II etc. occasionally.

So what is important to me: Does it make fun?

Comment

This is looking increasingly interesting, hoping for a multiplayer demo!

Comment

Originally posted by miles View Post
                  Would it be possible to upload an unedited HD video on a free sharing site (Youtube HD = worse than DVD quality...), even a very short one?
                  Can you suggest one?

Originally posted by miles View Post
                  Also, could you tell us if it's possible to switch back and forth to the desktop when OilRush is in fullscreen mode (either with ALT-TAB or better by sending keys like F1-F4 to the DE, which I set to each of my virtual desktops)? When in windowed mode, do you capture the mouse like Aquaria with no possibility to access other windows, or is it like World of Goo when you can still check your emails & IRC without having to exit the game?
                  Windowed mode doesn't grab your mouse, you can still use other applications. Alt+Tab works in Windows, but we still haven't implemented it in Linux because there is way too much different DEs with different key bindings.

Comment

Can you suggest one?

Windowed mode doesn't grab your mouse, you can still use other applications. Alt+Tab works in Windows, but we still haven't implemented it in Linux because there is way too much different DEs with different key bindings.
                    I must say that your game looks awesome. I will definitely buy this title.

Comment

I don't know what was the problem with Michael's test system, but I have 25-30 FPS on my old GeForce 9600 GT / Core 2 Duo 2.6 GHz in real battles with hundreds of units fighting. Linux, proprietary NVIDIA driver.
                      Please just make sure the game scales well with 4 or more cores. That would be a great bonus for those of us with lesser gpus, but still interested in this game.

Comment

Working...
                      X